True or False? "Men always have one new obsessive interest on the go at any time"

Yeah, guilty.
There's always something that sparks a period of obsession, research into and purchase of kit and ultimately enjoyment. Over the years it's been (in no particular order) mountain bikes, bread making, cigars, fly fishing, calisthenics, camping and backwoods skills, photography, vinyl records, open water swimming...I've recently qualified as a paddlesport instructor following an interest in kayaks and paddleboarding. All good and I still do all of the above to a greater or lesser extent. Its about getting the knowledge and skills in an area of activity and then having the option to use them (and show off and teach others, let's be honest).

3 hours ago, RichG said:
I almost missed this post...haven't been focused much on cigars lately...busy assembling the worlds greatest thimble collection.

Bloody digitabulists...

Sent by spooky action at a distance

• Like 2

Absolutely true. I recently decided to upgrade all of the flashlights around the house and in our cars with the best I could find, which required some obsessive research, of course, and had me saying stuff like “hey look, honey, this is the one the cops use”!! My manly objective in making my choices was to utterly blind any poor soul who happens to wander within 300 yards of my vast empire in the dead of night. I’ve tested it on the cats, seems I’ve accomplished this goal, and I think I’ve awoken my neighbor in several instances by accident.

Sadly, just this morning I packaged one of ‘em up for a warranty return (a flashlight, not a cat). Apparently best-of-the-best doesn’t always mean it’s good. 

• Like 1

I'm currently on a making my own fresh pasta, fermenting veggies and making hot sauce kick. Once I think I have perfected it I'll move on to something else, usually culinary, but sometimes it's technology/mechanical based, gardening or musical instruments. I was into building and programming my own keyboards for a minute. Brewing or distilling my own booze has been the longest running though. This very much applies to me. Cannot quench my thirst to keep learning and stepping up on my modern day hunter gatherer needs.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 6:25 PM, LordAnubis said:

From what i see of my family and friends, abslutely true. I think men tend to have hobbies and interests in general, where as women tend to not do those things. Women would rather catch up and talk over coffee. 

Spot on. My wife has virtually no hobbies and prefers family get together like stuff. I enjoy my cigars. pets, motorcycle, electric guitar, music, and a few others not permitted to mention. Many women seem to be less material and more social oriented. Mine is. I could care less about social activities, as I am just not a "people person".

• Like 1

Men tend to want to do things right.  So if we are going to invest in building an outdoor kitchen for example, we read up and become De Facto experts while we procure and complete our project.  

Cooking gear, fishing gear, stereos, or terrariums (😂), once you buy these you have them for ages so once you got what you want, you move your attention elsewhere or onto the next project.  

Cigars and wine/booze are temporary.  We buy cigar, we smoke cigar and it’s gone, we now need to repeat.  So any of these consumables tend to keep our interests more frequently…..usually it’s based on how our supply or comfort of future supply looks.

Women on the other hand, tend to obsess more on things with short shelf life’s.  Shoes, purses, clothes go out of style…so their attention gets spread out more.

7 hours ago, mprach024 said:

Well….that wasnt a favorable synopsis.  I will be expecting a lot of “Sorry All Sold” replies in the future.

" You sent an email?" 🤷     Is more like it!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don’t know. My interests have been pretty consistent for years. Skiing, cycling, ceramics, playing drums, dogs, and low and slow cooking.  I know this, most men suffer with the same obsessive interest for almost all of their lives.

15 hours ago, helix said:

Yep all good stuff , but , 60 MPH on that scooter/skateboard with a handle and those little wheels ? 😨

You shoulda seen the look on my wife's face after unboxing it.  She was the one who said "no" to a motorcycle 😁

The tires are 11" - not huge but definitely bigger than most scooters.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Troels said:

True in my case - get absorbed, obsessed and then move on 

Like many other here - fishing, cigars, home brewing, Wine maling, gardening or some kind of cooking has been in focus on/off 

I know exactly what you mean. 

I feel it has something to do with the thrill of acquiring new knowledge about a subject, but once new information becomes more difficult to find or too technical for the average layman to understand, it gets swapped for another subject to repeat the cycle.    

I rotate between Music, BBQ, and home brewing. I have a decent home studio with production keyboard and my dream drum set. Two grills... a cheapo and a Weber kettle. A horizontal offset smoker, and an electric vertical pellet smoker. So, four total? Haha

When the pandemic began and I had to start teaching from home, my brewing hobby took top billing, and I built a small brewery in my garage.

F3F339D6-6A4E-4E79-9C91-0302CECB29C9.jpeg.7468634301feb0efd57e67bbf9f64a8f.jpeg

If I ever start commercial brewing, I have a few names in mind. One is “Responsibly.” That way I can advertise, “Always Drink Responsibly.” Think I can get away with it? 🤣

Occasionally another hobby will sneak its way in, and my wife is wonderfully patient while I determine whether or not it will “stick.”

• Like 4