Freedom to Export to Cuba Act reintroduced in the US Senate

With republicans no longer holding a majority I wonder if this will move forward now.

I do wonder what this would mean for cuban cigars if they were suddenly allowed to be imported to the US.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NW_Oregon said:

With republicans no longer holding a majority I wonder if this will move forward now.

I do wonder what this would mean for cuban cigars if they were suddenly allowed to be imported to the US.

Doesn't matter. You need 60 votes, no way 10 GOP will vote yay. 

Hypothetically, if/when Cuban cigars are ever imported into the US "legally" they will likely be taxed into oblivion and only the most wealthy will be able to afford them.

20 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Doesn't matter. You need 60 votes, no way 10 GOP will vote yay. 

I don't think 10 GOP is that much of a stretch anymore, but I don't think they could get 10 presently.

Even if passed I'm not sure how that would work considering:

Biden renews Trump determination Cuba 'not cooperating' on antiterrorism efforts

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/555488-biden-renews-trump-listing-of-cuba-as-state-sponsor-of-terror

I am sure this is discussed elsewhere on this forum, but how would Cuba ever be able to sustain the demand of an open US market?

Does anyone know of any data or studies by Habanos regarding the eventual reality of full US demand?

17 minutes ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

I am sure this is discussed elsewhere on this forum, but how would Cuba ever be able to sustain the demand of an open US market?

Does anyone know of any data or studies by Habanos regarding the eventual reality of full US demand?

Officially, they (HSA) estimate that the US will take 30% of production. 

Reality: the US could take close to 100%

Reality: Habanos ran out of D4's (25's)/Monte 2 and CORO at different times over the past 12 months. I estimate 18% of their existing portfolio is not in production. 

The winners will be the Chinese owners and sellers on BR. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

1999-2002 all over again…?

I think it'd probably take a longer for them to recover. They would have to reinvest quite a bit of money into production and distribution, and it would take a while to see that ramp up, if it even happens they have so many other parts of their economy where the money is needed that I just don't see it being a quick turn around

4 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Hypothetically, if/when Cuban cigars are ever imported into the US "legally" they will likely be taxed into oblivion and only the most wealthy will be able to afford them.

I agree--probably looking at both steep federal and state taxes--and some state mail order bans as well.      That has been my excuse for going deep on my favorites.  🙂

• Like 1

I expected there to be some movement to remove the previous admin's policies towards Cuba when the new admin took office.  But only crickets!  LOL  This is interesting of course but don't think it will go anywhere.  Hope springs eternal though....

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

Who knows!!! Flying Piggy's Cigar Emporium ... -LOL

I should have registered/copyrighted that Flying Cigars, Flying Pigs, Flying Habanos stuff long time ago .... 🙂

LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

It will be a difficult long road to get CC into the US market when any embargo is lifted and trade starts. Years will pass before any legal B&M sales commence. 

And depending your age some of us will be dead. I am 55 and this likely won't happen in my lifetime. And my 15 year old daughter could care less. She isn't into cigars and chances are never will be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

And depending your age some of us will be dead. I am 55 and this likely won't happen in my lifetime. And my 15 year old daughter could care less. She isn't into cigars and chances are never will be. 

At the weird direction society is headed, smoking may be illegal altogether by then.

• Like 1

You guys think Cohiba are expensive now?

Vote No!

Seriously, unless tobacco import and customs rules changed everyone would keep buying tax-free from abroad - cigar shipments for personal use are permitted and the de minimis tariff exemption in the US is $800 - still enough for most boxes even if accurately valued. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Nino said:

I should have registered/copyrighted that Flying Cigars, Flying Pigs, Flying Habanos stuff long time ago .... 🙂

LOL

I forgot about your blog brother!

Swimming Piggy‘a Cigar Emporium.

We can be friends again. -lol 

• Haha 1

Even if this passed tomorrow (it wont) I could see it taking a solid Decade before any Cuban Cigar was sold in the U.S. As others have said, there are some places where tobacco purchases may be outright illegal by that point. The markups between the Single distributor and Dozens of retailers clamoring for a piece of the action would be massive, the black market will still thrive. 

15 hours ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

At the weird direction society is headed, smoking may be illegal altogether by then.

What do Cigars have to do with Smoking?? Haha 

HSA is positioning themselves Very well for the Flashy, Collectable, Instagram future of cigars. Who cares if the cigar is plugged? As long as it has shiny packaging and photographs well, it'll sell like hotcakes!

• Like 1