Tequila Recommendations

I am a big fan of Insolito Anejo. It has a touch of sweetness to it with no additives and is usually around $50 USD. San Matias Gran Reserva Extra Anejo is also very good (and probably the cheapest extra anejo you can find also about $40-$50). I fell in love with Tonala Suprema Reserva Anejo but I don't think they make it any more as I haven't been able to find it in almost 2 years. 

• JohnS changed the title to Tequila Recommendations

Costco's Tequila's should not be overlooked. Marvelous prices and same quality as the ultra premium's. They booze added Margarita mix is really great too.

While I am not well versed in the tequila game (and really only know the bigger brands) the only tequila that I've had that made me go 'damn that's good'. Is Clase Azul Reposado. The stuff is damn smooth and honestly gave me an incredibly light/pleasant head buzz after a couple glasses.  I'm working my way through my third bottle now. 

Overall I'm a brown water drinker. With that being said I could see myself exploring the tequila game a little bit. Seems there is certainly a growing market for it. 

I picked up a bottle of G4 blanco for the first time for vacation this week. It has no additives and was a reasonable 48 bucks. I will be keeping it on hand going forward. I highly recommend. No headaches or other issues the next morning after overdoing it the night before!

• Like 1

There are alot of “high end” tequilas that use additives like vanilla and caramel flavoring. Hey, if you like it and it doesn’t bother you enjoy most certainly. To me I can’t stand it. In the not-too-crazy price range I would say Fortaleza or El Tesoro. Fortaleza became harder to find for a period but it seems to be becoming more available. 

If you really want to splurge, Fuentaseca. 

I generally find if you like the tequila of a certain house you kind of like them all just for different purposes or your mood. Fortaleza and El Tesoro blanco/rep/anejo are all good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Hoze said:

There are alot of “high end” tequilas that use additives like vanilla and caramel flavoring. Hey, if you like it and it doesn’t bother you enjoy most certainly. To me I can’t stand it. In the not-too-crazy price range I would say Fortaleza or El Tesoro. Fortaleza became harder to find for a period but it seems to be becoming more available. 

If you really want to splurge, Fuentaseca. 

I generally find if you like the tequila of a certain house you kind of like them all just for different purposes or your mood. Fortaleza and El Tesoro blanco/rep/anejo are all good. 

Agree on all of this. These days I mostly drink blanco tequilas, and enjoy El Tesoro, Siete Leguas, Lalo, and Tequila Ocho. I still need to try Fortaleza.

-dobbs

• Like 1

I figured this would eventually get moved to this sub-forum, so I hope the dialog continues….

A few thoughts - love the G4 rec, and I’m happy you brought up additives, @El Hoze!  That is (partially) the reason of Clase Azul’s success, aside from the beautiful bottle and the bell ringing if you hit it right - all that fall into the category of gimmicks, if you ask me. The rule - instituted by a surprisingly rigid regulatory agency that oversees tequila production, the TRC - is that you can still call yourself “100% blue agave” if you keep your additives to under 1%. The intent was to allow the puros to account for color consistency and the like. Unfortunately, additives have become so potent that flavors like vanilla, caramel, butterscotch, etc., can be infused to hide the poorer quality of the agave but remain under the threshold. There is certainly a place for it, and I don’t disparage it (too much), but it takes away from the purity of the spirit. 

I intentionally left añejos off of my list for a similar reason - to amplify the consideration of the more “pure” houses to discern the intricate differences between their various agaves without the influences of artificial flavoring or that of the barrels they are aged in (bourbon, Cabernet, Bordeaux…). 

@dobbs - all of your recs are great choices, and you won’t be disappointed with Fortaleza. The problem is, like @El Hoze said, it’s been hard to come by, at least still here in LA. Whenever I come across it, I grab a bottle. 

I’ll have to look up Pasote - haven’t heard of it, and always looking to try something new. 

Anyone ever dipped into La Gritona?  Aside from the entertaining name, it is a brand founded by and managed by primarily women, which gives it a good story. Unfortunately, I poured some this evening after not having it for a while and it had a sort of medicinal taste. I wonder if, like these fine cigars we all love, I grabbed a bunk bottle???

Lift ‘em up and share the wealth!  Let’s get a movement, not necessarily away from the browns, but more into this fine, arguably underrated, spirit…

• Like 1

I enjoy Tequila but I confess it’s primarily the anejo range I like. Have had some of the blanco and reposado and it’s just a tad too vegetal for me. But in the anejo realm my faves to date are:

Codigo Extra Anejo

Casa Noble Anejo

Siete Leguas Anejo

My “budget” go to is Herradurra Anejo. How pure it is I don’t know but it’s got a good price point and I can find it anywhere. 

• Like 2

Hope to begin my research with these two:

IMG_9531.jpeg.c8d03adc074e66fbe3d8015953adc157.jpeg

• Like 2

A drunkard friend recommended El Padrino Anejo. Has anyone got an opinion?

5 hours ago, Drguano said:

Hope to begin my research with these two:

GREAT choices!!!  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

On 6/7/2024 at 8:11 AM, dobbs said:

Agree on all of this. These days I mostly drink blanco tequilas, and enjoy El Tesoro, Siete Leguas, Lalo, and Tequila Ocho. I still need to try Fortaleza.

-dobbs

Fortaleza is definitely worth chasing. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2024 at 9:02 PM, Ken Gargett said:

Fortaleza is definitely worth chasing. 

You weren't wrong, I got a bottle of the still-strength blanco and it just may be my favorite tequila right now.

-dobbs

1 hour ago, dobbs said:

You weren't wrong, I got a bottle of the still-strength blanco and it just may be my favorite tequila right now.

-dobbs

glad you found it. it is good stuff. 

• Like 1

The haul from Italy (thanks MrJapan) and the UK…

IMG_9688.jpeg.e3adf9d20139cfb918544ab0cf094a1a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2024 at 5:32 AM, Drguano said:

The haul from Italy (thanks MrJapan) and the UK…

So let me get this straight…Fortaleza blanco and Añejo (surprised no reposado) was found in either Italy/UK, but is scarce in Los Angeles?? Got it. 

Great pickups!!!!

I just cracked open the Fortaleza Anejo. Very tasty. Berry Bros in London had the Blanco (very smooth) and Harrods had the Anejo so I bought two bottles.

IMG_9650.jpeg.a778c61d1eeb40c395d076222bc756e1.jpeg

IMG_9728.jpeg.ee1275cd9e834efb35b80d3cc87777d7.jpeg

• Like 1

There is a shop called Hedonism near Sautter’s that had the Reposado but I was already carrying five bottles (plus I picked up a bottle of Col. E.H. Taylor at Duty Free) and did not want to press my luck!