You have to love your first car

15 hours ago, gormag38 said:

1993 Chevy Caprice Classic. As @fisherclive stated, easy to work on. Thing was a boat on wheels. Drove it into the ground and at 257K miles sold it for $275 to some guys in Detroit who pulled a radiator hoses when he was checking it over. Coolant sprayed everywhere. :rotfl:   Man I loved that car.

Around here its nicknamed the soap since it looks like a soap 😁. I'm not sure how Chevy settled on this after the legendary 3rd generation. I wish the Caprice and Cown Vics make a comeback.

I don't remember the exact year (1998 or 1999?), but the first car I had to regularly drive was a green Ford Explorer.

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/62612026.jpg

The first car that was in my name was a used 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. It was a high school graduation gift. I remember it had just over 20,000 miles on it when my parents bought it. I drove that car for 12 years and put on about 220,000 miles before it finally started falling apart.

https://www.alpinemotorswyoming.com/cache/2004-Pontiac-Grand-AM-lft-593878.JPG

• Like 3

Not mine but a picture of the model.

44422511-080B-4DCC-8E0A-EF92A6B25009.jpeg.54decb456cea314a9aeed93d0b9e564f.jpeg

086B1D57-9783-4F37-905E-CB66001F38B8.jpeg.4185aa5acc9be8674c87c7e80cac7451.jpeg

1987 Chevrolet Silverado c10. That was the last year Chevy sold the Silverado C and K series, right before the 1500, 2500, and 3500 series. My dad split the cost with me, $4250 total, and we bought it right before my senior year of high school. It was 12 years old, but with only 13,000 miles on it. It roared like a lion and drove like a dream. I called it Rolling Stone. About five years later I needed something more gas-efficient, and we gave Stone to my grandpa. Right before he passed away, literally on his deathbed, he sold it back to me for $1. I drove it from Arkansas here to Texas where I live, and it promptly got stolen. No trace, no clue of who stole it, and no hope of recovery. That was ten years ago last month, and every time I see an ‘87 Silverado on the highway I follow them closely, looking for signs that it might be my Stone. In truth, it was likely scrapped for parts, but I don’t like to think of that.

• Like 4

Damn. Wish I had pictures. Lost in a fire long ago. British racing green 69 Mach l. First of several. Dad bought it when he got back from Vietnam. I "won" it from him at age 7 in a poker hand. 🤷.

11 years later and it was a USED car.🤣

Got me wrenching as a hobby. Its a stress reliever turning wrenches. Like cigars. But also a thrill when you step on the accelerator and say " I made it this fast". 😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nevrknow said:

Damn. Wish I had pictures. Lost in a fire long ago. British racing green 69 Mach l. First of several. Dad bought it when he got back from Vietnam. I "won" it from him at age 7 in a poker hand. 🤷.

11 years later and it was a USED car.🤣

Got me wrenching as a hobby. Its a stress reliever turning wrenches. Like cigars. But also a thrill when you step on the accelerator and say " I made it this fast". 😁

Damn, I knew I liked you for a reason! Same. My dad bought me my 1st car for $75 dollars with the understanding that he would pay for insurance until I turned 18, but I was responsible for all maintenance and problems. I learned to wrench very quickly with help from my motorhead friends. To this day, I still love doing it...

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 7:16 AM, HarveyBoulevard said:

No idea what my old man was thinking.  This was my first car when I graduated high school.  My kids will be buying their own.  I will probably go 50/50 with them and they can pay their own insurance on their own policy.  It did get sold the second time I failed out of college 🙂

Is that a 98? I had a Dinan edition 98 M3.

1971 Dodge Sportsman Van in the same blue was my first car.  Was the family car that was bought new.  After the engine blew on return home trip from Montreal, I had a brown Mercury Topaz like @BoliDan had.  Piece of crap just the same too.  Was my mom's car.  People handed me their cars before they went to the crusher back then.

IMG_8236[1].jpg

• Like 3

*My first car was a 1980 Buick Skylark - olive drab in color.  I was stationed at Fort Dix, NJ and everybody said, "You would get a car that color, wouldn't you!" 

• Haha 4