Planning a Cuba Trip

oneizzzz

15 hours ago, Monterey said:

There an entire section "Cuban Travel Forum" full of information that will help you.

Definitely a few things in that thread not updated like the MLC situation which is extremely important for US travellers. 

I actually ran into a guy from the US at the festival who booked his trip through a Cuba travel agency (according to him) and they told him to bring only USD. He had several thousand dollars to buy cigars and he was screwed. He couldn't even buy internet in his hotel. So even a supposed Cuba travel agency gets this stuff wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gasoline is selling as high as 500 CUP a liter or $2.77 USD/liter on parallel markets and DC is having fits. Diesel is still holding at 300 CUP or $1.67/liter. Lines are all the way to Poughkeepsie. John

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I always bring a bag of used baseballs- I put the word out to local teams and coaches before I leave. I usually carry 3-4 in my backpack as I am walking around the the smiles of the young kids- some who had previously been playing  with rocks as a stick for a baseball and bat, respectively. I prefer to stay in a casa privada vs. hotel, better value and always get to know the owner. 

• Like 2

Interested in a trip sometime soon as well. Regarding travel outside of Havana, what is generally the best way to do this? Will a hired driver as mentioned take you anywhere in the country, is there another recommendation, or should one book a tour? Cheers

Edit: One more question: how is now as a time to visit? The impression I get reading FOH is that things seem to be always getting worse in Cuba. Should I reconsider travel or is it okay?

On 5/5/2023 at 9:36 AM, atzemis said:

Interested in a trip sometime soon as well. Regarding travel outside of Havana, what is generally the best way to do this? Will a hired driver as mentioned take you anywhere in the country, is there another recommendation, or should one book a tour? Cheers

Edit: One more question: how is now as a time to visit? The impression I get reading FOH is that things seem to be always getting worse in Cuba. Should I reconsider travel or is it okay?

Charlie if you leave Havana you might run into a few problems. No food or electricity. John

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you go, wait for the hurricane season to be over. You don't want to be battling it out with a 1000 mosquitos once the power goes out. Plus you may not be able to get home when you were scheduled to. March is the most beautiful month there. Right now its almost 100F daily with 85% RH+. Sticky, gooey, just plain nasty sweatbath. January and February have honorable mentions. John

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 7:10 AM, orsolyahim said:

A trip to Cuba sounds like an amazing adventure. Havana is a must-visit, and exploring farms and riding horses sounds like a great idea too. For places to stay, check out Casa Particulars for an authentic experience. For food, try Paladares, privately-owned restaurants. Beach-wise, Varadero is stunning!
When it comes to travel necessities, bring some cash, as credit cards can be tricky. As for bringing gifts, toiletries are always appreciated. Baseball cards could be a hit too! I'm not sure about specific needs, but you can ask locals or community centers for guidance.
If you're planning to explore Germany this summer, you'll have a blast! By the way, if you need train tickets, this website is super helpful: https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de/. I'm new here too, but the community seems friendly.

It is weird that when I first started visiting HAV simple items such as soap, pencils, etc. were greatly appreciated. In 2012+ I was getting requests for Nike, chains, etc. Now people are back to asking for the basics of soap and pencils.