• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no. we use tourists.Β 

Raise your hand if you’re glad that Australia is an island. πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈΒ 

New Zealand is looking good.... if it wasn't full of Kiwis.

What last year's bushfires didn't get, the floods will take now.

We have had so much rainfall over the last week, we are emptying the equivalent of the Sydney Harbour from our main dam each day. Or to put it into another perspective, the dam is spilling nearly a quarter of its capacity each day (400-500 gigalitres of the 2000 gigalitre capacity) which equates to a year's worth of drinking water for the whole of Sydney. Parts of Sydney have been evacuated, but that is nothing compared to what the countryside is suffering. After years of drought, the ground is so hard, the water cannot soak in so just floats on top, increasing the flood levels.

Β 

• Sad 3

Bless you blokes. We’re thinking of you... πŸ˜”

26 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Mice and locusts happen every so often, but this current one is really bad. Haven't numbers like this since the 80s.

Β 

Bugs, animals, floods, disease (covid), fires, which caused darkness for days...

So by my count all that’s missing is....pestilence, and the water turns to blood, and......Β 

New ZealandΒ would be looking good right about now. Β 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fuzz said:

New Zealand is looking good.... if it wasn't full of Kiwis. :P

Similar to Wisconsin 😁

Β 

No way I'd be wading in that water.Β  I'd invest in a hot air balloon instead.Β  Every spider on earth is deadly, fast, can jump long distances, and is after me!Β  Hate those things.

Looks pretty horrible down there and Fuzz's description sounds like it's even worse than it looks.Β  Hang in there gents, this too shall pass and earth heals really well.

Some areas have received the equivalent of 2/3 of their yearly rainfall in just one week. The northern and central region really copped it bad, and now it is moving to the southern region.

And to top it off, tomorrow is forecasted to be 25C to 30C. Floods one day, sunshine the next. :wacko:

Β  Β  Β :help:Β  Creepers - Jeepers!Β Β :(

14 hours ago, Fuzz said:

New Zealand is looking good.... if it wasn't full of Kiwis. :P

fuzz, as i have said before, best post on eBay was someone putting up NZ. topped by someone offering $3,000 provided it was vacant possession.Β 

Β 

guys, they just lookΒ like huntsman spiders to me. very very common. they used to breed in my letter box. amazing to see a thousand pin heads scrambling about while mum looks on.Β 

they are harmless to humans - we have other spiders to worry about. they might give you a scare if they run out of your show when you are about to put it on or up your leg when driving but they mostly just want to avoid you.Β 

but they are really useful. they love cockies and mossies and feast on both and other pests. i really doubt any farmer would be upset to see a mass of huntsman like that and would hope many survive.Β 

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

they are harmless to humans - we have other spiders to worry about. they might give you a scare if they run out of your show when you are about to put it on or up your leg when driving but they mostly just want to avoid you.Β 

Β 

Apparently there is a warning to look out for funnel web spiders, as all the flood water has caused them to seek drier accommodations... ie your home.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Apparently there is a warning to look out for funnel web spiders, as all the flood water has caused them to seek drier accommodations... ie your home.

saw a thing on the ABC where they were chasing funnel webs for the production of venom. they go to fraser island. i thought they were extremely rare in Qld but apparently plentiful on fraser. they had no trouble finding heaps. i've been going there for forty years and never seen one. long may that continue.Β 

for non aussies, funnel webs are seriously poisonous and dangerous and have really nasty fangs. those two in the middle are the fangs.Β 

huntsman spiders are cuddly puppies in comparison.Β 

Β 

Hadronyche cerberea

Β 

easy to see why called funnel webs.

Hadronyche versuta

Β 

sleep well.

Funnel-web spider SEM

• Like 2

In regards to Funnel Web fangs, it is said they can pierce shoe leather. They are about 10mm long, and even a dry bite will hurt like hell and bleed quite a lot. They are known to latch on when they bite and kind of "chew" until they are knocked off. The male venom is much more toxic than the female venom. Most bites have been from male Funnel Webs. Oddly enough, rabbits/mice/guinea pigs/cats/dogs seem relatively immune to the venom. Humans and insects are the most susceptible to their venom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

saw a thing on the ABC where they were chasing funnel webs for the production of venom. they go to fraser island. i thought they were extremely rare in Qld but apparently plentiful on fraser. they had no trouble finding heaps. i've been going there for forty years and never seen one. long may that continue.Β 

for non aussies, funnel webs are seriously poisonous and dangerous and have really nasty fangs. those two in the middle are the fangs.Β 

huntsman spiders are cuddly puppies in comparison.Β 

Β 

Hadronyche cerberea

Β 

easy to see why called funnel webs.

Hadronyche versuta

Β 

sleep well.

Funnel-web spider SEM

Sweet Jesus....are flame throws legal there???πŸ˜±πŸ˜†