Rant: There is no such thing as "well done" Salmon

Crispy skin Salmon fillet, grilled or pan fried?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe if I had been asked this same question my response would be “I’d prefer it cooked at another restaurant. Please pass me back the menu so I can choose another dish”

2 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Not upsetting. It's been my experience fishy tasting salmon wasn't bled and iced properly.  Also unless it's a springer from the Columbia, Ocean salmon FOB is the best. Our fishing season in California was nixed due to lack of escapement. No salmon this year. I grew up on it. I'm spoiled ,picky,and overcooked fishy tasting fish is done by hacks.

I'm just not a fish guy. Grew up in New England/tri state and I love shell fish. But not fish. Even the texture is off putting, and salmons pronounced flavor is just extra for me. I looked up my favorite fish (red snapper) and it looks like it's one of the most flavorless fishes, so I guess that's where I'm at. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ford2112 said:

For restaurant fish on thr west coast I'm a sucker for a good sand dab.

I also love the dabs, get them whenever I'm in NorCal, as they're not generally on the menu up in WA.

• Like 1

Not a big fan of salmon sashimi or ceviche - I find it quite boring like that, probably because it was/is so abundant as sashimi in Australia. Really love the oily crispy skin on a pan fried salmon fillet - great contrast to the flesh IMHO. And agree, med rare and bright pink towards the middle - not wrapped in tin foil with butter and dill and baked in the oven for 45mins like my Aunty Sadie used to. Ha ha! Also like smoked salmon in small amounts - can be a bit rich for a big feed but a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel is delicious IMHO. A lot of fish I would choose before salmon though. 

I've never been asked before how I want my salmon cooked, my assumption is as a chef you should just cook it correctly which to me means I guess somewhere in the medium rare area. I rarely ever order salmon out, if I am to cook salmon it's at home. The only times I seem to eat salmon out are like others said either smoked, cured, or love the extra fatty parts/ belly as sushi or sashimi. As far as cooked fish there's so many other fish I'd rather eat most of which many people despise like mackerel.

On 6/5/2023 at 6:58 PM, El Presidente said:

Am I the only one? 

I’m with you 100%, that checked photo 👍 Trouble is, my wife and family always want it “overcooked,” I’ll call it. I can accommodate everyone with a whole side of wild salmon, grilled over lump charcoal. They get the thinner section near the tail after I sever it and just pay close attention to my half.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 3:36 PM, Ford2112 said:

For restaurant fish on thr west coast I'm a sucker for a good sand dab.

Among my most treasured memories are the many two-martini sand dabs/Rex sole/petrale lunches with my dad at Sam’s in San Francisco.

• Like 2