Hawaii may increase legal smoking age to 100

1 hour ago, Islandboy said:

Not that we’re less weird than the next state, but I don’t think you can really conclude that Hawaii as a whole is weird about smoking from the instance you shared. Pretty sure it just means the person above you who was visiting Hawaii took offense to your smoke.

I don’t know about Hawaii, but it can’t be worse than Washington, where you can walk down the street smoking a joint without a second look, but if you smoke a cigarette you’re probably going to get confronted.

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

When did this "significant amount of scientific research" happen? Last time I checked, Marijuana's classification as a Schedule 1 Narcotic causes almost all scientific research a federal felony. Other than the University of Mississippi's Single Greenhouse and Laboratory I am aware of no other legitimate research facilities in the united states. Europe may be a different story, but I've never seen any peer reviewed, published papers on the subject. Can you quote/link any studies that definitively prove marijuana smoke is not carcinogenic? 

Lets be honest, Smoking ANYTHING is bad for you. You will not become a healthier person by ingesting decarbonated smoke through your lungs and into the blood stream. That's not to say that some of the ingredients in Marijuana, when isolated, purified, and dosed correctly, by professionals don't have positive medicinal affects. But, that's not what's happening. 

"Medical Marijuana" is a joke and always has been. We had it in Colorado starting in 2001. When I was in college(18-21 years old) I walked into a doctors office, told him I couldn't sleep, and walked out with a recommendation for a "Card" as they call it. Most of my friends did the same thing. None of us had any real medical issues that we were trying to address and the doctor new it, so did the dispensaries. Its very similar in most states today, there are few that have real requirements though. Its nothing more than a guise to make old people comfortable with it. "Slippery Slope" if you will. 

Cigarettes, Cigars, Weed, unhealthy Food, Boose. They're all the same. Either all of them should be completely outlawed or we should decide that Adults can make their own decisions. But where does it end? Driving a car is dangerous, very dangerous. Should we just ban anything that increase or death risk at all? It seems like that would be the most humane thing to do. Keep in mind, I partake in all but one of the above "vices" on a regular basis and I think cigarettes are gross.

My main source of scientific research is my buddy Dangerous Dave who’s 74 now and has been smoking pakalolo since he was a teenager....and he’s never had cancer :lol3:

Ok, I obviously have to take a few steps back from what I said. I definitely used the term carcinogen incorrectly, but I looked into this a few years ago...on the internet:ph34r:...and the most prevalent response to the question “does marijuana cause cancer?” was "not enough evidence to support an association". I took that as no, heh heh. Silly me.

So, here’s an example of what I read:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9328194

I totally agree that smoking anything can have harmful effects. My main focus of inquiry a few years back was strictly on an association with marijuana and cancer, as this was around the time I began smoking Cigars. It was borne purely out of curiosity. And perhaps I read between the lines a bit much, but I do recall thinking “well that’s kinda unfair that marijuana isn’t like tobacco in that way”.

8 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Just want to point out one thing: Cigarettes are carcinogenic, Marijuana is not. This is not my opinion in either case, and everyone’s entitled to theirs - these are 2 facts based on significant amounts of scientific research.

For the record, I don’t smoke either of them.

Link to a study on smoking pot not being a carcinogen ? I assumed inhaling anything on fire would be a carcinogen

edit: I see your link.

Can't wait to see people trying to buy ciggies with a fake ID saying they're 100 years old. I sense a business opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2