The price of love - The Por Larrañaga Fénix 109

3 hours ago, Lt4-396 said:

Is this stupidity from a sheer lack of demand for the Cohiba or simply a money grab from the shop?

I'd say a bit of both but I could be wrong...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2024 at 4:18 AM, ha_banos said:

I have difficulty feeling too much sympathy here.

Yep. This is like someone confessing:

"I'm a........I'm a.........(Big gulp)....I'm a sex addict"

I remember when Robbie Williams came out as a sex addict. I thought it impossible I could detest every fibre of his being more. But that's the thing about Robbie Williams, he will always surprise you with just....one....more...reason.

• Haha 3

• JohnS changed the title to The price of love - The Por Larrañaga Fénix 109

This is completely due to the sheer oversupply of the Siglo De Oro - This was one if not the biggest failure of Habanos in recent memory if not of all time. Distributors and retailers across the board are stuck with these boxes which are not moving at all even at steep discounts/cost. 

Some retailers have them listed for $6000+ USD per box while others who just want to move the stock are in the $2,900 Range. 

The duty free is probably doing this as they have hundreds of boxes of Siglo De Oro not moving and everyone wants the Fenix so why not clear the Siglo De Oro with the Fenix. Simple business. 

1 hour ago, cigarsdelcuba said:

This is completely due to the sheer oversupply of the Siglo De Oro - This was one if not the biggest failure of Habanos in recent memory if not of all time. Distributors and retailers across the board are stuck with these boxes which are not moving at all even at steep discounts/cost. 

Some retailers have them listed for $6000+ USD per box while others who just want to move the stock are in the $2,900 Range. 

The duty free is probably doing this as they have hundreds of boxes of Siglo De Oro not moving and everyone wants the Fenix so why not clear the Siglo De Oro with the Fenix. Simple business. 

Bad business practice after all, this is similar to to the UK Porsche dealerships shenanigans, buy multiple Porsche cars and maybe you'll get the Gt3 Rs. Although still better than increasing the price on cigars that were produced before the price hike, my LCDH has a box of Reyes sitting for almost a year ($64 a stick) next to Partagas Lusitania ($53 a stick). Crazy!

They missed the mark with the New Partagas (Línea Maestra) and Romeo (Línea de Oro) lines as well. By alienating the common customer base they will hurt themselves in the long run. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

They missed the mark with the New Partagas (Línea Maestra) and Romeo (Línea de Oro) lines as well. By alienating the common customer base they will hurt themselves in the long run. 

Yeah, I've seen boxes of the Romeos sitting on the shelves at half price and collecting dust. 

• Like 1

Exactly and the Partagas are priced much higher per stick. It's insane. And look, I actually liked the new Romeos even though they could be any marque if you were blindfolded. So what exactly are they selling here?

8 hours ago, cigarsdelcuba said:

This is completely due to the sheer oversupply of the Siglo De Oro

Bingo. 

Too small, too many, too $ high. 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2024 at 1:25 PM, El Presidente said:

Bingo. 

Too small, too many, too $ high. 

They are small, but they are excellent cigars, and they don’t smoke fast. I was skeptical, but the cigar really surprised me. Still not worth the price they are selling for though. 

• 1 month later...

This is dumb, I don’t play stupid games for the “privilege” of getting what I want. The conversation would have stopped and I’d have walked away at the point where I was told “you have to buy this first”. It’s not my problem that you can’t sell the overpriced inventory. Greasy business tactics if you ask me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chitmo said:
This is dumb, I don’t play stupid games for the “privilege” of getting what I want. The conversation would have stopped and I’d have walked away at the point where I was told “you have to buy this first”. It’s not my problem that you can’t sell the overpriced inventory. Greasy business tactics if you ask me. 

Couldn’t agree more, the Cohiba is a nice set but that bloody price no way. But I do feel a lot of new releases are more geared towards the collector rather than the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tollickd said:

Couldn’t agree more, the Cohiba is a nice set but that bloody price no way. But I do feel a lot of new releases are more geared towards the collector rather than the smoker.

Yes and no, I’d say there’s plenty of “Easy money” folks around that would buy them just for bragging rights. I’d take multiple regular production boxes over a single box of anything Cohiba/regional/EL any day. I’m not speculating on what they’re gonna be worth in a year, I’m smoking everything I buy. 

• Like 2