Tribute - Kinky Freidman Cigar Line

Kinky Freidman was a Texas musician that absolutely loved cigars. Right around 2008 he ran for the Governor's office and that political run coincided with the release of his cigar line which was put forth by Oliveras. He was a big advocate for making sure Texans still had places to smoke in wake of massive changes in city ordinances creating smoking bans. After some time he switched over from Oliveras to Carerras and came out with two different blends.

I remember buying this signature blend box in Galveston the weekend the cigars were released. Little Jewford was their playing on the piano. It was a memorable occaision. Of the Original blends from Oliveras I am missing "The Big Richard" which was a fantastic cigar, smoked my last one in 2017. Other notables were the "Kinkycristo" which was a play on the Montecristo No. 2 and then "The Willie" which was a Shaggy foot made in Tribute to Willie Nelson. My favorite of the bunch was "The Texas Jewboy" which was named after his band and was a spice forward blend that offered fairly full bodied and robust flavor profile. Was hoping to come across a spare box while roaming across Texas. Even went as far as to ask the Kinkster if he could spare a few extra for a modest sum but sadly he said that even he had smoked the last of them.

Kinky passed away this past week so I thought it would be a great tribute to him by sharing with y'all a photo of the last Kinky cigars in my collection. Cheers Kink! Here's to you!

20240629_225237.jpg

• Like 1

had not realised he'd passed. very sad. RIP. 

interesting that you talk of him as a musician. i always forget that. i think of him as a writer first. loved his books. mostly detective stuff with KInky Freidman as the lead character. weird and wonderful stuff. but yes, a musician. and a politician of sorts. i hope it is not transgressing to say that he represented the republicans, then the independents and finally the democrats. always seemed like a slightly saner version of Hunter Thompson. 

he was a real character and will be missed. 

It's fitting for a Texan to be representative of everyone quite honestly. Unless you're sissy. :lol:

He definitely was Show-Biz to say the least. At least we still have Joe-Bob Briggs.

Not too many of those good ole Texas boys left.