When is the last time you had back to back 95 + point cigars?

• El Presidente changed the title to When is the last time you had back to back 95 + point cigars?

Funny you ask this question. My last 2 cigars were easy 95 plus. A bolivar Corona gigantes from the classic box code you and Ken reviewed on YouTube. (ESO JUL 15) and a 2015 Lusi the next day. Both were stunning! The boli was the best mind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Never 2 in a row, but ironically I’m smoking a 2018 Epi Especial right now thinking it’s going to be hard to beat for April. 

• Like 2

2 consecutive 95s is like getting struck by lightning odds so I can't recall since the 90s when lots of cigars were 95s. Just about every RyJ Ex 4 I had before 1999 was up there. But two closest together I would say two Monte WEs I had were pretty darn close to 95s. 

• Like 3

Yesterday, and both non-Cubans. 

Fuente Opus X Oscuro Reserva d'Chateau for breakfast and Padron 1964 Diplomaticos (paired with Nicaraguan rum) for after dinner. 

I remember smoking a lot of Cubans that are out of this world but never back to back brilliance. I get that more with Padron. 

• Like 3

A few months ago I reviewed a Mag 46 on here from 2017 that, after reflecting on it, eventually became a 96/97. And a few days later, much like you Rob, I decided to sample a HDM Epi Especial from a fresh 2022 box, that was a 95/96. Too bad there was another cigar in between them :( 

I'm lucky if I smoke one 95+ a month (rationing all of my heavy hitters), so getting two in a week felt like I stole straight from the cookie jar. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of having back to back 95s. The closest I can recall would be an OUTSTANDING example of an A.Fuente Short Story followed by probably the best Epi2 I've ever had. The AF was an easy 95+ for me, the whole week I had been smoking CC and just kept striking out. So I decided to purchase a quick pre-dinner NC at the B&M. The cigar literally made me say: 'damn. this is REALLY freaking good' twice. The following day I went on vacation and smoked an epi 2 that was from a 50 cab. Pure cream and graham crackers the whole way through. Great flavors but got bored by the end. I've yet to have an epi2 that has smoked anywhere close to that since. 

6 hours ago, gormag38 said:

I've yet to have an epi2 that has smoked anywhere close to that since. 

Have you had any from 2022 yet? I don't know what HdM is doing over there, but anything from 22 have been the best Hoyos I've ever had

A couple years ago I had a Reyes in the evening, best cigar I've ever smoked. The next day I had a Padron 1926 maduro and it was nearly as good. Incredible flavors, I could actually taste the cocoa. I'm almost inclined to chalk it up to the weather conditions.

(I've noticed in the last couple years that outdoor temperature and humidity greatly affect the flavors I'm able to detect from a cigar. And I suspect that for a given percent moisture content in a cigar (at least within some reasonable range), there is a corresponding ideal air temperature and humidity in for which it should be smoked (e.g. drier cigars for hotter and more humid weather). I'd guess that in the case of these two cigars, they matched up perfectly.)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Low said:

Have you had any from 2022 yet?

I haven’t actually. I have a cab of 2019 epi2 aging that I’ve dipped into about a year ago. Not anywhere close to what I was looking for then. 
move heard good things about the EEs, so I’ll have to keep an eye out.