Is bigger always better?

Is bigger always better?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Buck14 said:

To exclude a cigar from your portfolio solely based upon ring gauge is ignorant and elitist. Very few people do this truly on preference and often more for the ability to tell others that they only smoke with so-and-so RGs inferring that this somehow makes them a true cigar aficionado.

:spotlight: Thank you, thank you... throw money, please, or thin-ring cigars, please, please...:nyah:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is not the time aspect I have an issue with, I just don't like the way a PC/Minuto/Perla/Panatela/Etc feel in the hand and on the lips.  For whatever reason, I just don't get the visceral enjoyment

To assume people are ignorant and elitist because they are different is... ?

22 minutes ago, ElPuro said:

I agree to some extent with the statement earlier about elitism, with caveats. The issue is that some people are judging others (those stupid Americans and their love for fat cigars, for example) and implying they are ignorant or wrong for their opinion. Why? I understand some folks don't like the trend toward fatter smokes,  but still....

You are aware that two wrongs don't make one right, right?

I don't understand why some push their preferences unto others, judge others' preferences negatively, etal. This isn't stupidity, elitism or ignorance, rather likely insecurity and confirmation bias.

Again, I would tend to shy away from generalizing, think bell curve when assessing any group's behaviours...

Food for thought, hopefully ?

11 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

You are aware that two wrongs don't make one right, right?

I don't understand why some push their preferences unto others, judge others' preferences negatively, etal. This isn't stupidity, elitism or ignorance, rather likely insecurity and confirmation bias.

Again, I would tend to shy away from generalizing, think bell curve when assessing any group's behaviours...

Food for thought, hopefully ?

Completely agree! That is the essence of what I was trying to get at. I'm not judging anyone's preference, brother. To the contrary,  I'm urging us NOT to judge others. Just that SOME people, whether lovers of of fatter cigars or skinnies, tend to judge the other group or assign blame when there is none that is warranted. Simply difference in preference,  that's all.  It's not Fat v .Skinnie.

• Like 1

I enjoy all ring gauges from the cigarillo to 60 depending upon the quality of the tabacco and my flavor preferences period. The RG of the cigar means very little to me and you  are missing fantastic experiences if you only smoke RGs above or below a certain arbitrary RG.

• Like 2

44 is my sweet spot, but I've smoked cigars from 33 up to 60. Anything larger than about 50 starts to get uncomfortable for me. I also feel like it takes more work for me to get a full draw through some of the really large gauge cigars (around 54 and up) I think the Mag 56 is a spectacular cigar, but like spicy food, I really have to be in the mood to smoke one. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

It is not the time aspect I have an issue with, I just don't like the way a PC/Minuto/Perla/Panatela/Etc feel in the hand and on the lips.  For whatever reason, I just don't get the visceral enjoyment of the smoking experience with a short and skinny cigar.  I can't tell you precisely why, but a larger cigar just 'feels' better to me and I enjoy the flavors.  I don't see a reason to swap that for a cigar that tastes good but just 'feels' off to me.

A PLPC tastes great but feels as if I'm smoking a toothpick...

(Note:  This was hard to verbalize and not make every sentence sound like I enjoy big things in my mouth)

I totally understand where you're coming from Harvey. 

15 hours ago, Buck14 said:

To exclude a cigar from your portfolio solely based upon ring gauge is ignorant and elitist. Very few people do this truly on preference and often more for the ability to tell others that they only smoke with so-and-so RGs inferring that this somehow makes them a true cigar aficionado.

Thanks new guy!

13 hours ago, ElPuro said:

I agree to some extent with the statement earlier about elitism, with caveats. The issue is that some people are judging others (those stupid Americans and their love for fat cigars, for example) and implying they are ignorant or wrong for their opinion. Why? I understand some folks don't like the trend toward fatter smokes,  but still....

A lot of Regional Cigars are quite big ring gauge, so this is beyond just an American thing.  

I have had enough large ring gauge cigars to know what I like and don't like.  For me, the 52+ ring gauge needs length or it's just a novelty.  The length gives it time to settle in or they smoke like they're under-filled.

• Like 1

"To exclude a cigar from your portfolio solely based upon ring gauge is ignorant and elitist. Very few people do this truly on preference and often more for the ability to tell others that they only smoke with so-and-so RGs inferring that this somehow makes them a true cigar aficionado." @Buck14

Well, I am one of those few.  I will give any Cuban cigar a try but in the end I prefer less than 50 RG.  I will say that I make exceptions if I enjoy the cigar.  Such as the Connie A.  Great cigar but I would love it even more if it were a smaller RG.  My personal preference.

And no, I do not think of myself as a "true cigar aficionado" whatever that means.  I am not ignorant nor elitist.  I like what I like and that is my personal preference.  

