TV Series - what are you currently digging?

4 hours ago, Rhod said:

I don't watch a whole lot of TV but I have to agree with those recommending Fallout.  I watched it twice.  I never played the game but was familiar with it.  I think they did an absolutely amazing job with the show.  And Walton Goggins, as usual, steals the show.

I think it set a new bar for video game to TV/movie implementation. They executed this at such a high level I'm not sure how it can be followed up by others, but I'm excited for the future of video game to TV content.

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The last TV Series I streamed was Community, which was on Netflix for at least 4 years but left this year as NBC got back the rights so they can stream it on their Peacock Streaming Service in the US.

I was not expecting to enjoy the Amazon series Fallout as much as I did.  Based on a video game I've never seen or played it had great production values, good writing, etc. - and it's nice to see Lesl

That's an outstanding show! I've been hooked on the 1st season of true detective. Maybe the best I've ever seen. I still maintain Band of Brothers is the best series of all time, followed by Sopranos

4 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

I think it set a new bar for video game to TV / movie implementation.  They executed this at such a high level I'm not sure how it can be followed up by others, but I'm excited for the future of video game to TV content.

What did you think of "The last of Us" ? I quite enjoyed season 1 myself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Li Bai said:

What did you think of "The last of Us" ? I quite enjoyed season 1 myself.

Oh yeah how could I forget about The Last Of Us. I think the story was so well done I essentially forgot about he video game property it's associated with. Part of it was filmed in my city which was really interesting. Season 2 is going to be insane.

• Like 2

A decade after it first aired I just recently watched: The Leftovers. Just an incredible series, which gets better by the season. Raced through all 3 seasons and and one of the very few shows I can imagine myself re-watching. 

44 minutes ago, Ford2112 said:

I've been hooked on the 1st season of true detective

Season III is very good. Deadwood is about as good as anything HBO has ever done.  May be better.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

1st season of true detective

Probably one of the best series ever... especially dialogue-wise... until they totally shit the bed with the final episode/ending, in my opinion, anyway. 

4 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

I still maintain Band of Brothers

Another cracker. So good. Very hard to watch some of those interview snippets with the real veterans and not get emotional... especially Dick Winters right at the end. Man. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Probably one of the best series ever... especially dialogue-wise... until they totally shit the bed with the final episode/ending, in my opinion, anyway. 

I agree 100%.

• Like 4

On 6/18/2024 at 9:03 PM, Ciscojohansson said:

The new Shogun series. The best TV I have seen for some time. I just hope they do not make a season two.

recently re-read the book. brilliant stuff. keen to see this. 

• Like 3

On 6/18/2024 at 6:07 PM, JohnS said:

community-min.jpg.f59de2cafeaf10d650493c8a2756804a.jpg

The last TV Series I streamed was Community, which was on Netflix for at least 4 years but left this year as NBC got back the rights so they can stream it on their Peacock Streaming Service in the US. Anyway, this was the second time I streamed the show...all 110 episodes and six seasons (each episode is only 22 minutes on average, so it's not hard to watch multiple shows per night).

Community has so many self-references, things mentioned in the show in early seasons are cited in later seasons.; it's so cleverly written that it has a cult following. In fact, there's a slogan in the show about 'six seasons and a movie', as one of characters, 'Abed' had an on-going meta-reference that the characters in the show were really on a TV show (yeah, I know...it's all a bit like the Matrix or Plato's famous 'allegory of the cave'). Well, the show actually went six seasons after NBC famously axed it after five...then Yahoo! gave it an extra season. Now NBC are in the process of making the 'Community Movie' come-to-life next year. It's all a bit surreal!

Suffice to say, Dan Harmon, the show's creator, famously utilised academic Joseph Campbell's 'Hero's Journey' myth theory, which states that most ancient stories share similar narrative developments, into each episode. I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like Community. It's quite simply a piece of magic that captured the times it was made in. Just simply brilliant!

john, this was originally shown on SBS free to air here (think it was SBS). a cracker. weird but fun. 

• Like 3

M*A*S*H aged surprisingly well; great acting, fantastic comedy, a lot of hot women. Haven't watched a single episode in 15 years and I really am enjoying the first and second seasons so far. Always wondered what kind of cigars they had on set.

r1VWBVdnDtuXIXjM64oCTyAOANauEA.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

john, this was originally shown on SBS free to air here (think it was SBS). a cracker. weird but fun. 

Yes, in Australia I remember the original run been shown on the free-to-air channel, SBS.

Peaky Blinders. Just finished the second round. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Anyone done the full Mr Robot? 

It's a big commitment as I feel like its 4 seasons are more like 12 of anything else :D. But really loved it.

I finished this show about a year ago. It’s quite a bender. It does feel like it drags on in some episodes but it really drives home the somberness of it all, especially with the ending. I’m also a cyber guy so the technical side was cool to see, as it’s pretty realistic (comparatively to something like CSI/Criminal Minds etc).

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 10:58 AM, Li Bai said:

I certainly hope so 🤞

Agreed; and Last of Us really followed the game to T. Can't wait for more as well!

On 6/19/2024 at 9:57 AM, Habanoschris said:

For some reason I've went back this week & now almost finished season 1 of True Detective. It's pretty cool. 

Season 1 of True Detective is compelling story telling. That is saying a lot, from my perspective. I am a difficult person to impress and this was riveting.

I haven't watched Season 4 yet, but 2 & 3 both had their own dynamic (for those unfamiliar the cast is completely different in each season) and I appreciated the local connection in one of the seasons.

10 hours ago, BG318 said:

Peaky Blinders. Just finished the second round. 

Sadly I'm far enough removed from the local flavor that I required the subtitles, at times. Fantastic period piece.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NeoGeo said:

Agreed; and Last of Us really followed the game to T. Can't wait for more as well!

Last of Us was awesome. I never played the full game but the cinematography was great.

I also really enjoyed Chernobyl, HBOs mini series.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, raggie said:

I also really enjoyed Chernobyl, HBOs mini series.

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jack said:

Season 1 of True Detective is compelling story telling. That is saying a lot, from my perspective. I am a difficult person to impress and this was riveting.

Totally agreed Jack! To clarify, I had watched Season 1 already when it first aired and decided to watch it again recently because I really enjoyed/ found it uniquely compelling as well 😚💨

Second season of House of the Targaryans. Mayor of Kingstown. Final season of Blue Bloods. Very disappointed that the second half of Shogun went to Hulu streaming. Not shelling our another dime for any pay per views that I don't already have!  :tantrum:

• Like 1