SuperBowl LII

18 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm not aware of any evidence the Patriots have visually recorded any signs or play calls since 2007. If they are still doing it and not getting caught then all teams are doing it. And no, sign recording which is allowed to be manually with pen and paper or recorded from whatever is seen via broadcast TV cannot be compared to something like tampering with equipment or paying off the refs or trying to injure players, etc. 

And if you think a team can come back from 25 points down with 17 minutes left to play in a Super Bowl because they've used video to record play calls or signs from previous games or practices you know nothing about football. 

Oh I know plenty about football and when watching that game it was like two different teams came out at half time. 

Also because they haven't been caught doesn't mean they aren't doing it. So they have been caught a couple times now. They didn't stop after the first time they got caught cheating why would they stop now?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My prediction is don't ever bet against Tom Brady...

i'm not fussed either way on the pats, normally, but playing the iggles, i'll be cheering tom brady from the roof. philly winning the superbowl would be the final nail in the coffin of western ci

Go Federer!

On 1/22/2018 at 9:32 AM, Hafner32 said:

Food will be eaten, beers and bourbon will be consumed and a cigar will be smoked.  Whether it is a victory cigar or consolation cigar is still to be decided.

Lifelong Pats fan here, but this is EXACTLY what will be happening at our house as well. 

4 hours ago, fitzy said:

Oh I know plenty about football and when watching that game it was like two different teams came out at half time. 

Also because they haven't been caught doesn't mean they aren't doing it. So they have been caught a couple times now. They didn't stop after the first time they got caught cheating why would they stop now?

So you're saying a team came back from 25 points down with 17 minutes to play in the Super Bowl primarily due to using video to steal play calls and signs from a team that they didn't even see in the regular season? An act that hasn't been verified by any evidence at all outside of an admission of doing so 10 years earlier? And please tell me when the second time they were caught doing anything similar was because 2007 is the only instance I'm aware of.

Kind of begs the question how they got down 25 in the first place with such an enormous advantage of having all the ATL play calls and signs recorded...let me guess--trying to make it look like it was close to conceal their valuable illegally-gathered video? That's an awful lot if credit you're giving Bill Belichick. I mean, he is good, but this...wow. 4-dimensional chess indeed.

And again, just to clarify, you're claiming NE is the only team that is doing this and has continued doing this to this very day even after being caught? Again, how does a team use their own video system at their home stadium to record signs and play calls (what the Pats did in 07) of teams they did not play in the regular season nor at home? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fitzy said:

i would suggest that anyone who thinks that the pats (no, i am not a fan - just hope they whomp the eagles) are the only team doing whatever they can to get ahead of the competition, is kidding themselves (except the redskins, of course, because they would never do anything wrong). pats get the focus because of their recent success.

i would also, with the greatest respect, query your suggestions re the superbowl last year. how often do we hear people talk of a game of two halves, because the 2nd half is so different to the first? so many possible reasons. injuries, could even be small ones. a coach changes tactics or makes adjustments. a player or several lift their game. simple luck - a player drops a ball he would have caught first half or vice versa. a team or player drops in intensity because they are ahead. the reverse. it hardly means anyone is cheating.

personally, the fact that you have a team who has been in so many big games, which really helps, that is led by one of the best coaches of all time and a QB who just might be the best of all time (i'd argue him and montana but the sheer weight of accomplishments of brady are starting to make it a one horse race) played a fairly major role in the game last year. it was, whether you like/hate the pats, an extraordinary achievement.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 4:25 AM, Ken Gargett said:

if it was a horse race, they'd call the stewards. no idea what happened to the viks. that was an awful effort. you can say that the iggles were seriously good and the viks were not allowed to play well but it seemed that there was more to it. so good all year and then, with a chance to play a superbowl at home, that?

eagles were very good. you have to be impressed. i know that the skins have been bleating all year about a massive injury list, and they do have that, but i think objectively that you could say that the eagles had been more adversely impacted by all their injuries. and still made the bowl. more evidence we stink.

i saw montana do so many extraordinary things that i cannot bring myself to say there has ever been better but how the hell do you argue against brady. at least as good. just wow!

here is a question for all fans -

viks - what happens with all their QBs? who goes/stays?

iggles - what happens to foles next year, especially if he wins the superbowl? say he wins the bowl and win MVP. next year, he is a back-up? crazy.

