The Cuban Cigar Paradox.

My Two Boxes of 2010 Trinidad Fundadores are now worth $4500 USD. I paid $700 for the two boxes in 2012.   

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Everything else I am selling and reinvesting in what brings utility to me.

Wow that’s a LOT of blue pills 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I did not have a ton of rare stock or anything amazing, but did have several good aged boxes that I doubt I would have seen or been able to acquire again. My smoking habit has declined as time goes on (hard to find the time, and it's only nice enough to smoke outdoors here ~6 months out of the year), and I figured that I would roll over what stock I could for the cash or buy some "relative" bargains. I did a bit of trading, too, which seems like a nicer way to align your collection more with your tastes for the long term while still parting with some quality and out-of-production sticks that others are seeking.

So far, no regrets. I probably have a few years worth of stock left at my current smoking rate before I have to decide anything...at that point, who knows where the market will be?

• Like 1

If you purchased them intending to smoke them and share them, then smoke them and share them. Enjoy the fruits of your patience. Life’s too short. 

• Like 1

I am relatively new to CCs. I have always been a “value” smoker as I compare what I like in certain NCs and then ask myself “is XX really 4 or 5 times better than what my standard smoke is as an every day smoke?”   Special occasions such as during vacation of getting together with good friends once and a while is a different situation so at this point where many prices have doubled from what I was buying at I am buying a box here and there but mainly or tucking away.   High prices are making me an into a person who will be aging more CCs than smoking CCs.   Nothing I have is worth selling on BR so they will sit and the best I have will get pulled out on special occasions. 

Same conundrum I am having with another hobby where one item I own, that I don’t use anymore, will be sold to fund some work on my house. 

It comes down to this for me. For example, sell a box of 2014 CORO and buy most of, if not all of, 4 boxes of other Cuban robustos.  I’m on the fence but leaning towards sell the COROs. Maybe after I see what my April 15 obligation is I’ll decide. 

• Like 1

I haven't sold any from my collection for +10 years. Today the market has changed. Don't really need the money. My day to day monetary needs is easily covered by my monthly income. Well apart from Habanos cigars. So been cutting down my purchase rate and allocated those funds into buying NC's trying to discover some reasonably priced cigars which I could be substitute going forwards. So for now I'm just holding on to my collection. If they would fetch a price where I could buy a better apartment I might sell. I doubt it though. And at that price I would be worried that the tax man would come knocking on my door. I seem to remember a guy here selling off his wine collection bringing in an amount that raised alarms. I think he ended up having to pay taxes from his gains. In that case I would rather smoke the cigars myself.

Edited by SonGoku
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 10:28 PM, Frinkiac7 said:

I did not have a ton of rare stock or anything amazing, but did have several good aged boxes that I doubt I would have seen or been able to acquire again. My smoking habit has declined as time goes on (hard to find the time, and it's only nice enough to smoke outdoors here ~6 months out of the year), and I figured that I would roll over what stock I could for the cash or buy some "relative" bargains. I did a bit of trading, too, which seems like a nicer way to align your collection more with your tastes for the long term while still parting with some quality and out-of-production sticks that others are seeking.

So far, no regrets. I probably have a few years worth of stock left at my current smoking rate before I have to decide anything...at that point, who knows where the market will be?

Only smoking outdoors 6 months of the year… Ha, figured you must also be  Minnesotan. Looked outside and am starting to wonder if we’ll only have 3 months smoking outside this year.