a champagne and cigars thought

Never tried rose with cigars. Mind you I don't have a rose champagne that's more than 2 years old.
In your opinion how long will a rose age? Would it need to be a Vintage or will something like a NV Laurent Perrier /Bollinger age well?

2 hours ago, potpest said:

Never tried rose with cigars. Mind you I don't have a rose champagne that's more than 2 years old.
In your opinion how long will a rose age? Would it need to be a Vintage or will something like a NV Laurent Perrier /Bollinger age well?

Both of those NV rose's mentioned can age 10-15 years.

• Like 1

I brought a rose to the champagne zoom event on FOH and it was excellent. I’m not a huge fan of pairing alcohol with cigars either.

Perhaps not a surprise since rosé champagne pairs well with just about everything food-wise. Though I don’t think all rosés age especially well, including Bollinger. Many examples, particularly among grower rosés, are meant to be drunk young. The best aging rosés seem to come from reductive houses like Roederer and DP. But then again an Egly NV rosé needs time and his style is quite oxidative (though why Francis is bottling a sparkling wine for connoisseurs in a clear bottle is beyond me; I’ve given up buying that cuvée retail because so many have been lightstruck.)

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 1:49 PM, Ken Gargett said:

the enhanced red wine characters in the rose would suit those who like a red with a cigar (still think that is a car crash match as the tannins kill everything) 

Agree with both sentiments, be careful as Rob might also agree and scull the vintage champs before lighting up his finest guantanameras for you and hitting the road early

47 minutes ago, frenchkiwi said:

Agree with both sentiments, be careful as Rob might also agree and scull the vintage champs before lighting up his finest guantanameras for you and hitting the road early

trust me, the cigar will be well established before the bottle leaves the fridge. 

• Haha 1

i have an old Taittinger comtes rose from 82 or 83 and a few from 96. they might be worth trying. 

Would be great to pair cigars and champagne from the same year. Ken - perhaps Rob will turn up with some Cuban Davidoffs for you both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My favourite rose champagne at a reasonable price is J.Lassalle.

They are a decent family/grower challenge, run by women for 3 generations.
Their rose is the best (not ultra expensive) one I’ve had. I’ve visited champagne many times, and these ladies 3 times over the past 12 years. They are a joy to visit and the 94 yr old (1st gen) is still charming vibrant and elegant.

For my palette, champagne and rose champagne are excellent cigar pairings.

Cheers everyone, happy days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2