TacoSauce NC Diary

TacoSauce

Sanj Patel SP1014 Black Robusto (+): Another Sanj Patel stick. This one has a very tangy cold draw reminiscent of a pungent oriental pipe tobacco. After lighting, the body is medium and the flavor is slightly bitter wood and a burnt note. Normally I experience this type of note as burnt toast, but there really isn't a bready component to this. It is more of a burnt wood flavor. There is no sweetness, but thankfully the bitterness is faint enough that it doesn't overpower in the absence of a sweet note. This profile remains consistent until the last inch where the bitterness intensifies. That is where I ended it. Overall, I had the impression that this stick was burning hot, which could explain the burnt notes overpowering everything else. There was enough flavor and tingliness to motivate me to finish the cigar, but overall I was left with the impression of, "Meh."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Motivated by @HoyoFan's thread on NC alternatives that the CC smoker might find palatable, I decided to order an assortment of the sticks recommended here and elsewhere and see what I like. Looking at

Warped Maestro del Tiempo 5205 (+++): 42 ring gauge but extra long. Supposedly this is called a "lonsdale." My first lonsdale! I like the shape and feel in my hand. This cigar blew me away. It has an

Puro Desnudo N7 Ninfas (++): Loooong and skinny -- the ultra-narrow ring gauge is new for me. I like it. Pre-light aroma and draw both have a straightforward, slightly tangy tobacco note. After lighti

Pardron Damaso No. 8 (+): I bought this on a whim after seeing a Padron line that I hadn't heard of before. A lighter shade stick that appeared to be a perfect cylinder. Aroma and cold draw both have a distinct popcorn and corn tortilla note. After lighting, the body is just under medium and the flavor is that of burnt corn tortillas. In the second third a tiny bit of wood and leather join. No sweetness in this stick. The profile stays the same until the end. This is completely different than any other Padron I've had, and much milder. An interesting profile, but not really my thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

West Tampa Black Robusto (+): A nice looking stick with a dark, dark Maduro wrapper. The aroma and cold draw both give off deep chocolate wine notes. I realize that chocolate wine isn't a real thing, but if it was, it would smell like this. The stick opens at medium-full body and ramps up to full by the end. In the first half, the flavors are campfire and black coffee over a woody core. A touch of sweetness, but no earthy flavor. In the second half, the coffee flavor disappears and the burnt campfire flavor ramps up. The retrohale is way too strong to enjoy. Overall, this stick was decently flavorful, but was too intense for me. I enjoyed the Red version much more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sanj Patel Industry Killer (original) Habano (++): A gigantic stick. I can't find the dimensions listed online, but this seems like a 52 x 6 stick. Pre light aroma and cold draw both give off the impression of freshly polished leather left in a hot car for an afternoon. After lighting, the body is just over medium. The flavor is mostly leather and a light sour and tanginess. The cigar is canoeing and it is difficult to get good smoke output even though the draw seems unobstructed. Once I hit the second third, the burn corrects, the smoke output improves, and the sourness diminishes. I'm also getting a slight sweetness and the occasional note of stewed fruit. Still predominately leather. In the final third, the body has dropped to medium and a smooth mustiness joins. A lot of good flavors from this cigar, but the overall presentation was a bit muddled. Would love to try this in a smaller ring gauge, but that option is not available. There is a related blend, the Industry Killer Deluxe, that I will try next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RoMa Craft Intemperance BA XXI Intrigue (+++): A tiny petite corona sized stick (4" x 46) with a spicy aroma off of the wrapper and cold-draw. I smoked the limited edition "Vanity" version of this blend before (vide infra) and found it to be extremely flavorful, but a little bolder than what I like. After lighting, the cigar opens at slightly under medium-full body and the first flavors are that of char and wood. As it progresses, flavors of walnut, and occasional hints of coffee join. The retrohale is great, but needs to be moderated to avoid singing the nose. The cigar ends at just under full bodied. So much flavor in this little stick. Like its cousin, the body of this stick is a little fuller than what I like, but I am amazed at the amount of great flavor packed into this little stick. If you like fuller-bodied cigars, I think you should definitely give this a try. Even if you are a medium-bodied CC aficionado, I think this is worth trying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Herrera Esteli Norteno Lonsdale (++): A Lonsdale! Feels more like a Churchill in the hand, but technically a Lonsdale I guess. The pre-light aroma has a rich scent of wood and raisin. It reminds me of the pre-light aroma of the old El Rico Habano cigars of yesteryear. I wonder if they still make those? The cold draw has a slight dried fruit sweetness. After lighting the stick opens at medium body with an intense retrohale. This settles to medium bodied after the first 3/4 inch. The flavor is mostly wood and dark tobacco. At the half way point, some vanilla and a peachy sweetness join that remain until the last inch and a half. At that point the sweetness is gone and the stick gets hot. This was an enjoyable smoke and I would definitely have another one of these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:00 PM, TacoSauce said:

