Congrats to Spain! - Euro 2024 Champions!!

Well done, Spain - deserved win! Hard for anyone to argue that Spain weren't the best team of the final and the overall tournament. Commiserations to England. Back-to-back final defeats is rough on anyone. Great crop of talent, though, so perhaps a new manager will unlock their potential. 

• Like 3

Spain were statistically the best team in Euro 2024 and deserved their victory, in my view.

Now onto the 2026 World Cup in the Unites States (11 host cities), Mexico (3 host cities) and Canada (2 host cities)!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Spain were statistically the best team in Euro 2024 and deserved their victory, in my view.

Now onto the 2026 World Cup in the Unites States (11 host cities), Mexico (3 host cities) and Canada (2 host cities)!

Not only that, John, they played very positive, very attractive football. Pressing and possession was unbelievably good. It was a lot like watching Man City. Kudos to them for that in particular - far from easy to implement and execute so well. Hope to see a lot more teams adapt it. Being highly organised and sitting deep is a great equaliser in football and carries teams a long way sometimes, but it's death to the spectacle. I think only Germany came close to countering it and picking them apart... that QF should probably have been the Final, if the draw had panned out differently. 

Bring on the World Cup! 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 10:17 AM, MoeFOH said:

I think only Germany came close to countering it and picking them apart...

To be fair to the Germans, if the referee had used the VAR during their game, Spain might not have passed this stage of the competition. (I still don't know what was the big deal with the VAR if they won't use it anyway.)

But I think overall Spain was the best team so kudos to them 👍

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 8:56 AM, westg said:

Thank God. 

absolutely Westie. love the place, loved living there, love my English friends, but if England was up against the invaders from other planets at tiddly-winks, i'd be waving my mars flag. just something in the Australian DNA. and living there when they won an Ashes series. the endless crap i copped is imprinted on my brain for all time. 

glad to see some of the gunners doing well at the highest level, but that does not extend to them winning the thing. 

good weekend for spain. toss in Wimbledon. used to watch the tennis religiously but no more. did not see a single point. i did see the english whinging about our imbecile kyrios and his commentating. simple answer. don't hire him. if ever a bloke was desperate for relevance. for all his self promotion and bluster and simple grubbiness, the bloke never even made top ten. spare me, there are dozens of players who we have long forgotten who made top ten. he never won a major. and yet we are still subject having him fouling our screens. politicians and sportsmen. none of them know when it is time to go away. 

23 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

absolutely Westie. love the place, loved living there, love my English friends, but if England was up against the invaders from other planets at tiddly-winks, i'd be waving my mars flag. just something in the Australian DNA. and living there when they won an Ashes series. the endless crap i copped is imprinted on my brain for all time.

Someone's still obviously harbouring a little generational irritation, one of our ancestors probably put the cuffs on a bit tight. 😜

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cnov said:

Someone's still obviously harbouring a little generational irritation, one of our ancestors probably put the cuffs on a bit tight. 😜

i assure you nothing could be further from the truth. 

i wake up every morning and give thanks to those loaf of bread-stealing ancestors of mine that resulted in transportation (and without going into names or details, a distant ancestor who was involved in the discovery of this place) which meant i'd be born an Aussie and not a soap-dodging cloud of misery.

then i give thanks to the divinity of dancing wombats that i was born male. 

and then i am ready to face the day. 

• Haha 2