San Sebastian and Cigars

You can smoke a cigar pretty much anywhere. naturally, if indoors ask the waiter but they will normally plonk down an ashtray before you get to "Do you min...."

The food is insanely good. Enjoy!

• Like 2

San Sebastian = Donostia (basque Name)

In the side streets there are some very small shops where you can buy cigars.

do's in San Sebastian

eat as much Pinxtos as you can

wash it down with txakoli or cider 

if you visit the little bars, order some Pinxtos have you glass wine. Empty up and go to the next one, feel free to continue.

dont miss to have sunset at the Concha. IMHO best place for a sundowner is the Hotel Mercure on top off the concha. Smoking not allowed, drinks and food okay.

enjoy your stay

• Like 2

I was in that part of the world last year, as others have said, the food is great.

There is a decent cigar/booze shop in the old town in San Sebastian, Estanco 31 de Agosto. it's on "31 de Agosto" Street, at the north end of the old town. Not a million miles from Cava Nava.

If you haven't already booked, you are probably too late to get a table at one of the "big three" restaurants in San Sebastian, Arzak, Akelare and Mugharitz.

But the pintxos are great in the old town. My top three were Bar Zeruko, Borda Berri and Bar Nestor. Nestor will need a booking to get a table, but incredible steak from 14-16 year old dairy cows (vaca vieja) that have been put out to grass for years. They have three other items on the menu, a plate of tomatoes with salt, fried green peppers and a tortilla that you'll be lucky to get. Everything's brilliant. 

Photos to follow.

If you are in Rioja, try to visit Logroño, it's one of the great fun food places in the World. There is a street, Calle Laurel, every shop front, about 50 of them, is a bar and most serve or specialize in just one dish. Just off the top of the street is a place called Bar Soriano, all they do is mushrooms. Three fried mushrooms, bread on the bottom, prawn on top and a sauce of olive oil and garlic, 1 euro and it's brilliant. The place is great fun, there is a sense of occasion every night about the food. I can't recommend it enough.

Addresses for all of these places are on Trip Advisor.

Have fun.

Estanco 31 de Agosto

IMG_4141.thumb.JPG.e9e16e7cba3495bd9ffd6952a3e2d281.JPG

The owner and me, celebrating.

IMG_4136.thumb.JPG.e1748027084552727a3c2d24b2765d65.JPG

Bar Zeruko, San Sebastian

IMG_4159.thumb.JPG.adafa2b295f16abf46204bbf7af6c990.JPG

Zeruko

IMG_4155.thumb.JPG.645330057ba132dcbbfcbdbb24edfc36.JPGIMG_4153.thumb.JPG.2d9959a18cdb73404aa9f50e8bf681ca.JPG

Borda Berri, San Sebastian

IMG_4189.thumb.JPG.7cf891d07b418654abd88dd07dbbc26b.JPGIMG_4186.thumb.JPG.6c5afe0fc67ea8772124f5b28da8524e.JPG

Bar Nestor

IMG_4192.thumb.JPG.55f685a81fe290c758d5d3afbf40dd67.JPG

La Concha Beach, San Sebastian, there's a restaurant on the boardwalk, La Perla, that'll do a decent lunch if it's beach you're after.

59df4c62eca5d_IMG_4161(Edited).thumb.JPG.9cb568d409b2995a9e41d9a602ffcb5c.JPG

More Pictures coming of Logroño

• Like 4

Wow everyone, it's responses like these that make me love this community. Wasn't really expecting a response.

We landed last night and immedietely went for a bite. We are here in San Sebastian for 6 nights and then Logrono for 3 nights. Going to eat, drink and smoke myself into exhaustion. 

@Ryan Thanks for all the advice, we actually have dinner tonight at Arzak and on Wednesday we're heading to Baresategui, after that we leave for Logrono for 3 nights to do some wine tasting. 

Looking forward to finding some hidden gems in the wineries and the shops, thanks again everyone.

13 hours ago, SinfullyPatient said:

Wow everyone, it's responses like these that make me love this community. Wasn't really expecting a response.

We landed last night and immedietely went for a bite. We are here in San Sebastian for 6 nights and then Logrono for 3 nights. Going to eat, drink and smoke myself into exhaustion. 

@Ryan Thanks for all the advice, we actually have dinner tonight at Arzak and on Wednesday we're heading to Baresategui, after that we leave for Logrono for 3 nights to do some wine tasting. 

Looking forward to finding some hidden gems in the wineries and the shops, thanks again everyone.

Would love to see a detailed trip report from San Sebastian from you Sin.  I am going in 5 weeks and would be great to have some places scoped out by a solid BOTL.  Thanks

Sure! Pintxos are amazing, each bar seems to specialize in one or two things, definitely know what those are before walking in. Arzak was incredible, tonight we go to Martin Berasategui. Have visited both cigar shops, Cava Nava definitely has the selection. Found 2 interesting boxes, Montecristo D's from 2005 it seems, they may or may not have @El Presidente's TDWS (Thick, dark wrapper syndrome) haven't tried one yet though so we'll see. Also found a gem in the corner of the room, 10 sticks left from a box of Montecristo Especial's 1992. The wine and food have been fantastic though, definitely need to start eating salads when I get back. Thanks everyone for the advice!! @Ryan Logrono is tomorrow!!!

22547130_10105613287004743_1996493548_o.jpg

22522338_10105613287034683_1997866014_o.jpg

53000999252__A8C00484-BD98-4A69-83A5-4A0D3F8C83EB.JPG