RoMa Craft Intemperance BA XXI Intrigue (+++): A tiny petite corona sized stick (4" x 46) with a spicy aroma off of the wrapper and cold-draw. I smoked the limited edition "Vanity" version of this blend before (vide infra) and found it to be extremely flavorful, but a little bolder than what I like. After lighting, the cigar opens at slightly under medium-full body and the first flavors are that of char and wood. As it progresses, flavors of walnut, and occasional hints of coffee join. The retrohale is great, but needs to be moderated to avoid singing the nose. The cigar ends at just under full bodied. So much flavor in this little stick. Like its cousin, the body of this stick is a little fuller than what I like, but I am amazed at the amount of great flavor packed into this little stick. If you like fuller-bodied cigars, I think you should definitely give this a try. Even if you are a medium-bodied CC aficionado, I think this is worth trying.

One of its cousins in same size is the EC Charity. Not as full but packed with flavor as well. Slight sweetness on the retro. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 9:26 PM, KCCubano said:

One of its cousins in same size is the EC Charity. Not as full but packed with flavor as well. Slight sweetness on the retro.

Thanks for the insight. I just so happen to have one of these waiting for review. I am looking forward to it!

Update: Review posted as part of this week's site-wide reviews: 

Sanj Patel Industry Killer Deluxe Cameroon (++): Looks and feels like a lancero, but I can't find the dimensions online. Also, this is a strangely spongy stick, even though it has been stored at 65% for 2.5 months before smoking. Pre-light this has a unique fermented smell. It reminds me of Perique pipe tobacco and also of the Nudies petite corona. After lighting, this stick opens at a mild-medium body and the flavors also remind me of a lighter version of the Nudies petite corona. A light cookie flavor with occasional coffee and wood notes. In the second half, some of the Cameroon character comes through which manifests as a light burnt sugar / cotton candy flavor at the edges. It stayed mild-medium until the end. This was a bit mild for my tastes, but was an excellent experience. So far this is my favorite of the Sanj Patel sticks I've tried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MOFOH Trinity Robusto (++): A light colored robusto with very little pre-light aroma. The cold draw reminds me a bit of cereal in milk. After lighting, the body in mild-medium and there is an immediate sweetness that is very nice. The flavor profile is that of lightly sweetened bran flake cereal with milk. This is my favorite cereal, so I really enjoy this profile. The flavor is bran flake cereal all the way to the end and the body stays at the mild-medium level the whole time. A really nice experience. The only thing keeping this from a '+++' rating was the fact that I was in the mood for something a bit fuller bodied, so I wasn't getting the delivery I was looking for. I will revisit again when I am in the mood for something lighter and see if the rating gets a bump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Puro Desnudo N8 Queen Corona (-): My first tasting from a 5-pack. Pre-light aroma has a light baseball glove leather smell. Not much from the cold draw except a slight sweetness. After lighting the cigar opens at a mild-medium body and the flavor is light leather with a note of sour plum and a hint of sweetness. After 1/2 inch, the cigar starts to canoe badly and the flavor quickly turns to an intensely sour leather. I smoked through the half-way point hoping it would correct, but I could see from the ash that there were serious roll problems. Overall this was a hot mess and I tossed the stick. I've got 4 more, so hopefully this was a one-off construction issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Caldwell Savages Toro (+++): A giant Toro that I ordered as a single to round out my Caldwell tasting experience. Solid construction and an easy draw. The cold draw and pre-light aroma both are of a rich hay and light barnyard. After lighting, the body is just over medium and the first inch and a half gave flavors of pastry and nuts. It also had some twang -- reminded me a lot of the core flavors of H. Upmann, but without the baking spice. A great start. Starting at the second third, the sweetness ramps up and the cigar becomes creamy with a rich (slightly woody) vanilla pudding flavor. This persists in the final third and is joined with some cardamon spice. A fantastic cigar with lots of Cuban qualities. The best of Caldwell I've experienced so far. Unfortunately it looks like this line has been discontinued?! Very sad. I found one reference to a 2022 factory fire causing the manufacturer to discontinue a number of lines and apparently this was one of them.

