FOH Top 10 2023 : No 10 to No 1

Ok, I’ll play. This will most certainly not be reflecting your list, Rob (I’ll bet you will have Mag 54 on it...😉), and in terms of consistency I haven’t had enough of all those (‘22/‘23) to be decisive, but I’ve been particularly impressed / even positively surprised on occasion by*:

1. HdM Epi2

2. HdM Petit Robustos

3. Partagás D4

4. Partagás E2 (A/T)

5. Monte 4

6. Juan Lopez Selección No. 2

7. Monte Tubos

8. Rafael Gonzales Perlas

9. RyJ Petit Royales

10. Partagás MF (the best came from a 5x5)

Honorable mention goes to Monte Especiales No. 2, but these are still too young for a fair assessment, they could have made it to the list perhaps.

Current HdM DC, RA Gigantes (the few that were there), as well as the LCDHs Glorias and JL Sel. Especial appear very well made. Same holding for the RyJ Tubo series, which was the biggest surprise for me this year.

One negative: Disliked most current production Party Shorts from Cab that I had, even the occasional “stinkers” there (dress boxes consistently better, but could/will be a coincidence)

(*lot of Robustos on my list despite not being a particular Robo-smoker. Not so much an absolute “Best”-list perhaps, but rather a mix of “very good” and particular cigars where I found the “biggest improvement” in recent years, on a relative scale.)

• Like 2

• El Presidente changed the title to FOH Top 10 2023 : No 10 to No 7
  • El Presidente changed the title to FOH Top 10 2023 : No 10 to No 5

No 10:     Bolivar Belicoso Finos 

I have enjoyed every 2022/23 Bolivar Belicoso Finos that I have smoked this year. I don't believe that they match that 2019-2020 golden streak but they aren't far off. Love the leather, Guinness nature of this cigar. It is simply meaty and purely satisfying. 

No 9:     Romeo y Julieta Wide Churchill

This has been my surprise packet of the year. They have been bursting with sweet berry flavours in 2023 which makes it the best year since they were released in 2011. i am no fan of the Montesco format but God damn, they have been wickedly good this year! The best R&J in 2023 by a country mile. 

No 8:     Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2 

Such a consistent performer in 2023. They are not far off the best runs of the past 5 years. The richness  is all there. The  jaffa, combo of  citrus and chocolate and coffee. 3-5 years down sees them reach their sweet spot for me. 

No 7:     Cohiba Robusto

They have been in form and so they should be. Top end Cohiba still move well, however around 25% of the portfolio has hit the wall when it comes to market demand. Cohiba Robusto has dodged that bullet. Great year for CORO. 

No 6:     Montecristo Number 2 

Lovers of Monte 2 have had a dream run throughout 2023. While widely unavailable in many parts of the cigar world this year, we have been lucky on FOH with good consistent supplies. Ask anyone who smokes Monte 2 and they will tell you how 2022/23 Monte 2 are some of the finest in memory. I don't disagree. 

No 5:     H. Upmann Magnum 54 

Two words. "Flavour bomb". Brilliant blend that has remained consistent since release. Rich, suave, satisfying, Upmann to its core. 

No 4:     Quai D'Orsay 50 

The Quai D'Orsay 50 is another surprise packed for 2023. It has been consistently available to FOH and while always a good cigar, 2022 and 2023 examples have lifted another level showcasing QD DNA in spades. Love the spongecake / bakery spine with the Mezzo kick. 

No 3:     Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 1  

How bloody tasty have the JLS1 been this year? Citrus, sourdough, choc coffee all come together in a masterclass of blending. I know they age exceptionally well but these 22/23 boxes are smoking 90-93 points almost everytime right now. Good luck aging them!

• Like 4

• El Presidente changed the title to FOH Top 10 2023 : No 10 to No 3

Great list. Good to see the M2 getting some love. But as @TacoSauce knows, you can’t have one without a pint of Guinness (even after breakfast) - so the No 6 place should technically be the pair. 

Re the last two spots. I like the look of D4 at No 2 and Epi2 at No 1. Big year for robustos 🤞

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gamehawker said:

I am amazed the M2 is on the list and not the H Upmann #2 or the Partagas Serie P2.  :huh:

Simply an element of supply which is one of the conditions. 

