La Gloria Cubana Podium Arrives in France

Cigar Aficionado's article on this release...

France’s Regional La Gloria Takes The Podium

Jul 26, 2024 - By Gregory Mottola

France’s Regional La Gloria Takes The Podium

If you’re in Paris for the summer Olympics, you might want to step away from the stadium and slip into the nearest cigar store. The La Gloria Cubana Podium is now available and it’s France’s Regional Edition smoke for 2024.

At 6 1/8 inches long by 50 ring gauge, Podium is the same size as the Trinidad Robusto Extra (only without the pigtail) and referred to as Dobles in Cuban cigar factories.

La Gloria Cubana Podium

Like all Regional Edition cigars, there’s a second band beneath the primary band indicating its exclusive territory. But unlike many Regionals, the Podium is fitted with a foot band. Also of note is the ribbon holding together the cigars. Typically, that ribbon is yellow. For this release, it’s rendered in the colors of France’s flag. 

The Podiums represent the first time that a French Regional Edition has been offered in the La Gloria Cubana brand. They retail for 40 euros per cigar (about $US43.45) and are packaged in 10-count boxes. Only 4,000 boxes will be produced. 

La Gloria Cubana Podium

All Cuban cigars in France are distributed by Coprova, the country’s official Habanos importer and distributor. 

Source: https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/france-s-regional-la-gloria-takes-the-podium

• Like 3

We are on holiday in France at the moment, popped into a cigar shop in Reims yesterday and he’d received two boxes earlier that day which he’d immediately sold. 

Throughout the years I've managed to figure out how Coprova works, kind of, at least around Paris. Shops who sell one million euros worth of CCs a year get to go on their A-list and they will get the best boxes before everybody else. Understandable.

Each shop is in contact with a Coprova salesman and will receive what they're offered each week and for the last 3 or 4 years, shops will take everything they can as supplies are low.

But, some shops have a better connection with their own salesman. For example, I've called Le Fontenoy in Le Raincy (Paris suburbs, 16th or 17th biggest CCs retailer in France) and they had one box, of course sold before even hitting the shelf. I've called Le Lotus (Paris, better ranked than the previous shop I mentioned), they had 5 boxes, all sold immediately and then I called A La Civette, the #1 CC retailer in France (and it happens to be the oldest tobacco shop in the World too, since 1716😉) and they had none.

When I told the lovely lady I had on the phone that Le Fontenoy and Le Lotus had some boxes, she was really mad as she had been told by the Coprova there wouldn't be any boxes of this LGC Podium until September. I might have unwillingly started a feud 🤣😂.

It has already been the case with the Qd'O Clémenceau and the ERDM L'Epoque, if you're not one of the big buyers (which I'm not anymore) of one of the best supplied shops, you won't get any of those ER or EL's early releases. In a few months there will be a chance in any shop that sells CCs, when they won't be as sought after as they are right now.

C'est la vie !

• Like 4

I doubt I’ll ever get hold of one, but these look great to me. Substantial without being ridiculous! The big question of course is: do they have the ‘true’ LGC character?

Probably a rehash of the Alemarado. Same thing they do with the Dip Robustos. I've had a few and they're pretty good. Better than the Turquinos and not as good as the Glorias. 

Amazing how HSA can actually get their act together for a special event. JL Hat-Trick and now these. 

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Probably a rehash of the Alemarado. Same thing they do with the Dip Robustos. I've had a few and they're pretty good. Better than the Turquinos and not as good as the Glorias. 

Amazing how HSA can actually get their act together for a special event. JL Hat-Trick and now these. 

It's surprising they were able to get them to market even with 7 yrs notice. Are they possibly getting their s*#t together? 

19 hours ago, Li Bai said:

Throughout the years I've managed to figure out how Coprova works, kind of, at least around Paris. Shops who sell one million euros worth of CCs a year get to go on their A-list and they will get the best boxes before everybody else. Understandable.

Each shop is in contact with a Coprova salesman and will receive what they're offered each week and for the last 3 or 4 years, shops will take everything they can as supplies are low.

But, some shops have a better connection with their own salesman. For example, I've called Le Fontenoy in Le Raincy (Paris suburbs, 16th or 17th biggest CCs retailer in France) and they had one box, of course sold before even hitting the shelf. I've called Le Lotus (Paris, better ranked than the previous shop I mentioned), they had 5 boxes, all sold immediately and then I called A La Civette, the #1 CC retailer in France (and it happens to be the oldest tobacco shop in the World too, since 1716😉) and they had none.

When I told the lovely lady I had on the phone that Le Fontenoy and Le Lotus had some boxes, she was really mad as she had been told by the Coprova there wouldn't be any boxes of this LGC Podium until September. I might have unwillingly started a feud 🤣😂.

It has already been the case with the Qd'O Clémenceau and the ERDM L'Epoque, if you're not one of the big buyers (which I'm not anymore) of one of the best supplied shops, you won't get any of those ER or EL's early releases. In a few months there will be a chance in any shop that sells CCs, when they won't be as sought after as they are right now.

C'est la vie !

C'est triste et c'est vrai. They of course are going to play favorites. It's Cuba after all. I'm not sure how they don't think the other vendors will find out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BoliDan said:

C'est triste et c'est vrai. They of course are going to play favorites. It's Cuba after all. I'm not sure how they don't think the other vendors will find out.

From a business point of view it makes sense and before the supplies dried out, a regular customer like me couldn't feel it, 4 or 5 years ago I could find almost anything at the nearest shop. I could have stocked up on Sir Winstons, Cohiba Talismans, Punch DCs and even Behikes (but they weren't even on my radar at the time 😅).

Right now, in most shops you'll only find Cohibas, Trinidads, Linea de Oro, Cupidos and 2 or 3 different CCs, mostly RyJ tubos. The boxes I would be looking for are almost out of reach. There have been a few boxes of SW and Monte Especial but they never hit the shelves.

I try not to get too upset about it as i already have a decent stock. And btw, if I were a retailer who's lost a lot of money due to HSA's appalling supplies, who would I favour, the customer who spends a few hundreds every now and then or the one who spends thousands or tens of thousands a year? The answer is obvious, they don't have a choice somehow. 🥲

• Like 1

It seems nice. I think they will be extremely hard to find. I smoked the Hat-trick, it was so good but the Juan Lopez World Cup release that was in Qatar Airport for sale more than 3 months, I don't think that the La Gloria Cubana will be the same. It will be kept to be sold in auctions.