• Like 1

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur No. IV Natural (-): It says "Limited Edition" on the band. Really? I don't think these are limited in any way, so I'm not sure where that is coming from. I think the last time I had one of these was in the 90s, so I had no idea what to expect. The pre-light aroma smelled nice -- like the aroma from a freshly opened box of chocolate truffles. The cold draw strangely reminded me of the smell you get from a chicken bullion cube. After lighting, the body is mild-medium and the flavor is that of the smell you get when you walk into a really hot, dry wooden sauna. Dry and bitter wood in the neighborhood of cedar. This isn't the classic bitter Dominican tobacco flavor, but something else.  This flavor profile isn't balanced by anything else and isn't very pleasant. At the half way point I start to get the occasional sweet butter note which is nice, except for the fact that the bitterness starts to ramp up simultaneously. I tossed the stick at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Puro Desnudo N1 Lancero (+++): A cute little pigtail on this lancero. Pre-light aroma had a touch of Perique twang that reminded me of the Nudie Petit Corona. The cold draw had a light leather note and a touch of sourness. After lighting, the cigar opens just above medium and immediately gives off a smokey chocolate chip cookie dough flavor with a hint of hot, cayenne pepper. A great opener. This lasts for the first third, after which time the cookie dough fades to the background and notes of marmalade and/or grape jam join in. The cayenne pepper note stays for the entire time. These flavors combined with notes of aged tobacco make this a delicious experience. With one inch remaining, the cigar flattens and gets hot so I ended it there. Outstanding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oliva Serie V Belicoso (++): I am a huge fan of the lancero in this line, but this is my first time trying a different vitola. Pre-light aroma is of wood and slight barnyard. Cold draw has a sweet fudge note, but it is faint. After lighting, The cigar opens just under medium-full and the flavor is musty tobacco, light coffee and light earth. The body decreases somewhat after the first 3/4 inch, but the retrohale, while flavorful, is still quite intense. The flavor profile is pretty consistent throughout except for some slightly sweet dried fruit notes that show up in the second half. For the entire smoke, the cigar leaves an oily and slightly tingly sensation on the lips, which is very satisfying. This stick is less intense than the lancero. While I would have to have this side-by-side with the lancero to see which I like more, this was an excellent experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2024 at 1:02 PM, TacoSauce said:

Caldwell Savages Toro (+++): A giant Toro that I ordered as a single to round out my Caldwell tasting experience. Solid construction and an easy draw. The cold draw and pre-light aroma both are of a rich hay and light barnyard. After lighting, the body is just over medium and the first inch and a half gave flavors of pastry and nuts. It also had some twang -- reminded me a lot of the core flavors of H. Upmann, but without the baking spice. A great start. Starting at the second third, the sweetness ramps up and the cigar becomes creamy with a rich (slightly woody) vanilla pudding flavor. This persists in the final third and is joined with some cardamon spice. A fantastic cigar with lots of Cuban qualities. The best of Caldwell I've experienced so far. Unfortunately it looks like this line has been discontinued?! Very sad. I found one reference to a 2022 factory fire causing the manufacturer to discontinue a number of lines and apparently this was one of them.

Never had a Caldwell cigar but a friend of mine said the "Long Live The Queen" Sword Lancero is very nice. On my radar for sure

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KCCubano said:

Never had a Caldwell cigar but a friend of mine said the "Long Live The Queen" Sword Lancero is very nice. On my radar for sure

Caldwell has been hit or miss for me. My favorites have been the Pacific Standard and the Savages. Unfortunately, both of these lines were discontinued. I don't think I've tried "Long Live the Queen." I'll add it to the list!

