How do these people get long cigar ashes? Also post your longes cigar ash!

I'm amazed at how people get such long cigar ashes. Is there a trick? Here's one that seems to defy physics. 

IMG_4337.JPG.805c3c31779a7572cd78f6c1efb5e5b9.jpeg.f3964416201d246782868739463b398c.jpeg

Post your longest ash cigar...Here's a CoRo from last September that's the longest for me. It was a great smoke. 

20190917_185820.jpg.fe5475c8716a446e22fb92a014e2f1cd.jpg

• Like 4

Churchill used to stick a piece of wire down the middle to make the ash hold on. He would then let it get really long in meetings to mess with people. Or so i read in a biography anyway.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 7kingsguy said:

Churchill used to stick a piece of wire down the middle to make the ash hold on. He would then let it get really long in meetings to mess with people. Or so i read in a biography anyway.

I was going to put that, I've never tried but would be fun.

There is a load of IG guys that can do the long ash but I've never managed it more than 2 inches....there is a pun in there...

The current trend is to try to smoke past the band without it burning through....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAazGx3h6P4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 7kingsguy said:

Funny - I had heard the same of Clarence Darrow but I just chalked the whole thing up to apocrypha.

Hold your cigar with the ashes always pointing up. With each puff keep the ashes pointing up, tilt your head back and look at the ceiling. Eyes closed in case ashes collapse unexpectedly. If you’re careful and it’s not windy you’ll wind up with something like this...

6439CE3D-EEB9-46C5-862D-AE4712E04E6E.jpeg.7f1453d3fe5ab59eee2f6ad5b8d3cc5a.jpeg

• Like 1

It's more a function of the cigar and sometimes the wind conditions (if you're smoking outside).  I tend to hold my cigar in my left hand, resting on the arm of the chair, with the cigar in an almost upright position.  This is comfortable and tends to ensure the ash doesn't fall in my lap or on the floor (usually!).   Every once in a while you get a cigar that is so well constructed that the ash just keeps growing without the slightest hint that it might fall.  When that occurs, I will sometimes wait and see how long it will go -- although I usually chicken-out and at some point just break it off so I'm not wearing it!

Below was a Monte PE that the entire cigar was only two ashes from beginning to nub.  The ash might have gone the entire cigar but at a little past halfway I broke it off.  Not my doing - just a well constructed cigar!

IMG_0935.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GVan said:

It's more a function of the cigar and sometimes the wind conditions (if you're smoking outside). 

Spot on here as well.  I think a nice long ash is a testament to a well constructed cigar. Not my favorite thing to do as I mentioned above, but I feel as though there is another sense of satisfaction you get when smoking a cigar that is well rolled, perfect burn/combustion and a solid ash.  Just further reinforces the thought in my mind that "hey, I'm enjoying this cigar and I picked the right one for this particular occasion.  I know often times I struggle to figure out what I want to smoke (now more than ever because all of my FOH purchases are taking FOREVER to get here with the way parcel services are working at this time and yes, I know its not our host's fault) and when I get a nice stick with the aforementioned attributes, its a gratifying feeling to know "you picked me a winner Bobby" LOL. Maybe just how I feel.