• general availability throughout 2023. They must have been available for at least 6 months. 
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GoodStix said:

@El Presidente where did the Connie 2 sit for you this year?  It was generally available, and I gather was a good regular for you last year.

I felt a little bit of inconsistency has popped in. A touch too much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• El Presidente changed the title to FOH Top 10 2023 : No 10 to No 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 11:03 AM, El Presidente said:

No 10:     Bolivar Belicoso Finos 

I have enjoyed every 2022/23 Bolivar Belicoso Finos that I have smoked this year. I don't believe that they match that 2019-2020 golden streak but they aren't far off. Love the leather, Guinness nature of this cigar. It is simply meaty and purely satisfying. 

No 9:     Romeo y Julieta Wide Churchill

This has been my surprise packet of the year. They have been bursting with sweet berry flavours in 2023 which makes it the best year since they were released in 2011. i am no fan of the Montesco format but God damn, they have been wickedly good this year! The best R&J in 2023 by a country mile. 

No 8:     Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2 

Such a consistent performer in 2023. They are not far off the best runs of the past 5 years. The richness  is all there. The  jaffa, combo of  citrus and chocolate and coffee. 3-5 years down sees them reach their sweet spot for me. 

No 7:     Cohiba Robusto

They have been in form and so they should be. Top end Cohiba still move well, however around 25% of the portfolio has hit the wall when it comes to market demand. Cohiba Robusto has dodged that bullet. Great year for CORO. 

No 6:     Montecristo Number 2 

Lovers of Monte 2 have had a dream run throughout 2023. While widely unavailable in many parts of the cigar world this year, we have been lucky on FOH with good consistent supplies. Ask anyone who smokes Monte 2 and they will tell you how 2022/23 Monte 2 are some of the finest in memory. I don't disagree. 

No 5:     H. Upmann Magnum 54 

Two words. "Flavour bomb". Brilliant blend that has remained consistent since release. Rich, suave, satisfying, Upmann to its core. 

No 4:     Quai D'Orsay 50 

The Quai D'Orsay 50 is another surprise packed for 2023. It has been consistently available to FOH and while always a good cigar, 2022 and 2023 examples have lifted another level showcasing QD DNA in spades. Love the spongecake / bakery spine with the Mezzo kick. 

No 3:     Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 1  

How bloody tasty have the JLS1 been this year? Citrus, sourdough, choc coffee all come together in a masterclass of blending. I know they age exceptionally well but these 22/23 boxes are smoking 90-93 points almost everytime right now. Good luck aging them!

No 2:     Partagas Serie D Number 4

Cuba's premium cigar workhorse of 2024. I believe we have had them available each week of the year. That is why it is remarkable how good they have been. I have smoked plenty of D4 in 2023 and I can't recall one letting me down. Overall they have been 90/92 point average cigars every time with more than a few peaking a few points higher. Given the volume pumped out in 2023, superb effort. 

No 1:     Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Number 2 

No 2022/2023 production cigar has hit 94/95 heights more often than the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Number 2.  They were scarce in the first quarter of 2023, but production has been consistent since that time.  Since April I have had to force myself to smoke other Robustos and the Epi 2 was simply on another level with it's cream, sugar cane and strong milk coffee spine. The best Epicure Number 2 that I have smoked since the mid 90's. 

What would 11-20 be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglebear29 said:

What would 11-20 be?

Keeping in mind the criteria. Some of these just missed the criteria mark. 

Partagas P2 

Punch Punch 

H. Upmann Connie 2 

Montecristo Double Edmundo

HDM Petit Robusto 

H. Upmann Magnum 46 

Partagas Serie D 5 

R&J Mille Fleur 

Montecristo Number 4 

Romeo y Julieta Petit Royales

Por Larranaga Petit Corona 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Keeping in mind the criteria. Some of these just missed the criteria mark. 

Partagas P2 

Punch Punch 

H. Upmann Connie 2 

Montecristo Double Edmundo

HDM Petit Robusto 

H. Upmann Magnum 46 

Partagas Serie D 5 

R&J Mille Fleur 

Montecristo Number 4 

Romeo y Julieta Petit Royales

Por Larranaga Petit Corona 

Thank you, much appreciated.