Hi Ken,

I've gotta say, I'm a little bummed regarding the "philly winning the superbowl would be the final nail in the coffin of western civilisation" comment.  It's been a LONG drought for those of us who root for The Birds!  I agree with the above regarding what they have overcome on the injury front....truly astounding!  When Wentz went down, it seemed an impossible task to make it to the big game.  Though, we in Philly have fond memories of Foles' earlier greatness ....we also can't forget his coming back to earth (to mediocrity) in the follow up....once Chip Kelly got figured out in the league, that was it for "the scheme" overcoming lack of talent.  I can't expect another performance like the last (which was on par with the best I've ever seen) but, one can hope for something closer to that of the Viks game than in those preceding (maybe "knocking the rust off"...getting the timing down with the first team receivers?)  Anyway, we in Philly are, as you know, a passionate fan base.  There are definitely a few bad apples whose exploits have been advertised to no end...hence the reputation as a nasty bunch...the vast majority of us are, of course, not!  Hoping for a strong showing and an opportunity for a bit of revenge for 2004, given the acknowledgement of a less than level playing field.  I think we have a good shot!...though Brady and Belichick are, of course, hard to bet against.  Finally, as to the question of what happens next year, no matter the outcome...even the extreme example you query, the Eagles are Carson's team (Now and in the future, especially!) and as soon as he is truly ready to go, he'll be the man! Certainly Nick's value will have increased, given the scenario you outline...some team will most certainly be in need of a quarterback....trading him for higher round draft picks is what undoubtedly will happen.  Best regards. Go Birds!

9 minutes ago, CopperHeaD said:

Hi Ken,

I've gotta say, I'm a little bummed regarding the "philly winning the superbowl would be the final nail in the coffin of western civilisation" comment.  It's been a LONG drought for those of us who root for The Birds!  I agree with the above regarding what they have overcome on the injury front....truly astounding!  When Wentz went down, it seemed an impossible task to make it to the big game.  Though, we in Philly have fond memories of Foles' earlier greatness ....we also can't forget his coming back to earth (to mediocrity) in the follow up....once Chip Kelly got figured out in the league, that was it for "the scheme" overcoming lack of talent.  I can't expect another performance like the last (which was on par with the best I've ever seen) but, one can hope for something closer to that of the Viks game than in those preceding (maybe "knocking the rust off"...getting the timing down with the first team receivers?)  Anyway, we in Philly are, as you know, a passionate fan base.  There are definitely a few bad apples whose exploits have been advertised to no end...hence the reputation as a nasty bunch...the vast majority of us are, of course, not!  Hoping for a strong showing and an opportunity for a bit of revenge for 2004, given the acknowledgement of a less than level playing field.  I think we have a good shot!...though Brady and Belichick are, of course, hard to bet against.  Finally, as to the question of what happens next year, no matter the outcome...even the extreme example you query, the Eagles are Carson's team (Now and in the future, especially!) and as soon as he is truly ready to go, he'll be the man! Certainly Nick's value will have increased, given the scenario you outline...some team will most certainly be in need of a quarterback....trading him for higher round draft picks is what undoubtedly will happen.  Best regards. Go Birds!

being out here, we don't have quite the same issue with the philly crowds as some do. i have friends who are horrified by them. so that has never bothered me. but whatever happens, you can bet that there will be a few dills do something that will help entrench the stereotype.

i suspect you are correct re foles (and i am certain you are correct re wentz). your FO has been extremely clever re the coming/going of QBs. and they will do well from foles - hey, maybe even at our expense.

i think you have an extremely good shot. i think that game v the viks was the best i have ever seen from the eagles. and i have seen a few that have certainly gone the wrong way for us.

i'd be fascinated to see what happens if foles goes down injured first minute. you have sudfeld who was in our practice squad. extraordinary to think that four months ago, he was on our practice squad and now could play the majority of a superbowl! think of the odds on that. a lot of skins fans were pissed when you pinched him. he was reasonably well regarded. hey, he could come in and win the MVP. i'd be on medication for a year.

may i also apologise for my 'final nail in the coffin of western civilisation' comment. i should never have restricted it to just the west.

whatever happens, it will be a fun game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

may i also apologise for my 'final nail in the coffin of western civilisation' comment. i should never have restricted it to just the west.

