Best Coffee Pod? Best Coffee Pod Machines?

if its the case of convenience, why not to go with something like this (fully automatic machine with a grinder built in - bean to cup) I purchased this to my wife back in 2020 and she uses it almost everyday and a big fan. Since I'm not a coffee drinker, I'm not sure if the quality is comparable to those pods machines. 

image.png.3886a8b63b078c430e7c173f175e8da6.png

I do the Mocha pot on weekends. During the weekdays, it's original Nespresso pods for me. I like the stronger styles; 10+. When it's available, the Cuban one is great. I've been a big fan ever since my first machine died 3 weeks after the warranty expired. They literally shipped me a loaner, I shipped back my unit for repair. It came back, loaner was returned. Cost to me?  $0.00. I am experimenting with other pods. Lavazza ones are decent. Illy are good but hard to find here for a good price. Kimbo isn't bad for a cheap alternative. I would absolutely love a proper machine with grinder, foamer, etc. But I'm too lazy and cheap. I put the savings into wine and cigars instead.  :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

You guys convinced me to go with a Jura 

Thank you for all your input :ok:

The Jura E8 is a good machine. Two years back I convinced my bro to get the S8 (next model up from the E8) instead of the Delonghi PrimaDonna Soul he was looking at, and he's been very happy with the machine.

Honestly, you don't need to do a professional grinder clean every year. Getting to the grinder and infuser requires the Jura to be dismantled.

Just run the cleaning cycle and pop a cleaning tab into the bypass chute every month or so (depending on your usage). If you use the milk frother, clean it every time after use by filling a jug with water, and let the milk hose pull up the water for a milk cycle. The milk frother can also be taken off the machine and disassembled for cleaning. Once a month, run a milk fat cleaning solution through the frother, to breakdown any milk solid build up. When you descale, run an extra rinse cycle with just plain water, to make sure you get all the descale solution out.

Wow I just looked up the cost of that bad boy.  Does it come with the tatooed girl the makes the pretty froth design too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It might cut my budget allocated for cigars, I will stick to Nespresso. 😀. It looks amazing though. Maybe Rob can bundle it with cigars in the daily sale. 😀😀. It is required and complementary for cigars.  

2 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Wow I just looked up the cost of that bad boy.  Does it come with the tatooed girl the makes the pretty froth design too?

.......yes ......yes it does

• Haha 1

Same model I got, you’re going to love it. I don’t do many milk drinks for myself but I do for company. The accessory milk cooler on the right of the E8 is great. Just fill it before the company comes over and just press the button to make what they want. 

IMG_2508.jpeg

Also agree just keep up with the cleaning tablets and filter changes as required. The last Jura I had, that I said had around 25k coffees made I did service a few times over the years. I’ve learned the key to keeping everything working well is not to use overly oily beans. Do the maintenance and if service is required at some point you can take it in then. 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 10:49 AM, SMELTZ said:

Definitely thinking about getting one of these Jura's.  Looking forward to seeing a review.

The Jura is a great machine. Makes coffee fast with little fuss. The grinder is awesome for a super automatic, and the frother is way better than the Delonghi rival. Though, with a fixed infuser, you can't get to it to give a thorough clean, like you can with the Delonghi PrimaDonna. It was the one feature I really liked about the Delonghi; you had a side door to access the inside of the machine to remove the infuser for deep cleaning and vacuum out loose grounds.

If you don't want to be constantly emptying out the drip tray, I recommend keep a spare old cup beneath the nozzles. When the machine turns on/off and after making every cup, it goes through a rinse cycle. Keeping the cup there is just a little easier than taking out the drip tray.

If you want something with a bit more oomph, and don't mind a little extra work, have a think about the Breville Oracle or Dual Boiler. I did a blind test with my brother's Jura S8 vs my Breville Oracle Touch (same beans, making an espresso and a cappuccino), and the majority of people preferred the coffee from the Breville (the Jura was better than my old Delonghi PrimaDonna).

On 2/16/2024 at 12:19 PM, LLC said:

Also agree just keep up with the cleaning tablets and filter changes as required. The last Jura I had, that I said had around 25k coffees made I did service a few times over the years. I’ve learned the key to keeping everything working well is not to use overly oily beans. Do the maintenance and if service is required at some point you can take it in then. 

I used to buy double roasted beans that were very oily. It was one of the reasons I preferred my Delonghi over the equivalent Jura of the time. You can access the inside of the machine via a side panel behind the water tank on the Delonghi, to remove the infuser and vacuum out the inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2024 at 9:38 PM, El Presidente said:

You guys convinced me to go with a Jura

Ohhh the E8, such a great machine! I personally went with a Miele CM6360 only for cabinet height as I was seriously considering the Jura, but needed something that would fit on the counter, under our cabinets. If you drink as much coffee as I do, the machine will pay for itself in no time at all. I’m 3 years and nearly 15,000 drinks in and the Miele is working just as good as the day I purchased it. Just don’t expect the machine to produce the rat tails espresso shots or as good of a shot as you could pull from a manual machine. If you keep those things in mind and want a decent cup of coffee at the push of a button the Jura, Miele, or even Gaggia machines can’t be beat.

Side Note: Once the machine pays for itself (mine did in just under 18 months), you can start to enjoy some Blue Mountain, Cafe Serrano, or maybe even some fine Peabody Kona at the same price as those ridiculously overpriced pods/cups.

To maintain your machine & get great coffee for years upon years do only 2 things: 1) descale & clean the machine on a regular basis (it’ll tell you when to descale if you set your water hardness properly) and MOST IMPORTANTLY 2) NEVER EVER EVER use OILY beans!!! That is the absolute biggest NO NO when it comes to super autos. If it has an oily sheen, return or gift it away. Trust me, You don’t want the repair bill from using Starbucks beans b/c your wife has no appreciation for what good coffee tastes like…ask me how I know, lol !

• Thanks 1

5 years ago I had the best coffee of my life in an American Airlines lounge in JFK airport. I know, I know, I couldn’t believe it either. It came out of a fancy new machine called “Dr Coffee”

I’ve had a few trips into China over the last 6 months and so many hotels there now have these Dr Coffee machines too which, hands down, make the best double espressos I’ve ever had. Next level fancy coffee machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1