One for the golfers: Department of Justice reportedly looking into dispute between PGA and LIV Golf

9 minutes ago, porkchop said:

When did I announce to the forum if I would or would not watch? 

It honestly doesn't matter. 

"The forum" is happy for you to watch.... or not watch....whatever you like. The same goes for everyone! :D

Unless I am struck with a bout of insomnia, I will not be watching LIV nor  PGA. 

I am however intrigued as to the sporting/political/legal/strategic/economic battle currently underway between two forces. Personally it is far more interesting than the sport itself. 

Golfers, please forgive me. I know you love it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

It honestly doesn't matter. 

"The forum" is happy for you to watch.... or not watch....whatever you like. The same goes for everyone! :D

Unless I am struck with a bout of insomnia, I will not be watching LIV nor  PGA. 

I am however intrigued as to the sporting/political/legal/strategic/economic battle currently underway between two forces. Personally it is far more interesting than the sport itself. 

Love discussing this type of stuff - was simply offering a perspective. 

@BrightonCorgi As always tone is tough online. It is all in good fun. 

This is all part of Vision 2030, the new plan and paradigm shift for the kingdom. With more than 65bn USD ear marked to sunk costs of jump starting and establishing a media and entertainment ecosystem over there. This is one of many initiatives. And it’s not the first. They invested over a Bn in Live Nation in middle of COVID craze, agreements with Six Flags, Cirque, etc. investing in different sports verticals. Soccer it’s kind of occupied by some of their neighbors but many other opportunities. There is a lot going on with this money and every PE here and there is grabbing it. Also any corporate that can. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I love playing golf. I rarely watch it. I could almost care less about this controversy, other than it gives me pause to support Saudi Arabia. Not that it matters really whether I watch a Saudi supported venture. They already have their oil money. It would take a stroke a genius to lose it all somehow so what can we do about it? 

The only thing I find interesting is the PGA players being so outspoken against Phil and the LIV crew. What should they care? Could even be able to leverage higher purses out of PGA events if they played their cards right. 

What I suspect it all boils down to is this. The only tourneys anyone cares to watch really are the majors. These other filler stops on the tour, they appeal to some, but not the majority (I suspect) of golf watchers. LIV is just going to be more filler tournaments. It will ultimately fizzle out. But go make that filler tournament money while it lasts. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:36 PM, JohnS said:

It doesn't seem that way now, but the history of things suggests otherwise. In my opinion, the Saudis are not primarily interested in solely running the game of golf.

I don't think the Saudi's have any sights on the whole pie. But as you said, it can be a slippery slope. I think the PGA is trying to draw a line with the "crumbs" to prevent this from really getting out of hand. The PGA doesn't need Michelson or DJ. They thought those guys needed them though. 

On 7/17/2022 at 2:26 AM, dominattorney said:

They already have their oil money. It would take a stroke a genius to lose it all somehow so what can we do about it? 

They sold most of Aramco almost three years ago. Saudi Arabia is (officially) getting out of the Oil business. The seed money for this project(and many others mentioned above) came from that sale. They see the writing on the wall re oil consumption and have been actively diversifying over the last 4 years or so. Say what you want about MBS (not here) but his vision for the country's economy is hard to argue with. 

• Like 1

LIV IS competing with the PGA Tour. LIV has already poached 5 of the Tour’s 10 most impactful players in the 2021 PIP and hosts tournaments on PGA Tour weeks. The result is going to be two watered down crap golf products when it is not a Major week. There’s also the existential threat to the PGA Tour. Eventually LIV will secure a broadcast platform once LIV gets more normalized. PGA Tour’s non-profit status could get called back into question under a Trump regime if we get another one considering Trump’s connections to LIV (tournament sites hosting LIV, getting snubbed by PGA Tour and R&A after the Ukraine call).