LOL!!!

Look, give the Eagles their due, they did what my Cowboys have not been able to in over 20 years ... twice!  Clutching decades old Super Bowl Championships is all I have left to hold over my friends in Philly.

That said, it’s story time!  Let’s go back in time to the year 2015, and even 2016 just before the NFL Draft.  The Eagles are rebuilding after having made massive trades for their new star QB and RB: Sam Bradford and Demarco Murray (both OU teammates and former roommates to boot).  The chemistry is undeniable and the Eagles have hopes and dreams for a new power combination behind the O-line.  

Now the Cowboys, cross-division rivals, are also looking to rebuild after losing their starting QB (Tony Romo) for most of the season on account of his brittle bones and all.  They also just ended their entire season without their previous starting RB and prior year NFL leader in rushing yards (the aforementioned Demarco Murray) because the traitorous scum signed a big money contract to play for Philadelphia.  With a top 5 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft (note: far ahead of the Eagles), the Cowboys begin looking for their next franchise QB.  They find a diamond in the rough ... a small-town, small college QB in North Dakota named Carson Wentz.  No real experience playing big Division 1 college teams, but he has promise.  Just to be sure though, the Head Coach of the Cowboys decides to coach the Senior Bowl, during which Carson Wentz plays under Center for most of the game, giving the Cowboys Head Coach a front row seat to his promise and potential.  Did I mention that this QB from North Dakota State did not attend the NFL Combine?  Risky move for the young Carson Wentz as teams rarely take a chance on a player with no stats with which to compare against others in the draft class, past and present.  It’s a move that will be inconsequential for Carson’s Wentz, however, because the Cowboys Head Coach got a front row seat to this kid’s raw and undeveloped abilities.  He’s the one.

It’s apparent by now the Cowboys like this kid and will take their chance on him.  The Eagles, despite having just paid massive amounts of money to sign a new star QB and RB, decide that being spoiler to the Cowboys is more fun than actually finding and developing talent on their own.  They leapfrog the Cowboys in the draft and claim Carson’s Wentz.  One year later, that year’s draft pick helps deliver Philadelphia to the Super Bowl, sparking MVP rumors in the process, while Dallas’ draft pick from 2016 embroils the team in controversy and drama for most of the season culminating in another tragic ending to a Cowboys regular season.

My question is this: Do you think Philadelphia takes a shot in the dark chance on a nowhere town QB who never played a big game in his life and skipped the Combine, despite having JUST signed a new veteran QB and RB duo with prior history and loads of chemistry, if the Cowboys had not shown interest and invested the time to coach and assess the potential and talent that QB?  Heck no!  

I will swallow any ounce of pride I have and root for the Patriots to keep the Eagles in the “Never Won a Super Bowl” category!  It’s all I have left.

Don’t know anything about (American) football , but do know this : every single time I supported a team I hated because I hated the other team more they went and lost , even if that would seem impossible. Kind of a jinx

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 1:39 PM, Buck14 said:

If Foles plays as well as he did against the Vikes, Philly wins the Super Bowl. But then let me remind everyone that Foles scored PERFECT passer ratings against the Vikings in both of the main QB scoring systems..

158.3 = QB PASSER RATING

99.9% = QBR

QB Ratings-wise, it is literally impossible for Foles to play any better.

About a 1% chance he plays within 90% or more of his Vikings game performance in the Super Bowl.

I like the PATS by 10.

This feels reasonable to me.

I really don’t give a shit since the Steelers got whooped. But you still got to eat right? One rack of baby back and ribs from a little piggy ? I shot a few weeks ago. Rubbed them both yesterday and sat in fridge overnight. Did the 3-2-1 method on the baby backs and 2-2-1 on wild piggy since they are a lot smaller. Now to decide on a cigar for tonight. 

97463E91-B28D-4229-B267-317763006210.jpeg

As a Viking fan, I want philly to beat brady. However, as a Viking fan, I hope philly gets trounced. I am impartial, however, I will be rooting for philly as I have much hatred for the man they call brady.
Minnesota did not come to play at all today.
No they didn't and that was so sad to see. The best defense in years just did not show up at all! I was very disappointed in that game. Let's go Philly!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...