• Like 3

I'm still fairly new to CC's, but I've noticed that compared to NC's I prefer a smaller size (both ring and length). With NC's I tend toward 48-52 (and some like the Ashton VSG even larger), but with the CC's I seem to really dig 42. Something that there aren't many in the other camp I care for.

I'm assuming NC's blending for larger sticks is part of it, but I'm also very time conscious and have noticed that with a CC I'll get half again as long a smoke as an NC in the same size. 

This seems to be one of those puro vs non-puro issues.  A NC with a sharp Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper, a Nicaraguan binder and a filler of Nic/Dom Rep still gets most of it's flavor from the wrapper and in this case, the wrapper is quite strong.  It can survive a 60 ring gauge and still remain some character (though I'd prefer that cigar in a 48-52 myself).  A Cuban is a puro.  Basically the same tobacco, from the same region made from a mix of different parts of the plant.  You loose the intricacies and interplay between wrapper, binder, filler when you've got a cigar that is so much more filler (larger than 50 ring gauge) and a puro.  Likewise with a NC cigar with a very mild wrapper.  It just gets washed away.  I think this is why the big ring trend works better on NCs than CCs.

Siglo VIs and Edmundos are the fattest cigars I have and they are great smokes. For hand and mouth feel I’m in the 42 to 50 RG club. 

Good thread for what I saw in a B&m today and I do like Room 101 as far as NCs go but this bad boy is 8x80 its rediculous isn't it. That's a 12 oz Redbull next to it for size comparison (the cans empty I asked the owner if I could bring it in t the walk in to get a scale for the picture I wanted to take. Maybe this is where it ends though idk. I shoukd have bought one just for the hell of it but I doubt I'd ever smoke it plus don't really have room for an NC like that.

Personally I like anywhere in the 46-56 RG and nothing longer then a churchill or double corona. Ideally the corona is my favorite I only have an hour cigar and a double corona is for when I have all night to smoke a cigar. I don't know if I woukd even know where to begin with an 8"x80RGbab70bc8f32c3ee0752f742afe74a0d3.jpg1ff59d81f49155fce615c8cd6b23ae0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

[mention=31225]jtfrizzy[/mention] That is one massive ridiculous cigar. 
Yeah I know isn't it. I kinda want to buy it though. I may check back today and see if they still have them. I mean only $10 why the hell not right, but I totally agree that takes the came for me I've never ever seen anything bigger then that in my life and have no idea how'd I even go about smoking that 8x80.

Yeah I know isn't it. I kinda want to buy it though. I may check back today and see if they still have them. I mean only $10 why the hell not right, but I totally agree that takes the came for me I've never ever seen anything bigger then that in my life and have no idea how'd I even go about smoking that 8x80.

For a ten-spot it's worth it just to haul out and shout "will you just look at this fckr!" when people come around. I would.
  • Like 3

For a ten-spot it's worth it just to haul out and shout "will you just look at this fckr!" when people come around. I would.
I know right? I definatly have to do that and will post some better pics of it up in here when I do. Not a habanos or anything, but still kinda cool nonetheless.

14 hours ago, Akela3rd said:
15 hours ago, jtfrizzy said:

There is always that one guy at every party! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The other day I was at at the same lounge where we smoked together @Buck14, I acquired a Magnum 50 and the newer Trinidad that is so popular here. I always joke about wondering if it has a vibrator in it?

Alas the Magnum took so long to smoke I did not have time to do the Trini as well. Snow started to fall and it was time to go home and get pain meds for my busted arm. The cigar was so nice though, and I chatted all afternoon with a new friend.

The other big one we are surprised I like a lot is the Hoyo de San Juan. Big one indeed! 

CB

861F3CB9-3C08-4EB4-9208-A0723D0DA2E1.jpeg

• Like 2

I had an interesting chat with Nic at JJFox about this trend. I was saying I was finding the larger ring gauge cigars to be more approachable ata younger age, and he was saying that because most people smoke too fast, a larger gauge helps that and affords them a better smoke at a fast speed. Interesting way to look at it I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 10:19 PM, HarveyBoulevard said:

It is not the time aspect I have an issue with, I just don't like the way a PC/Minuto/Perla/Panatela/Etc feel in the hand and on the lips.  For whatever reason, I just don't get the visceral enjoyment of the smoking experience with a short and skinny cigar.  I can't tell you precisely why, but a larger cigar just 'feels' better to me and I enjoy the flavors.  I don't see a reason to swap that for a cigar that tastes good but just 'feels' off to me.

A PLPC tastes great but feels as if I'm smoking a toothpick...

(Note:  This was hard to verbalize and not make every sentence sound like I enjoy big things in my mouth)

But now we know you do ?

• Like 1