Best rum with cigars

On 8/22/2022 at 4:59 AM, Lamboinee said:

I can't say that these are necessarily the "best", but I have really enjoyed them. Particularly the Grander. This particular Grander bottle is store exclusive 90proof version of what is normally an 80 proof spirit on regular release. I was told by the campessino master distiller that campessino and grander are two of the very few (perhaps only???) rums that do not use any additives, colors, flavors or the likes.

They look good 

If you like Havana Club and are in the USA...

- The Bacardi branded Havana Club sold in the USA is pretty good as a mixer.  Supposedly they tried to recreate the original pre-Exodus recipe best they could using modern ingredients and equipment.

- Don Pancho - 8 anos for mixing, 18 anos for sipping.  Don Pancho is known as the Great Grandfather of Havana Club:

Don Pancho

- Yolo - Available in Colorado, distilled by Don Pancho.

• Thanks 1

love Foursquare, Worth Park, Hampden, Clement and JM for an agricole and Appleton for sippers. Probitas and Rum Fire are my go to white rum for drinks. I would say I started like a lot of guys here on the Plantation XO and El Dorado heavily dosed rums, and over time my preference has changed to what I mentioned.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 5:04 AM, Fugu said:

Well, one cannot touch on Dark ‘n Stormy without mentioning Gosling’s. Love their basic Black Seal, while the Family reserve resides more on the sweeter and fruity end. Combo depends on the cigar.

On the Gosling's note - a couple weeks back, I grabbed a bottle of their "Family Reserve Old Rum"...good god is it nice.  The price point is slightly painful but it's one of the best sipping rums I've had in years.  I tend to like rums that are sweeter, lush, and rounded - Diplomatico Reserva, Zapaca 23, Plantation XO, etc. :

https://goslingsrum.thirstie.com/products/goslings-family-reserve-old-rum

Also purchased a bottle of Rhum Clement 10 year.  It's too dry for me, reminiscent of Santiago de Cuba 12 year.  Mixes rather well though 🙄

26 minutes ago, Digi said:

The price point is slightly painful but it's one of the best sipping rums I've had in years.

Had been on offer the other week in a local store due to becoming delisted there (€50). I had to put two bottles back onto the self as per order by her who must be obeyed ... 😂

On 8/24/2022 at 2:11 PM, El Presidente said:

He is currently "fishing" on Fraser Island. I will direct him to the thread once he is back next week :thumbsup:

you are a bitter man, aren't you. the "quotes". granted the fishing tripos have not always been as successful as one would wish but this time, fish out the wazoo. 

and all while fighting the dreaded lurgy. which has been much worse since i got back. i went from a gentle sniffle to a wobbling cesspool of green gunk. i remain lurgy Mary. anyone looking for alien life should check my drains. and still it comes. if you poke the bear, it serves you right. 

so to be honest, a rum and or cigar is about as welcome as being forced to listen to politicians. that said, my thoughts are that one is best served by enjoying the rums one loves rather than trying to get too fidgety about matching. if you like the rum, in most cases, it will work with the cigar (sure, every rum is a variation on the theme but not to such a dramatic difference). if you like the sweeter rums, many mentioned here, odds are strong that you'll prefer a sweeter rum with your cigars. but it is always fun working through options. 

personally, enjoying a range of rums - when not hanging by my fingernails on the cusp of death. foursquare, appleton, santiago, many more. 

So, does the warning label mean "Don't drink this if you are pregnant" or is it "If you drink too much of this, you will likely end up pregnant?' 🤔

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

So, does the warning label mean "Don't drink this if you are pregnant" or is it "If you drink too much of this, you will likely end up pregnant?' 🤔

I think it's "Dangerous conditions of hormones and alcohol ahead".

The one on the left is "What goes around, comes around".