Montecristo Number 2 PUT May 07

» » Will it be terrible tasting or just not up to it's full potential?

» » I split this box with my father and of course I took the extra so I was

» » considering smoking lucky #13. How bad an idea is this?

» »

» » Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't ask you can't know.;-)

»

» Smoking a cigar that has just arrived can taste terrible, bad, good and

» just not as good as it could after a rest period. In my own experience, I

» have found that new arrivals taste superior after a 30-60 day resting

» period to those that just came in off the truck. Only your self control

» and experience will determine your actions.

»

» If you must break the 30-60 day resting period, do yourself an experiment.

» jot down everything you can about the taste, flavors, burn and enjoyment of

» the cigar, then do the same after the 30-60 day period. 99.999999% of the

» time, everyone that I have asked to do this has expressed an opinion that

» the cigar tasted so much better after the resting period that they impose

» the 30-60 day resting period on themselves for the future.

»

» It is a function of having enough inventory on hand to allow new arrivals

» time to rest while you smoke other cigars. Order more and increase

» inventory! Rob & Lisa will take good care of you! :-D

I guess you missed the part where I said I have no self control..:-P :-P

I have no doubt that the trip takes something out of the cigars and they taste significantly better after a resting period. In my short time around these parts I've seen enough people much more experienced than me say the same thing to make me believe it. I may just try your experiment because as i keep saying I have no self control... I'll let you know how it goes.

I've already placed my second order, and am now thinking about what my third will be. I think I'm gonna need a bigger Humi!!:-D

» Montecristo Number 2 PUT May 07

»

» it was a pleasure to draw on flavours that I know so well. It

» reminded me so much of my dog which is faithful and sure, ever pleased to see me and knowing what I expect. The aroma was pure Monte...sandlewood, tobacco, cream. The burn was excellent.

» Simple coffee and cream, a little smoked paprika

» spice…medium bodied.

Great review on one of my all time favorites and I love the faithful companion metaphor - quite apt.

The Montecristo No. 2 has always "fit" me just so - the size, flavor, and state of mind it puts me in are all right on. It's similar to finding the right hat, golf club, or gun - you just know it's right.

- Tim

Thanks for making me drool! I just got mine in and letting them rest. They should be ready to go for the holidays. I think I might buy another box or 2 to have on standby!

Thanks Prez!

Brian

• 2 months later...

Montecristo Number 2 PUT May 07

I have recently had Monte 2’s which have taken me to heaven and others which have left me scratching my head wondering what he hell went wrong. I assume that I would smoke more recent stock than most in effect due to the fact that it is what Lisa would “loosely” categorize as my job. I paired today’s cigar with a bottle of Petaluma Riesling 2006.

The cigar in question was selected from an open humidor box. It wasn’t overly pretty, minimum oils on a rather nondescript wrapper but a cigar which I would assess as above average in terms of construction. What I did like about it was an aroma of cedar and milk chocolate which was devoid of ammonia and youth. Hell…..I need to review something and given I have no impending meetings this afternoon, no rugby training, no teacher interviews (love wearing the Ginesha Hindu T’shirt under a jacket to my Sons Catholic school), no meeting with bankers (margin calls) …I thought why the hell not fire up a Monte 2.

image6052.jpg

image6053.jpg

image6054.jpg

Construction as previously stated was excellent. No hard or soft spots, an open foot. Clipped the cap, the draw was a touch over easy but the flavours clean tobacco and sweet cream. Got to love Montecristo.

Fired up the foot with my Lotus table top lighter (3000 lights and going strong) and was welcomed with quintessential Monte flavours of coffee and cream in a mid body format. There was some pepper spice through the nose but it was all an act of bravado as it quickly settled down. I don’t know what it is about good Monte’s which put you in the frame of mind to do some work. I answered Kens inane e-mails, did some banking, made two phone calls to Havana and one to PCC. The Monte 2 performed flawlessly in its delivery of perfectly balanced cream and coffee with a touch of spice. It never was exceptional to the point where I had to focus on it but nonetheless it was a pleasure to draw on flavours that I know so well. It reminded me so much of my dog which is faithful and sure, ever pleased to see me and knowing what I expect. The aroma was pure Monte...sandlewood, tobacco, cream. The burn was excellent.

image6055.jpg

I was anticipating a build up in body come the second third but the Monte 2 was ever relaxed. Simple coffee and cream, a little smoked paprika spice…medium bodied. I taunted it a little with a series of quick draws in an effort to increase the heat and shake its comfort zone but it would have none of it…maintaining its composure.

image6056.jpg

Into the last third and I poured a shot of Santiago rum. It is a mix surely made in heaven. The smoky smooth sweetness of the rum latched on o the cream/coffee of the cigar and brought out the charcoal elements of the final third. The phone rang and I let it go to message bank. I really don’t think that anything goes better with a cigar than neat Cuban rum.

image6057.jpg

Monte 2 was smooth and subtle in its delivery right up to the final draws. No…not an exceptional cigar, just a cigar which honoured it’s pedigree and Marque. I look forward to spending time with another.

89/100 4/6 Smokerings.

image6058.jpg