Daniel Marshall Humidor vs. Tupperdor

Bought one of the Daniel Marshal Private Stock after reading through this thread. I do miss that smell of a good seasoned humidor. My current cooler setups don’t have that smell. Maybe it’s missing that extra cedar. If nothing else it’s extra storage. 

Truth be told, I did the same thing. I finally bit the bullet and ordered one too. Arrived yesterday. The entire outer shipping box was smelling of cedar when I opened it. I guess taking a cigar out from a nice humidor may psychologically better prepare you for the treat you’re about to enjoy. Now comes the great ‘seasoning’ question. DM is adamant that their humidors do not need seasoning. I’m probably going to throw a few Boveda packs in there for a few weeks before moving some cigars over to the showcase. I’m debating on 65’s or 69’s, as I will be storing both NC and CC’s in it.
  • Like 3

This concept is bullshit, but kudos to the Daniel Marshal dude for using proven, real-world sales techniques...the most important being:

'convincing the customer that your product solves a problem they may have (cigars tasting bad out of plastic tubs)...whether that problem is imaginary or not (it's def imaginary)'

• Like 3

IMO is about your level of "hoarding". Owning only a small desktop humidor is for occasionally smokers mostly, regardless of the brand, if it's able to hold steady humidity it does the job.

I have couple of Elie Bleus (i had a DM too) an end table and some ammo crates. There is a difference in humidity level between them the steadiest are the crates, i use the desktops for dry boxing and keeping singles, the end table for opened boxes and the crates for long term aging of unopened boxes. 

I use coolers, they're in my cold storage room, which is very stable in RH around 60% give or take 5%. I'm 100% convinced this is better than any desktop in a typical room in the house that sees AC and heating (and 30% to 40% RH) depending on what time of year it is.

People who enjoy cigars tell me my storage is better than most brick and mortars. I can live with that.

It also doesn't hurt that enough storage for 5,000 cigars (4 x 120qt coolers) cost about $500 total.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Yigal said:

Truth be told, I did the same thing. I finally bit the bullet and ordered one too. Arrived yesterday. The entire outer shipping box was smelling of cedar when I opened it. I guess taking a cigar out from a nice humidor may psychologically better prepare you for the treat you’re about to enjoy. Now comes the great ‘seasoning’ question. DM is adamant that their humidors do not need seasoning. I’m probably going to throw a few Boveda packs in there for a few weeks before moving some cigars over to the showcase. I’m debating on 65’s or 69’s, as I will be storing both NC and CC’s in it.

If you’re using Boveda to season the humidor, buy their seasoning packs. They are 84% RH. Throw 4-5 of these in the humidor, close it for two weeks and don’t open it until that time has passed. At the end of two weeks, throw out the 84% packs, let the humidor stand open for a couple of hours, then put your preferred choice of RH Boveda packs in. Don’t put your sticks in until the humidity has reached the desired level on a good hygrometer - probably a day or so. After that, you’re good to go. 

• Like 2