Priced Out Of Cubans

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How hard is it to land that plane?

I don’t know. It did make a terrific crash sound as it hit the tree…

IMG_1044.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 4

Addendum:

$62 parts to repair damage from hitting tree

$200 for computer flight simulator to practice tree avoidance 

Espys? 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, SCgarman said:

How much is a box of Siglo VI or Esplendidos? $2600 USD/box 25. Same amount I paid for my Gibson Les Paul Standard. Those sticks will just go up in smoke. My Les Paul will last me rest of my life, and generations more after me. That is my logic. 

She's a beauty.

• Like 1

I've been flying RC's since the early 90's. I've flown everything except r/c turbines. The 700 sized helicopters are stupid expensive and as we all know what goes up must come down...sometimes in pieces. I refuse to buy foamies. I get the attraction for new flyers (lower cost of entry & they look good), but they don't hold up over time and are actually difficult to repair. Usually a total loss. My current plane is an all carbon fiber "hotliner", a 200mph electric glider.

• Like 4

I flew foamies for several years. Was great at take-offs and flying. Even learned some aerobatics. Landing was sketchy at best. But on the bright side I had a 100% success rate at returning them to earth and became fairly skilled at repairing them. Glad I did it but won't do it again.

• Like 1

Used to race 1/8 nitro buggy. I found it’s not too bad (apart from upfront cost) when you’re racing. But bashing around a carpark always resulted in damage hitting kerbs and trees etc. 

Where in the hell you get the typhoon for 150?

1 hour ago, LordAnubis said:

Used to race 1/8 nitro buggy. I found it’s not too bad (apart from upfront cost) when you’re racing. But bashing around a carpark always resulted in damage hitting kerbs and trees etc. 

Where in the hell you get the typhoon for 150?

Hangar 18 hobbies in Raleigh, NC. Brian the owner most likely knows that I’ll be spending seven-fold before the year is up! 😀😳😔

RC Airplane- Day 3:

Yes, electric airplanes will catch on fire, given the proper conditions…😳

IMG_1047.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

• Sad 2

IMG_1021.jpeg

• Sad 1

If you get into electrics more you need to understand the relationship between the motor, the prop used, the speed controller, the battery and how amps and watts work. Since this is entry level it's all configured for you. As you know heat is the enemy. Those parts are dirt cheap, because the quality isn't there. That motor's windings are probably really cheap and the tiny banana clip to bullet plugs look suspect. Curious why the motor overheated on a trainer setup.

Good luck with the new hobby! I always wanted to get into RC planes, but never had the chance. Did spend a lot of my youth with 1/8 scale nitro rally cars and buggies. I don’t think I ever broke in those engines correctly, so I’d spend a lot of time trying to get them to work properly (adjusting the fuel mix endlessly). I just didn’t have the right patience when I was younger! Think about getting an electric truck to play around with, but I live on a city where there aren’t nearby places to toy around with something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/28/2024 at 1:19 AM, amberleaf said:

I once asked a flight instructor of mine how he got into aviation. He told me he was once heavily into RC aircraft, and had spent tens of thousands on it until eventually realising that he could be flying real aircraft for less money.

Absolutely the case for many. Myself included. Started on balsa models powered by rubber bands as a kid...then foam RC. Now I own a hangar with a plane in it. 😂

• Like 1

My buddy was super into these some years back. The planes were more duct tape than styrofoam after a few "landings".

@Chas.Alpha seriously look for an RC club near you. There are plenty of experienced pilots that can teach you how to fly safely, without the fly-crash-fly cycle associated with teaching yourself. The AMA website has a registry of clubs.

I learned to fly models at age 8 when my dad taught me. It sparked an interest that eventually landed me in glider competitions. I won the national championships twice and went to the worlds as a pilot on the US team. I have been a professional RC/UAV pilot since 1995, flying everything with wings or rotors as well as control line, cars, boats, drones, you name it. I am an aerospace engineer and that is in no small part because of model aviation.

• Like 4