Hoyo De Monterey Double Corona MAR 15 (Vacuum sealed edition) (FFSJul24)

Just started sealing up some of my boxes. Definitely interested to see how your collection smokes for you. 

19 hours ago, Monterey said:

I emailed Eddie Sahakian about it (as they are one of my favorite people on the aging front) and his response focused on his belief that the cigar won't age under a vacuum

That's interesting that that's his take on it. I wonder if they have tried vacuum sealing some of their boxes before? Or if they're just basing it on principle? 

It makes sense to me that vac sealing would have an effect. Of course it’s not an actual vacuum in there, but will be much less transfer of air & volatile compounds in and out.

On 7/9/2024 at 5:41 AM, Redgoldband said:

Curious if you vacuum-sealed them with a Boveda pack or anything like that. 

You do not include them. I'll go over the most common questions like this in my video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 10:45 PM, gormag38 said:

Just started sealing up some of my boxes. Definitely interested to see how your collection smokes for you. 

That's interesting that that's his take on it. I wonder if they have tried vacuum sealing some of their boxes before? Or if they're just basing it on principle? 

He speaks in generalities, I really think he is going by what others have told him. Just a guess. Honestly, based on how they view aging (a time honored tradition of fine perfect aging via slow and stead methods) that vacuum sealing would be sacrilegious! Like using a blow torch vs a soft flame from a cedar strip for lighting your cigar!

As I mentioned before, I have 10 cigars vacuum sealed stored in my freezer. Really pushing the envelope on aging. I have no clue what to expect, but going for a 10 year test. Just because.

Someone here, new to vacuum sealing, is part of a 5 year vacuum study. If I remember correctly, he got Eddie to be part of the tasting panel. I disagree with the 5 year part (lost opportunity to do a 10 year+ test). The guy ridiculed me on vacuum sealing, then decided I may not be crazy. So he did a huge write up and carefully documented the process. Lots of cigars and lots of tasters (including Eddie). Should be interesting.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 12:17 AM, RDB said:

It makes sense to me that vac sealing would have an effect. Of course it’s not an actual vacuum in there, but will be much less transfer of air & volatile compounds in and out.

There will be zero transfer of air and volatile compounds. It is indeed a full vacuum. Some of the cheaper bags though will have the issues you mention though.

23 hours ago, Timothy556 said:

When is the video posting?

I have a few boxes ready for sealing at the end of this month, so it will happen just after that. So, 1st week of August.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Timothy556 said:

Video up yet?

Not yet. Except for my wrap up chat, all the video has been shot and is ready. I'm writing the script tonight about what I want to cover and will shoot that video tomorrow. After that, all that is left is to learn how to merge videos and do some editing. This coming weekend is my goal.

I ended up doing another test (it was mentioned here in another thread) and due to a failure of one of my tests, I decided to let another test go for a longer period of time. 

There was a lot that I had t get right to make sure I was communicating everything correctly. Turned out to be a much bigger project then I thought.  Including having to delete the first bunch of videos I did because my address was visible in the background the entire time.  Rookie mistakes.

• Like 1