Good on Graham Thorpe.....it couldn't get any worse

It was a disastrous Ashes cricket series for England.  Battered from pillar to post, what is the worst thing that could happen lighting a cigar?

Graham Thorpe, England’s assistant coach, could be the first Ashes casualty after an early-hours drinking session with players from both teams in which he smoked a cigar inside the team hotel and triggered the arrival of the Tasmanian police.

Thorpe, 52, was the subject of a complaint at the Crowne Plaza in Hobart at 6am on Monday. It came to light only after he filmed four police officers shutting down a post-series social with Joe Root, the England captain, and Jimmy Anderson, as well as Australia’s Nathan Lyon, Alex Carey and Travis Head.

England's batting coach Graham Thorpe

ashes-party.jpg?resize=718,405

perhaps he was trying to create his own ashes? 

he was a seriously good batsman. they could have done with him. but a weird guy. retiring, coming back, in and out endlessly. dragging his marriage through the papers. unsuccessfully. still, played 100 tests. 

apparently it was him who sent the video of the cops shutting them down?? very strange. there is a theory that he wants out of his contract with england (who wouldn't?) and this was one way to achieve that. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

he was a seriously good batsman

Funny as at the time, in my head he never really stood out as a fabulous talent  (maybe because he just seemed like a quiet reserved type).  But I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on youtube the other day, watching him endlessly defending an onslaught from Warne and May..............Wow! you are not wrong... he was pretty impressive talent.  and makes the current line up look extra hopeless. 

Still don't like the guy anymore or any less. Although I do hope things work out for him . Mist be horrible having Shane Warne go through your head everyday for at least 30 seconds.

Must be Bloody tough being an international sports person at this stage , I thinks it's great that both teams can get together and do this . 

39 minutes ago, 99call said:

Funny as at the time, in my head he never really stood out as a fabulous talent  (maybe because he just seemed like a quiet reserved type).  But I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on youtube the other day, watching him endlessly defending an onslaught from Warne and May..............Wow! you are not wrong... he was pretty impressive talent.  and makes the current line up look extra hopeless. 

one of those guys it was always a big relief to get out and i suspect that was why warnie targeted him relentlessly. he could score big runs quickly. i do remember bruce cleaning him up at the gabba one ashes test with one of the greatest balls i ever saw bowled.