Raleigh North Carolina

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might be inviting the wrath of my (new) fellow North Carolinians, but I'm not much of a city guy. If I had my way, I would locate and move to Mayberry. I grew up in a little town in rural Minnesota.

BBQ should probably be another verboten topic on this forum, like US politics… It should be illegal to call TX brisket “BBQ.” Kind of like that deep dish dough thing they make in Chicago, can’t rememb

Cary resident here. In addition to Angus Barn and Havana Deluxe, the Apex Cigar Lounge is a really nice B&M and smoking spot. Good selection of mainstream and boutique brands, and their lounge is

16 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

Not far from where I grew up.

Some of America's best BBQ right around there...try it all

It's tradition that we stop near Raleigh at a Smithfield chicken and bbq every time we go to the coast.  Decent bbq sammies.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Greenhorn2 said:

It's tradition that we stop near Raleigh at a Smithfield chicken and bbq every time we go to the coast.  Decent bbq sammies.

I`'ll vouch for Smithfield BBQ also

• Like 1

I am not a big fan of NC BBQ.  The sides are usually awful; everything is cooked to death.  Pulled pork is their go to meat which is decent.  They have a tough time on brisket and ribs. 

When I think of the best local Raleigh food.  For local cuisine it's fried chicken, and international it's Indian food.  There are a couple James Beard award winner restaurants around Raleigh worth checking out along with some hip places with eye candy in the Midtown section.

1 hour ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

You tawkin’ Eastern er Western North Carolina BBQ…?  Gotta be specific now…

If it's not brisket-centric; it's not my favorite...  Would be the whole state.

• Haha 1

Carolina BBQ also encompasses the great state of South Carolina. Lots of great food here. Although I am not fond of the vinegar based Carolina BBQ sauce. BTW, there are tons of North Carolina plated vehicles around here in the MB area. Not sure if they are here for work or play. 

What's the BBQ place downtown Raleigh that specializes in whole hog BBQ that looks pretty fancy inside?  It's on TV shows a lot.  Amazing how downtown has developed over the last decade.

They have the best fried chicken.

1 hour ago, SCgarman said:

Carolina BBQ also encompasses the great state of South Carolina. Lots of great food here. Although I am not fond of the vinegar based Carolina BBQ sauce. BTW, there are tons of North Carolina plated vehicles around here in the MB area. Not sure if they are here for work or play. 

South Cackalacky is also known for their mustard based BBQ.  Had some excellent stuff in Charleston over Christmas last year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I am not a big fan of NC BBQ.  The sides are usually awful; everything is cooked to death.  Pulled pork is their go to meat which is decent.  They have a tough time on brisket and ribs. 

When I think of the best local Raleigh food.  For local cuisine it's fried chicken, and international it's Indian food.  There are a couple James Beard award winner restaurants around Raleigh worth checking out along with some hip places with eye candy in the Midtown section.

Easy now, them thar's fighting words!! LOL. In all truth, it is getting hard to find decent BBQ in NC. Fuzzy's BBQ in Madison was widely sought after at one time until he sold out. Now it isn't fitting to eat.

53 minutes ago, Heels82 said:

Preach brotha!  I hit up the combination platter with chicken and eastern NC bbq with hushpuppies, shoestring fries and of course the good ole sweet tea!  😛

Make ya wanna slap ya granny!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Problem with finding good NC Q is that very few restaurants are actually smoking it slow with hickory wood. Most are electric or gas grilled with wood pellets and/or using some abomination of smoke flavored additive. Just ain't the same. Still some folks making top notch Bar-B-Que but you can't buy it for love nor money. You just have to be on the guest list. 

If the pork is cooked right a little Lexington style vinegar sauce is all you need. If it ain't, your better off trying to cover it up with some of those other sauces to make it edible.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Heels82 said:

The greatest abomination of BBQ is SC's mustard based style.  Just awful.  👎

Yeah, but South Carolina has hot women, cool ocean waves and warm breezes. And plenty of other killer eats. I love it here. Wouldn't go anywhere else to live. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFly said:

BBQ should probably be another verboten topic on this forum, like US politics… 

I love it! BBQ is definitely something that brings strong opinions from all sides! Back to topic, Debbie and I are headed up to Raleigh tomorrow to find a house to rent. It seems to be about a 7 hour drive, which should leave my spine somewhere between a pretzel and a question mark! I don't mind saying, having lived in Memphis and many other places around the South and South-East, the best overall BBQ experience I've ever had came from an old man in Ft. Pierce, Fl. who set up a pit outside of a gas station. I would drive by at 5:00 a.m. and them hickory logs was already smokin'!!! Meat fallin' right off dem bones...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlueRidgeFly said:

BBQ should probably be another verboten topic on this forum, like US politics… It should be illegal to call TX brisket “BBQ.”

That is a call to arms!  What red blooded American could ever say such a thing lol... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

That is a call to arms!  What red blooded American could ever say such a thing lol... 

Down with the British!!! Hail the Republic!!!!!!!!!:party:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Heels82 said:

I miss Bojangles as well! 😎

You and me both!!!  Bojangles, I'd eat at almost once week when I was working in Raleigh.  I use to bring back the tailgate box on the plane for dinner when I got home.  Having the tailgate box go through TSA and onto the plane made for a lot of laughs with airport and airline staff.

8 hours ago, Heels82 said:

That's legendary!  😎  You know all the people snacking on peanuts/pretzels were so jealous!  😂  That intoxicating smell on the plane would even bring a vegan back to the table.  🤤

Gotta keep the fry seasoning shaker in your glove box just in case you get shafted with some unseasoned fries. 👨‍🍳 

They season them pretty heavy around here. Thank goodness. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Here is a good lounge option.

That's downtown right?  I have been there a couple of times.  Gave the bartender a Cuban and got a few free drinks.  Quite a selection at that bar.