What's up for the Labor Day Weekend? Throw in some photos for a Canonazo Sampler!

• JohnS changed the title to What's up for the Labor Day Weekend? Throw in some photos for a Canonazo Sampler!

Why do you think that clump of trees in the 2nd photo along the river's edge are dying? Their roots should reach the river so probably not a water problem.

3 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Just enjoying the weather and my RV bus, trying to do a little bbq, smoked some lovely cigars, and went to the county fair. 

Great pictures. Enjoy life! All the best! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2024 at 9:07 PM, Woody Hayes said:

Why do you think that clump of trees in the 2nd photo along the river's edge are dying? Their roots should reach the river so probably not a water problem.

In the end it’s a water problem indeed. In that fluviatile cobble-heavy soil spruce is rooting very shallow. This fact, soil creep (dynamic undercut bank close by) and impact of wind will have worked the root plates loose, disrupting fine-roots-to-soil contact.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Just enjoying the weather and my RV bus, trying to do a little bbq, smoked some lovely cigars and went to the county fair. The corn dogs did not last long enough for the picture!

The sea lions are here in record numbers, probably trying to escape the great whites which are in Monterey Bay in large numbers.

I saw something on the tube the other day regarding record # of sea lions showing up there...of course the Whites follow the food source, a little chicken or the egg thing going on in the area!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KCCubano said:

I saw something on the tube the other day regarding record # of sea lions showing up there...of course the Whites follow the food source, a little chicken or the egg thing going on in the area!

Orcas are a threat too. We have a resident pod that comes and feasts ,and Great Whites arent safe either!

• Like 1