2022 Releases (regular production)

2 hours ago, Bijan said:

I am somewhat sceptical of the retro line. Every single marca so far  Upmann (Regalias), Hoyo (Coronations), Partagas (Mille Fleurs), RyJ (Mille Fleurs and Romeo No. 2), and Punch (Coronatinos), has one C&C petit corona already. And they even called the Upmann Retro Regalias, literally the same name as the existing not-very-well-regarded PC.

Edit: It would really help if they released a Ramon Allones or SLR retro PC, sadly those are pretty niche marcas.

I've smoked through two 5 count tins of the Partagas Capitols and they are RUSTIC. I liked them, they're strong, earthy and rich, everything you would expect from a Partagas C&C. But everything from construction, to wrapper quality, to blend makes me think they are just repackaged Mille Fleurs. They certainly aren't a clear step above the mille fleurs I've smoked in the past. I like the idea, I love the tins, but as we've seen countless times already, it looks like HSA is going to botch the execution here. They're charging more for what seems to be the same product in a different package. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bijan said:

I am somewhat sceptical of the retro line. Every single marca so far  Upmann (Regalias), Hoyo (Coronations), Partagas (Mille Fleurs), RyJ (Mille Fleurs and Romeo No. 2), and Punch (Coronatinos), has one C&C petit corona already. And they even called the Upmann Retro Regalias, literally the same name as the existing not-very-well-regarded PC.

Edit: It would really help if they released a Ramon Allones or SLR retro PC, sadly those are pretty niche marcas.

I share your opinion. Upmann also has the Coronas major which is just 3mm longer. And RyJ has the Petit corona, but that may stand out as something superior when compared to the mf and the other examples you gave. I love the size, but am sceptical towards the line in general. It's a gimmicky marketing stunt in my opinion. 

Anyway, just wanted to say I noticed this in the distributor list bit hadn't read about if (the Hoyo Souvenir de luxe). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

They certainly aren't a clear step above the mille fleurs I've smoked in the past.

That's the first I've heard that they may not really be a step up. I would be willing to try a single but they only sell the 5-tins in Cuba (smart move) and I'm not spending $38 on 5 Mille Fleurs. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

That's the first I've heard that they may not really be a step up. I would be willing to try a single but they only sell the 5-tins in Cuba (smart move) and I'm not spending $38 on 5 Mille Fleurs. 

I think I have one left in the humidor, I'll post up a photo if I do. The wrappers on the 10 I bought where not anything special, they where all pretty loosely filled and while flavorful, they were far from refined. Everything about the cigars and smoking experience screamed C&C to me. 

To be clear, I'm not trying to Poopoo them, I enjoyed them, but I was a bit let down. Maybe I got a couple bad tins, but I didnt find they offered anything new. (other than the tins)

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 12:22 PM, Wfriar said:

Hoping for Turquinos to get my hands on.  Personally have only smoked D’or #4 by LGC and robusto is more my go to size. Looking forward to trying this robusto extra. 

Yep, I'm on board for the Turquinos big time. I've been impressed with the last two 50 RG LGCs (Alemarado and SD5). I think these can be just as good. 

Also the RA Allones No. 3 which is already in the new Cuba price list at $8.75 in 10s, so probably around $10-11 world price. At a 52 x 138 Noblezas it's a great deal. And the RG Coronas de Lonsdales. 3 cigars that have potential to get into my rotation. 

13 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

12 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

To be clear, I'm not trying to Poopoo them, I enjoyed them, but I was a bit let down. Maybe I got a couple bad tins, but I didnt find they offered anything new. (other than the tins)

Here’s my take on them. My final verdict is not yet out, but I find both the Capitols as well as the Club Kings to have a solid blend. Very good tobacco. Solidly made (well-filled rather than too loosely rolled like @Corylax18 reports). I’d concur with Cory in so far, as both retros side more on the rustic, hearty side (right now), and some of the Parties reminded me a bit of young 898, in a positive way. Genuine Partagás. Wrappers on both releases are also more rustic (in the Regalías as well - is that perhaps a ‘theme’ here?), bit bumpy, but are burning well, no issues. The Capitols I find fuller and, already at this young, to be more flavourful and complex compared to the Party Mille Fleurs. But that might still be within the variation range of the limited sampling. The difference may show up more clearly with some years down the road. Remains to be seen how the Capitols evolve. That being said, current Party MF (2021/22) are also smoking the house down right now, and they are also known for their good ageing potential. So, taking pricing into account, right now, smoked young, the Party MF seems to be the far better value. But it certainly is not the same cigar. As much as the Club Kings is not a RyJ MF (difference more striking there). And that one seems to be the strongest / fullest / ‘darkest’ of the three RyJ Marevas.

I also got recent Regalías from tin and box - to be sampled soon.

To add, like others, I have been (and still am) skeptical about this Línea Retro release. It didn’t spark any interest at first, until pricing of older stock suddenly appeared not that bad anymore with the recent price hikes 😅. Thought it’s just gimmicky. Mainly because of the (completely unneeded) flimsy tins, only driving the price (and storage space) and are a far cry from resembling the originals. But leaving that aside, the actual smokes were quite a positive surprise. I think both, Partagás and RyJ have added a quality Marevas to their portfolio. Let’s just hope this is not only the dreaded new-release effect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

My final verdict is not yet out

Yeah, totally fair and I agree. I've only smoked 7 or 8 examples from the same 5x10 box. That's hardly enough to make a definitive call. 

I think we're on the same page regarding flavor/profile. Pretty much what I expected and all that I've smoked have consistently delivered there. 

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

That being said, current Party MF (2021/22) are also smoking the house down right now, and they are also known for their good ageing potential. So, taking pricing into account, right now, smoked young, the Party MF seems to be the far better value.

This is my only real gripe. Lets use the perfectly timed 24:24 prices from yesterday for comparison sake. MF at $7.32 a stick is a far better value, for a very similar experience, possibly superior. (from what I've seen so far)

The tins are cool, but a bit chintzy and certainly not collector/heirloom grade. I know I brought one back with me last trip, but I cant find it anywhere. If I do, I'll post up a couple photos. At $11.40 a stick, I just don't see much of a market for them. Beyond duty free/cash register quick purchases they don't make much sense. It was great to grab a couple and tuck it in a pocket walking around Havana, but I have one now(maybe) and I don't feel the need to buy any more. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Not even the Hermosos No. 4 RG Coronas de Lonsdales?

Huh? I'm just talking about the 4 listed in the OP. Are there other new regular production items not listed here?

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

And sure, I would like a LGC Dalias but Gorditos is far from a disaster. 

It's by no means a disaster. More robusto-ish stuff is just fine and I'm glad if it makes others happy. It just doesn't inspire me at all and doesn't help to replace the faves that have been deleted over the last couple decades.

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

He missed the RG Coronas de Lonsdales which are due pretty much any time and the RA Allones No. 3.

I didn't miss them :)

I just posted the 2022 announced regular production cigars (which were news to me).

I did post the links to the 2021, 2020, etc. For years that have new regular production announced but not released yet.

53 minutes ago, Bijan said:

I didn't miss them

Sorry, poor choice of words. You didn't post those here is more accurate. 

I'm kind of counting as "new production" anything announced but not yet released although the Cuaba Britanicas Extras are getting pretty late...

• Like 1