'Darkest Hour' Warns Viewers About Dangers Of Churchill's Secondhand Cigar Smoke

I was told it’s all bollocks about smoking on film these days, as the producers cannot get insurance if there is real smoking happening on closed sets.

Don’t know if that’s true or not, but if it was, it would mean that Oldman is telling porkies for the PR, and that it’s all CGI.

3 hours ago, fitzy said:

Has anyone actually seen the movie yet and if so what do they think of it?

I'll probably wait for it to come out on dvd or streaming. 

I saw it shortly after it came out.  I am a history nerd and really enjoyed it.  It takes place over the five days from when Churchill becomes Prime Minister to when he finally convinces the rest of parliament to declare war on Germany.  It also incorporates the Dunkirk situation into the plot as well.  The cinematography was very unique too; they use a muted color palate that really plays well with the time period. 

My favorite part is the scene when they first show Churchill; it nails him to a tee.  Not to mention it's quite well done, from a production and lighting stand point.  (I dont want to spoil it, but lets say any cigar smoker would love how they introduce him.) 

I did not notice the warning.  Either I did not pay attention or they added it since then.  I would not be surprised if someone complained and they decided to add a warning. 

23 hours ago, fitzy said:

This just makes me sick. 

It's funny here in the states the anti smoking left wingers seem to think everyone who doesn't agree with their view points are fascist Nazi's. 

Not just in America!

This just makes me sick. 

It's funny here in the states the anti smoking left wingers seem to think everyone who doesn't agree with their view points are fascist Nazi's. 

When in fact Nazi- Germany had a strong anti-smoking policy that was way ahead of it’s time

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Well I finally went to see the movie : the acting was great but it felt at times as if this was the kind of movie people would make 100 years after the war , when facts would be less important than the story. At one point I half-expected Harry Potter to turn up..

8 minutes ago, ErikB said:

Well I finally went to see the movie : the acting was great but it felt at times as if this was the kind of movie people would make 100 years after the war , when facts would be less important than the story. At one point I half-expected Harry Potter to turn up..

You mean...you mean...Harry Potter isn't real? :o

*Snaps his broom and stomps off*

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ErikB said:

This is what I have been fearing.  Not all that interested if it is strictly to watch Oldman dress up as Churchill with studied idiosyncrasies and speech patterns--no matter how convincingly he pulls it off. Some roles are simply Oscar bait for the actors; I hope this is not a case in point.