Replacement for H Upmann PC

1 minute ago, Hurltim said:

I would say if you like the HUPC, you will LOVE the #2. The #2 is a "next level" cigar for me. I can't wait to dip into that '14 box I just had delivered.

I was a little bummed I missed the '13's yesterday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It is as you say Tim. The H.Upmann No.2, especially when aged, in my opinion, often delivers that H.Upmann shortbread and toasted tobacco that cigar enthusiasts find highly praiseworthy.

• Like 1

I'll throw in some more love for Upmann #2, which I find to be an exemplary smoke. Great aroma and flavor. Of course, it is about a hundred bucks more per box than the PCs, so it's hard to call it a fair replacement.

I've only had a couple of Majestics, but I liked them quite a bit, and it's hard to find a better value. I'd suggest giving them a try.

RyJPC are fantastic, but require some aging before they hit my sweet spot, just like the HUPC.

There is no replacement for the HUPC in my book. The Connie #1 is close, but I really prefer the Mareva vitola as it has a certain richness the Connie doesn't.

Now if they were replacing the PC with a Corona or lancero/cervantes/dalia, all is forgiven.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, earthson said:

RyJPC are fantastic, but require some aging before they hit my sweet spot, just like the HUPC.

Funny, what I like about the HUPC is how great they are ROTT. Recent HUPC really didn't seem to show an improvement for me after 2 years. I've felt for a while that if I am going to set down some HUPC it's going to be for a long time, like 5+ years. The Mag 46, OTOH, really shows improvement for many after only 2 years. And I think that almost every HU has great long-term potential. 

I haven't actually had a Majestic in a year or so, and I think I may be revisiting these as I'm coming off quite a few HUPCs. The last Majestics I had were very good. I actually do think that they may be a fairly good alternative for the PC. But for the most part, I do concur that the HUPC is hard to replace. It's a medium-full, rich but smooth PC that's great ROTT. I don't think any other Mareva can be described that way.

On 2/22/2017 at 6:41 AM, Danimalia said:

I'll throw in some more love for Upmann #2, which I find to be an exemplary smoke. Great aroma and flavor. Of course, it is about a hundred bucks more per box than the PCs, so it's hard to call it a fair replacement.

I've only had a couple of Majestics, but I liked them quite a bit, and it's hard to find a better value. I'd suggest giving them a try.

If you go by cost per gram of tobacco, the Upmann #2 and PC are pretty comparable, with the #2 probably being cheaper now, so assuming you have the time to finish one, the #2 might be the best replacement.

@JohnS how old do you like your #2's?
Now you have me thinking... lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Hurltim said:

@JohnS how old do you like your #2's?
Now you have me thinking... lol!

My initial thoughts were, "I'm excited I have 4 sticks in my home inventory", but it's actually 6 after I checked this morning. LUB May 14. The last one I had would have been a few months ago, but I have been thinking of having one this last month. I know the ones that I've had have been consistent and have offered a quality 'H.Upmannesque' (i.e Upmann flavours such as coffee, shortbread and smooth toasted tobacco)  smoking experience. I have a LUB Oct 14 box resting in my OLH too. Ha, now you have me thinking that I need to acquire another box, but alas, I offer a legitimate excuse (as to why I haven't) because I've been chasing some H.Upmann Petit Corona before they disappear!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...