I am a sucker for Rose Champagne. Recommendations?

13 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

agree that it is his least wine but the rest are special. he has two from memory but they tend very much to the heavier style as a red with some fizz. but like all his wines now, prices through the roof and incredibly hard to get. i used to have no problem grabbing a couple of cases around $60-70 a bottle (his wines in general), now, i am lucky if i get 2-3 bottles and they are $200-$300 plus (and that is thanks to the generosity of the importer - $350 to $500 if they ever made the retail shelves. 

I still have a number of 13’s & 14’s, nothing newer. Big fan of William Kelley but man did he wreck UC & Bouchard (another former fav)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Billecart-Salmon Brut Rose is the most reputable Non-Vintage Rose champagne currently. Me, no I would rather a Tattinger or Lanson Rose. My favourite would have to be Laurent Perrier Rose. At a r

A topic I feel more confident in answering! <$100 USD, I like the vintage dated Louis Roderer Brut Rose. The 2014 was particularly delightful, although may no longer be the current release.

You are no doubt right Ken.  I am off to castigate Diana on her washing up skills before airdrying a glass and opening the second bottle. 

11 minutes ago, wjs said:

I still have a number of 13’s & 14’s, nothing newer. Big fan of William Kelley but man did he wreck UC & Bouchard (another former fav)

i like Kelley but not sure he has much of an impact downunder.

matt Kramer put me on to them. matt not a fan of sparkling wines in general but sent me a note that he had finally found one he liked.

to be honest, that might even be my fault, indirectly. i introduced a good friend of mine to them, erin larkin (writes for same publication as Kelley). she got to travel around burgundy with him for a while and i think she put him on to them. 

i visited Olivier about 8-10 years ago. one of the best visits of my life. thought it was supposed to be an hour, perhaps a bit more. spent nearly six hours with him. he opened a bottle of everything he'd ever made and we went through all the barrels as well. nicest guy imaginable. what was fascinating at the time was that he had not tasted many of the great champagnes. simply had no access. it was on a weekend as he never took people during the week - too busy as does it all himself. had no email back then. could not understand why someone from Australia wanted to visit. we had an absolutely cracking time. 

since then, i have written him up every chance i have had, including for Q&P - https://quillandpad.com/2021/01/28/ulysse-collin-grower-champagnes-with-serious-complexity/.

now i can't get them. serves me right.

i am not responsible for bouchard. we have always seen large quantities of their wines here. although less so, if you mean cedric. we see a bit of theirs. 

• Like 1

Voici quelques magnifiques références de champagne rosé d'auteurs :

-Moussé et fils : cuvée l'or d'Eugène rosé 

- Hugues godmé : cuvée rosé grand cru 

- Marguet : cuvée Shaman rosé Grand cru

- Dehours : cuvée oeil de perdrix rosé

- Pertois Moriset : cuvée rosé blanc 

- Chartogne Taillet : cuvée le rosé

- Nicolas Maillart : cuvée rosé brut grand cru

A votre santé 🍾🥂

• Like 2

Another I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned is Ruinart’s rose. It’s not as good as their dangerously drinkable BdB. I find it a little overdosed but if you like your rose a touch on the sweeter side it’s worth a look. Probably stellar with a cigar. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBirdman said:

I find it a little overdosed but if you like your rose a touch on the sweeter side it’s worth a look. Probably stellar with a cigar. 

I love the term "overdosed". 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GP012 said:

You can't go wrong with a magnum of Billy Rose.

Other recs:
André Jacquart Rosé Expérience
Larmandier-Bernier Rose de Saignee 

Big fan of André Jacquart Champagnes. That is our go to brand at home!

My off the radar pick would be Deutz, Rosé NV. Served on our honeymoon and it was delicious. 

We had a fantastic grower champagne rosé a month back, but I'm damned if I can find the picture. 😐

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vinnyvega said:

William Kelley singlehandedly keeps The Wine Advocate viable.  He's the only reason I still subscribe. 

i have had a bit to do with joe C over the years and he knows his stuff. monica lerner seems to be highly respected and very good. i know erin well and have huge respect for her, but her value to subscribers probably depends on how interested in aussies and kiwis you are. but agree that Kelley is their star. personally, i think the publication is better now than when galloni was there and left. 

I was talked into a bottle of Collet for a cheapie Rose NV by my wine guy at Wine Experience Rosalie. 

Nice balance, good flavour.Lack of  fine "bubbles" ....I am a heathen. Fuzz will tell me to decant and put it through my sodastream. :lookaround:

Doesn't put a glove on Pol Roger Rose Vintage 2015...but it is half the price. 

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

I was talked into a bottle of Collet for a cheapie Rose NV by my wine guy at Wine Experience Rosalie. 

Nice balance, good flavour.Lack of  fine "bubbles" ....I am a heathen. Fuzz will tell me to decant and put it through my sodastream. :lookaround:

Doesn't put a glove on Pol Roger Rose Vintage 2015...but it is half the price.

collet is a very good producer. not absolute top level but priced accordingly. visited there a while back and was impressed.

i would bet a bottle of krug rose that the reason for the lack of bubbles in such a young champagne was zero to do with the champagne itself and much more the glasses involved. if, for example, there is the tiniest film of dishwashing liquid that has been left, it will kill the bubbles. a few other things can also do it. next time, give the glass a really good rinse in hot water after washing and dry carefully. air drying if possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

collet is a very good producer. not absolute top level but priced accordingly. visited there a while back and was impressed.

i would bet a bottle of krug rose that the reason for the lack of bubbles in such a young champagne was zero to do with the champagne itself and much more the glasses involved. if, for example, there is the tiniest film of dishwashing liquid that has been left, it will kill the bubbles. a few other things can also do it. next time, give the glass a really good rinse in hot water after washing and dry carefully. air drying if possible. 

You are no doubt right Ken. 

I am off to castigate Diana on her washing up skills before airdrying a glass and opening the second bottle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

You are no doubt right Ken. 

I am off to castigate Diana on her washing up skills before airdrying a glass and opening the second bottle. 

and i am about to change my name and move interstate or offshore! 

but let me know how you go. 

ps - do you know how to assist Di with the washing up? and if not, why not? it really didn't take long, did it?

9 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

and i am about to change my name and move interstate or offshore! 

but let me know how you go. 

ps - do you know how to assist Di with the washing up? and if not, why not? it really didn't take long, did it?

It's our deal. I cook (brilliantly!)....and she washes up.....(apparently very poorly) :cigar:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i have had a bit to do with joe C over the years and he knows his stuff. monica lerner seems to be highly respected and very good. i know erin well and have huge respect for her, but her value to subscribers probably depends on how interested in aussies and kiwis you are. but agree that Kelley is their star. personally, i think the publication is better now than when galloni was there and left. 

Sat and tasted with Joe C on Thanksgiving week. I like him a lot, although still getting to know his palate/preferences. Has some great stories to tell, as I'm sure you do too.