5 hours ago, TacoSauce said:

Caldwell has been hit or miss for me. My favorites have been the Pacific Standard and the Savages. Unfortunately, both of these lines were discontinued. I don't think I've tried "Long Live the Queen." I'll add it to the list!

A friend of mine just received some Pacific Standard last week. He is resting them for a few months.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KCCubano said:

A friend of mine just received some Pacific Standard last week. He is resting them for a few months

I think there is residual inventory being sold off from before the discontinuation. Once it's gone, it's gone type of thing. On the up-side, those sticks your friend received probably already have a few years of age on them at this point.

• Like 1

CAO Amazon Basin 2024 Toro (++): Lots of hype around this blend. I was able to pick up a 5-pack online. After resting a bit, this is my first tasting. This stick looks and feels gigantic. Apparently it is a standard Toro size, but it seems so much bigger than others for some reason. Pre light aroma is amazing. Cocoa, red wine and a hint of lychee. The cold draw has a strong lychee flavor. Only other time I've tasted lychee on a cold draw was the Epernay 10th Anniversary, but that was much less intense than this. After lighting, the cigar opens with a medium body. Surprising, as I was suspecting something stronger based on the wrapper color. A lot of flavor right away. Cocoa, coffee and a hint of dried fruit. After about 3/4 inch, the ash fell off and the cigar extinguished itself. The next two inches of the cigar was constant relights and trying to fix the wonky burn. During this time the flavor was mostly a flat coffee and light leather -- not bad, but pretty generic. Once I hit the half-way point the cigar fixes itself and starts smoking well again. The next two inches are really nice. The dried fruit comes back and a sweet, musty tobacco core flavor shines through. Once I hit the "band," which is just a ring of twisted tobacco leaves, the burn slows and the cigar turns very sour. Tossed at this point. For a gigantic 6 inch cigar, I really only experienced 2 inches of a nice experience. The rest was toil and heartache. This still gets a '++', because the flavor in that small window does make me want to try another one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EGM Robustos (-): A nice looking stick I picked up as a single from an EGM order. Minimal pre-light aroma. The cold draw reminds me of the smell of a freshly opened box of cheap, consumer-grade fireworks. Strange, but nice. After lighting, the cigar opens with a strong woody flavor. By the 1/4 inch point a strong bitterness starts that ramps up quickly. By the 1/2 inch point the profile was entirely that of intensely bitter construction lumber. Awful. I couldn't get any farther and tossed the stick at the 3/4 inch point. If someone wanted to make a joke stick that epitomized the worst aspects of a Dominican puro, this would be what they would create. Worst cigar so far of 2024. 100% garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Illusione Fume D'Amour Lagunas (+++): My third time smoking this tiny guy. First time it got a '+++' rating. Second time, I wasn't able to put together my notes for a review, but I recall I was less impressed. Now for the third time. Once again: a tiny stick, but very handsome in its slightly red-hued wrapper and classy band. An initial pepper blast after lighting, but that subsides after a few puffs. This time the cigar presents at just over medium bodied -- bolder than I remember. In my first review I described the profile as "Sweet & tangy". I get than same experience this time, however I can describe it better this time: heavy orange peel and some light fruit leather. Simultaneously, the smoke feels a bit gritty and the aroma from the smoke is reminiscent of cigarettes or pipes with oriental tobaccos. I can also taste some "rosado" flavor in this stick. I still haven't figured out what that flavor is, or how it can be described, but I like it when it shows up. Total smoke time was about 1 h, which is impressive for such a tiny stick given how fast I typically smoke. This is a very flavorful cigar and I continue to enjoy it. Also, this is one of the few sticks to qualify as a quality NC "Short Smoke."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TacoSauce said:

Illusione Fume D'Amour Lagunas (+++): 

Thank you so much for informative reviews!

If you did smoke Illusione Fume D'Amour Clementes, what is your opinion Lagunas vs. Clementes? Thank you.

• Like 1