The Cuban Cigar Paradox.

My Two Boxes of 2010 Trinidad Fundadores are now worth $4500 USD. I paid $700 for the two boxes in 2012.   

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was speaking with someone about this very scenario the other day. Many members here who have been into Cuban cigars for a while are facing the same question. 

There is no right or wrong answer. There is however an internal struggle going inside the minds (and hearts) of many. 

Where are you sitting right now?

Consider the following scenario

My Two Boxes of 2010 Trinidad Fundadores are now worth $4500 USD +.  I paid $700 for the two boxes in 2012. 

From the poll questions. Which most closely aligns with your current mindset?

:thinking:

I favor choice 2. I would not pay $100+ for any cigar, and never have, so I have had trouble smoking any of those that are sitting in my trunks. I think the most I ever paid for a box, before 2018, was $500. That's what makes it hard to burn up cigars like 2010 Fundies and the like. It feels like I'd be buying a $100 cigar, which I won't. Hard to think only of the cost basis with prices as they are. Maybe they'll fund the kids' college, along with the bourbon they're sitting with. Same problem there.  

Here's what really messed with my head on this.  Last year or so, I smoked a CCE, Especiales No. 2, and a 2021 Carlota Rosado over the course of a weekend. The Nudie was by far the most enjoyable. The CCE was the least, and it was the most poorly constructed of the three.

14 minutes ago, Vetteman said:

I'm in option #3. Sell one box for $2250+, and keep the other for smoking 

That would have been too easy.....I needed to test the mettle  ;)

• Haha 1

It's a tough call and I get it but I will never buy certain cigars ever again so my as well enjoy them. Life is short. 

If I was on my deathbed I would have regretted now smoking what I had. 

The Caribbean is over rated anyways! :P No offence to those from there. 

• Like 1

From the time I read the post till now I've changed my mind. I went from rage sell it all. To keep but sell off some other boxes I have in mind.

Money ruined the whole damn game.

Picture this. A bundle of Nudies 109 on a nice sunny quiet beach suppin on cocktails....

• Like 2

I’m out, I don’t really need the money so I’ll m keeping what I got but, it’s been fun. I’ve read a lot about NCs lately and having fun poking around my local shops again. I’m 2 for 2 on the Illusione la grand classe Rex and the JRE Aladinos ( Aladino wasn’t great Rott but turned out really nice after a few weeks down.) Lots of new stuff out there  I’ve ignored for too long.

• Like 1

I remember being so frustrated I didn't get in to cigars sooner back when I was buying a lot of Cuban boxes, but now I feel so fortunate that I bought them while I could.

As it stands for now, I plan to resist smoking my Habanos, save for the occasional stick for special occasions. Meanwhile, I've been buying more NCs (and Nudies of course!) and doing the best I can to find Cuban customs anywhere they may be. These are what now make up the majority of what I smoke.

More power to those who can still afford Habanos but I can't justify the prices to myself anymore.

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

I've scaled back the amount of  cuban cigarsI smoke and been 9 months or so since my last purchase.of a box of cubans. Ignoring any premium for age, my collection is work 250k on Bondroberts at "fresh" prices. 

Paying off my house and smoking non-cubans gets more attractive by the day.  I haven't pulled the trigger,  but I'm leaning on selling it all.

Good lawd. How many cigars is that? And how do store that many? You have your own cigar shop lol. 

At current prices I’ll likely slowly smoke them and focus more on farm rolls. Curious to see where things are in a year. 
earlier today I smoked a 2017 HOYO DC. as I was smoking it I was thinking it was nice. But $40 nice, dunno?  If that’s $50 next year then $60 who knows when I sell. There will be a point. 
That point may be coming sooner for my Cohibas. $100 per espy. Nuts. 

• Like 2

Those Fundys would be on BR so fast...

There are plenty of cigars just as good or better at 1/3 the price. Quite frankly, Fundys are nothing special. Sir Winston and Monte Especial will do just fine for me.

Now if I had a box of LE Selectos Finos or ED 109 or something very special I originally paid $600 for I would probably keep and smoke them. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

. If I can sip a Negroni in Naples/London/NY/Cal with friends on the back of this?....then why am I in a quandry. :cigar:

This. 

I really enjoy my cc. I want to smoke them. But swap a few boxes of Coro for a trip to Europe for a quick getaway, you bet. Once I break that seal and start selling on BR, watch out. 

For now though I’m still in aquisition mindset and looking at 24:24 at nearly every auction. Increasingly though I am taking a tour of BR to see where things are selling. 

• Like 1

It was a clear vote 1 for me. I buy what I intend to smoke and havent thought much about any other possibilities. Although the poll did peak my interest and here I am a few hours later considering things after having seen what some of the things in my stock go for 😳 I have a comparatively small stock so I think I'll probably stick with my initial gut feeling and enjoy what I have. 

I'm also in the "can't select a button" category on this one. I'm holding on to some boxes with high $ value.  Some are multiples, so I may keep some to enjoy over the years too.  The temptation to just sell them and buy more sticks of something more affordable, like Nudies, "cheaper" CC's, etc isn't there as bringing that many cigars into Canada is too risky these days.

• Like 2

Generally, by current price, my most valuable cigars are the ones I look forward to smoking the most, so I will.  And the ones that don't have a big dollar price, are perfect for filling the gaps between.  

• Like 2