Parroting cuban cigar misinformation?

I’m not one to give praise easily for cigars, I hold them to high standard for sure. I smoked a Coro from 2012 about a year ago that was one of the best cigars I smoked in 2017. It harkend back to the days of yore. They are few and far between but when you get a superior Cohiba, well, it’s the reason I smoke cigars.

• Like 1

Here is a post I made when a similar topic up in the past. Basically,  my approach is to be wary of anyone who has a financial interest in slagging Habanos. I'm also wary of those who have a business interest in slagging non Cubans. Add on to that,  the understanding that many will slag what they can't have asome a defense mechanism.  And of course,  given inconsistencies in product,  it's certainly possible for people with limited exposure to Cubans to have a negative impression.

I smoke what I like,  which means it's fortunate for me that I see value in most cigars

On 12/1/2017 at 6:47 AM, Danimalia said:

Well, American cigar interests have a strong motive to slag Cuban cigars. Some American smokers are happy to go along with this because it keeps them from feeling like they’re missing out. I do the same thing. Dungeness crab is superior to lobster. Is it, really? Or am I just saying that (and believing it) because crab is readily available and lobster is harder to find and more expensive where I live.

Of course, those same cigar makers and retailers still describe NCs as “Cubanesque” and rip off names and vitolas to trade on the reputation of Cuban cigars while they simultaneously try to run down that reputation. I suspect Cuban cigars and tobaccos will magically become wonderful again once they can start making money off of them again., as I saw someone post here not too long ago.

Likewise, it’s in Cuba’s best interest to cast all other cigars as pale imitations. If that was ever true, it’s not true anymore.

Ultimately, despite the societal pressure to discourage smoking with bans and taxes, I still feel like this is a glorious time to be a cigar smoker. There is an incredible variety of high quality choices available.

just my own 2 cents

• Like 1

Not all Chiba’s are created equal.

I really only like the Linea Classica non of the newer Siglo’s. 

Each year my best cigar is a Cohiba, either one of my Pyramide Reservas from 2003 or a CORO, Lancero, Esplendidos or Exquisitos from my older boxes. 

Hopefully the newer boxes will eventually develop into those classic examples of balanced, strong, creamy but still full bodied cigars. 

C8E19B05-7C59-4ED4-BE13-215B249E287D.jpeg

054D4FB4-BF5F-40BF-A10C-14AA8B34B273.jpeg

B58FECDF-76DA-4292-929D-82836543153B.jpeg

• Like 2

I think with the growth of stronger cigars from Nicaragua (tatuaje, camacho, etc) that tastes in the US have changed dramatically.  Cuban cigars are more refined and complex and NCs are becoming these powerhouses of strength and body but many times one-dimensional.  If you smoke CC and NCs back to back do you notice some of this?  I do and often have to think about pairing a two-cigar afternoon when I'm sitting at the local lounge.  When I'm home, in summer, outdoors, I don't smoke back-to-back because I can always have another cigar later or the next day.  Smoking back-to-back, I might have that Partagas D4 first, and then follow it up with a Tatuaje or Dunbarton because if I do the reverse, my tastebuds are truly fried.  Anyway food for thought mates...

6 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

So what REALLY separates Cohiba from the rest? Marketing. 

I thought it was also the additional fermentation, plus a selection of the best leaves available?

43 minutes ago, nighttech said:

Can't decide which to try firsta49ee41ab08e512921055382d9d7e7a1.jpg

Smoke 'em both!

I can tell you exactly where this is coming from. 

Tim and Bradley on Youtube. In several video's they have played off Cuban cigars as being one dimensional with a taste of grass and hay. Their motive is to downplay them as they have a cigar business in the US where obviously they can't sell Cuban Cigars.

Here's one video where Bradley talks about it being grass and hay.

• Like 1

We adore Cohibas, espcially Siglo 3’s for me and Robustos for Mr Beaver. Put 5 plus years on them and this grass etc profile? Not sure. I do not keep notes.

I just know that these are the ones we order most next to Ramon Allones. Especially because I have a Lonsdale fetish.

For the longest time, we strayed from Cohiba, figuring the cigar was all cash. Then the day came when we decided this was a cash hobby. Any and every cigar has to blow us away.

CB

4ED77E2A-4AC3-4C24-925C-75366D64CBB2.jpeg

• Like 1