The Partagas Alphabet Series Chronicles

I've been thinking about doing this for a while and no time is as great as the present. This is a series about the Partagas alphabet series that’s as much about the context in which I’m enjoying this beloved marca, as it is about the individual CC itself. Here, I'll be posting about the context in which I’m enjoying CCs from this line. This first post is one I wrote last month but just getting around to posting:  my Father’s Day smoke, which was this past 6/16/24. The stick being discussed is the PSD4, a personal favorite and one which I’ve spoken about before. The difference in this review is that the stick being discussed is one is from the first box of CCs I ever purchased. Factory OEG ABR ‘23. It’s been in my humidor since March 19, so four days shy of the 90-day mark, which has improved it considerably. The PSD4 is my little luxury. This marca was my gateway into the CC world; it holds a special place in my heart. As mentioned elsewhere, I’ve been experimenting with the crown cut for the last few stogies I smoked; I applied it here as well, as pictured. I dry boxed this one for two days prior. I paired it with hot coffee, taken with heavy whipping cream. 

Cold draw 

Excellent cold draw. One of the best I’ve had in a while. 

1/3

Right off the bat, the 1/3 is superb. Upon lighting and the first few puffs, I know this is indeed going to be an enjoyable experience. I’m pleased by how well it took to flame. A little aromatic thing is going on here. I begin to taste some toast. It’s so peaceful. I’m up and outdoors around 6:30a; there’s no hustle and bustle yet. Things are quiet. The smells and sounds of nature are giving me their best right now. I keep thinking about how this coffee and cigar are an excellent pair. I’m picking up notes of sweetness in the 1/3; might be the cigar notes playing off the coffee cream. The smoke production is easy, plentiful, pleasing to the scent. As I continue with my coffee, I’m really struck by how much I’m enjoying the scent of the smoke. There are some notes coming off it that would make for a good men’s cologne. 

2/3

Heading into the 2/3, all mellow sweetness and cream. What’s making this so enjoyable is the temperate conditions of the morning weather: slight breeze, slightly overcast with sun poking through here and there. I love this moment of peace and quiet as I reflect on Father’s Day: I’m looking at my sons’ toys in the yard and grateful to see them grow and develop; I’m looking at the grill, which I’ll later commandeer this afternoon; I’m thinking about all the dads in my life who I’m pleased to know and have healthy friendships with. I was so into the smoke at this point, that I forgot to write more about the 2/3, but was it was good. Good. Good. 

3/3

The 3/3 is subtle and delicious. Some spice is happening now. Surprised to see it show up here; expected it to occur in the first third. Pleasant nonetheless. Nearing the end of the 3/3, I realized I didn’t have my nubber so I went walking to find it. Because the cigar was so magnetic, it was hard to concentrate on looking for the nubber and smoking. I chose the latter until the nub unraveled. I ended up finding the nubber just as we were leaving the house for FD brunch - a FD miracle. 

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7685.JPG

IMG_7686.JPG

IMG_7687.JPG

IMG_7688.JPG

IMG_7689.JPG

IMG_7690.JPG

IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

IMG_7693.JPG

IMG_7694.JPG

IMG_7695.JPG