JohnS' Smoking Diary 2024

Thanks for the reviews! It sound like you are enjoying some aged boxes recently, I liked hearing about them. In particular, the ERdM and HU2 and PLPC. Monte no1 is my favourite Monte. Reading your reviews is relatable, fun, informative, please keep it up!

• Thanks 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trinidad Coloniales APU Jul 2015 The Trinidad Coloniales was released in 2004 in a unique 'Coloniales' size. It has a 44 ring gauge and it is 132 millimetres or 5¼ inches in length. It comes in a

Romeo y Julieta Perfectos (Circa 1980s/90s) There was once a time where Habanos machine-made cigars were commonplace, often manufactured side-by-side with their respective handmade vitola. Accord

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan OLM Oct 2014 Welcome to the 2024 edition of this Smoking Blog Series. Whereas last year's edition opened with a New World cigar (an Arturo Fuente Hemingway W

7 hours ago, karp said:

Thanks for the reviews! It sound like you are enjoying some aged boxes recently, I liked hearing about them. In particular, the ERdM and HU2 and PLPC. Monte no1 is my favourite Monte. Reading your reviews is relatable, fun, informative, please keep it up!

Thank you kindly, @karp!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 5:46 AM, JohnS said:

H.Upmann No.2 LUB Oct 2014

Legendary box code indeed. I know I was one of the few 'dinner guests' that would've chosen this cigar at your dinner. 😉

With all the love LUB14 code/year gets on this forum it's hard for me to envision a better smoking HU2 than the late 21/early 22 boxes. Then again I'm sure I'm biased due to my age.

By chance have you had a chance to smoke a more recent year of this stick? Just curious of your thoughts and how you think it'll stack up over time. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2024 at 10:30 PM, gormag38 said:

By chance have you had a chance to smoke a more recent year of this stick? Just curious of your thoughts and how you think it'll stack up over time. 

@gormag38, I edited this reply tonight because I misread your reply this morning while I was in a rush to head off to work. (Hey...it happens!)

To answer your question correctly, I've not had a chance to smoke a H.Upmann No.2 in recent times. The last H.Upmann No.2 I had before this LUB Oct 2014 box code was a BRE Sep 2017 stick from a multi-brand release in mid-to-late 2022. Before that I had a few LUB May 2014 H.Upmann No.2s in 2019/20.

I must admit my bias by stating that I prefer H.Upmann as a marca to be aged, in general. However, I've recently acquired some H.Upmann Half Coronas and Connoisseur No.1s that are both aged less that two years to challenge my predisposed preferences. We'll see how that all goes, I guess.

In the meantime, yes, I've had another H.Upmann No.2 from this box code and it was excellent. I will have the review published here within the next week or two.

My personal view is that after smoking two sticks now, at this stage, they will continue to develop. They're still quite flavoursome.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2024 at 1:32 AM, JohnS said:

ETP Mar 2016 Quai d'Orsay Coronas Claro

One of my biggest cigar regrets. I remember being sat at the computer for hours, having 15 boxes in my cart with Ravi at $147 a box with a discount to come on top. Talking to myself. "you are buying at that rate anyway, 3 boxes at a time!!!...why not just cut to the quick, and get 15? You'll be saving on transaction fees...it's never going to get any better than this...DO IT!" I passed. 

What an idiot. I still have 2x ETP 2016 boxes tucked away, but would dearly like another 13. That said, would I cherish them as much? Who knows?

So funny to think right now there will be thousands of cigar enthusiasts all over the world with carts full of various websites, and they are negotiating with themselves, with an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. How I wish I had given in to the darkside. 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...