odd question - pipe tobacco vs cigar

Hi all, apologies, but I think the watercooler is perfect for this!

I don't have any pipe smoking friends, but whenever I smell unflavoured pipe tobacco being smoked, I wonder why the aroma (or smell) is so different to cigars?

Can someone enlighten me what the difference is?

Thanks!

By unflavoured, I assume you mean non-aromatic pipe toabcco? (eg burley as opposed to Cavendish) I would say it is because of the different processes to make the tobacco and that pipe tobacco is often blended from several different tobaccos.

I'm not a pipe smoker either, so that would be my guess. I'm sure there are others more enlightened that will chime in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggtimer said:

Briliiant - never ever heard that term before - that was an interesting google search and very informative.

Now I wonder if there are "cased" cigars (or cigars from cased tobacco)?

thanks!

Yes sir, casing cigar leaf is a more a process of returning the leaf to correct moisture levels for rolling than the what they do with pipe tobacco, but the process is about the same. If you get into rolling your own cigars, you’ll learn all about it.

2 hours ago, eggtimer said:

Briliiant - never ever heard that term before - that was an interesting google search and very informative.

Now I wonder if there are "cased" cigars (or cigars from cased tobacco)?

thanks!

https://www.dunbartoncigars.com/marca/stillwell-star/

haven’t tried it but it seems interesting 

2 minutes ago, Dr vonPuffenberg said:

That’s probably closer to what you want  eggtimer, if you’re looking try pipe tobacco in a cigar. (It’s been done for ages) but you can case tobacco for any use, even chewing.

*As my uncle was the catalyst in my interest in smoking tobacco (he smoked a pipe w/toasted cavendish) and as a little girl I'd always remarked how it smelled like a chocolate cake baking, I tried a pipe later on in my teenaged years. It did not appeal to me too much because all I got was tongue bite. Later, when I went to cigars I said, "BINGO!"  Years later I tried a pipe again. And since that mild and flavored pipe tobacco did nothing for me, I went to straight Turkish Latakia tobacco for my pipe and got some satisfaction, But that's a blending pipe tobacco. And it was only strong enough to give comparative enjoyment. But then I said, the heck with that. I'm going back to my straight cigars!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cigcars said:

*As my uncle was the catalyst in my interest in smoking tobacco (he smoked a pipe w/toasted cavendish) and as a little girl I'd always remarked how it smelled like a chocolate cake baking, I tried a pipe later on in my teenaged years. It did not appeal to me too much because all I got was tongue bite. Later, when I went to cigars I said, "BINGO!"  Years later I tried a pipe again. And since that mild and flavored pipe tobacco did nothing for me, I went to straight Turkish Latakia tobacco for my pipe and got some satisfaction, But that's a blending pipe tobacco. And it was only strong enough to give comparative enjoyment. But then I said, the heck with that. I'm going back to my straight cigars!

That’s awesome! You have to be super careful blending Latakia. Only about 5-10%. It’s super strong stuff.

edit- Latakia is strong stuff but I was thinking of Perique not Latakia. Still, smoking straight Latakia could bowl over even the most robust among us. 👍 that’s impressive.

I know you from other forums and you know your stuff.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KnightsAnole said:

That’s awesome! You have to be super careful blending Latakia. Only about 5-10%. It’s super strong stuff.

edit- Latakia is strong stuff but I was thinking of Perique not Latakia. Still, smoking straight Latakia could bowl over even the most robust among us. 👍 that’s impressive.

I know you from other forums and you know your stuff.

I sure love Perique!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 8:34 PM, Dr vonPuffenberg said:

I've tried all the Stillwell Star line and couldn't really taste the pipe tobacco...I could tell something was there, but couldn't differentiate it.  After smoking a pipe a couple of times my palate could pick up the pipe tobacco from the cigar.

5 hours ago, joejoe said:

I've tried all the Stillwell Star line and couldn't really taste the pipe tobacco...I could tell something was there, but couldn't differentiate it.  After smoking a pipe a couple of times my palate could pick up the pipe tobacco from the cigar.

I’d be curious to try it, but the shop that carries them usually has something I’m more interested in. One day I will.