Thoughts for a special box

I don't have much experience with Lanceros or similar vitolae. I puff pretty intensely, though. A traditional 5x50 robusto is a 20 minute smoke for me, typically, and a Magnum 46 is about a 45 minute cigar, sometimes less. I've had a few Trini Fundies, and why very, very tasty, my puffing habit rendered the final third far too hot/tarry. I might try a box of one of those ESPs at some point as a nice diversion, though.

1 hour ago, Dave001 said:

montecristo especial 1 and 2 but those are only 38 RG since youre looking for something over 42 I would go for the montecristo no 1 but definitely never rule out the especial no 1 its my favorite of all time don't be afraid to go below the 42 RG to me its pure magic (im still hoping for the day the small RG's make a LARGE return) come on HSA make my dream come true bring back the 28RG and 33 RG!!!!!! - more options for the 33

The Monte Especiales can be the best Montes, IMO, but recent production seems to need quite a bit of down time, like 2 years. But you will be rewarded. From 08-10 Especiales No 2 were the only Montes I smoked, and back then they were outstanding fresh.

Sounds like what you're hoping for is a return of the Monte 6 and 7!

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The Monte Especiales can be the best Montes, IMO, but recent production seems to need quite a bit of down time, like 2 years. But you will be rewarded. From 08-10 Especiales No 2 were the only Montes I smoked, and back then they were outstanding fresh.

Sounds like what you're hoping for is a return of the Monte 6 and 7!

I'd love to be able to try a Monte 6 or 7, my god.  I have a 2012 box of Monte Especial no 2s right now that are spot on.  I'll have to make do with what is available.  Luckily, there seems to be a lot still available that suits my taste. 

2 minutes ago, dominattorney said:

I'd love to be able to try a Monte 6 or 7, my god.

Someone here claims to have some...but you'll be prying them from their cold, dead hands. I honestly wasn't sure if they ever even existed off paper until this claim as they are truly a white elephant of the CC world. Probably the rarest cigars produced in the last 35 years.

Those 2012 Especiales, though, should be right in the sweet spot now. Everyone should have some aged Monte Especiales in their humidor. Definitely meets the criteria for a special box.

I'm still a bit gun-shy when it comes to buying Montes. I have some #2s and #4s with 2014 box codes that are just horribly constructed. The #2s are almost unsmokable (they'll all burn down one side, and every one has too tight a draw), and the #4s, I smoked one this afternoon and while the flavours were intense, the burn problems were identical to the #2s, and the draw was far too tight. I've got one more full box of #2s, and I'm hoping these were built a bit better.

50 minutes ago, Jersey Devil said:

I'm still a bit gun-shy when it comes to buying Montes. I have some #2s and #4s with 2014 box codes that are just horribly constructed. The #2s are almost unsmokable (they'll all burn down one side, and every one has too tight a draw), and the #4s, I smoked one this afternoon and while the flavours were intense, the burn problems were identical to the #2s, and the draw was far too tight. I've got one more full box of #2s, and I'm hoping these were built a bit better.

Not to beat a dead horse, but get them from the 24:24 sales, or buy them in person (I know that's easier said than done, it's something I've only pulled off once myself).  However, while it's accurate to say that a lot of #2 and #4 can be inconsistent, this is likely due to their global popularity and the fact that they are two of the most widely produced and sold Habanos out there.  I have had trouble buying them blind myself and would never do so again.  However, I've bought about 6-8 boxes of Especial no 2 blind and never had a problem.  Obviously, your mileage may vary, but that's my experience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dominattorney said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but get them from the 24:24 sales, or buy them in person (I know that's easier said than done, it's something I've only pulled off once myself).  However, while it's accurate to say that a lot of #2 and #4 can be inconsistent, this is likely due to their global popularity and the fact that they are two of the most widely produced and sold Habanos out there.  I have had trouble buying them blind myself and would never do so again.  However, I've bought about 6-8 boxes of Especial no 2 blind and never had a problem.  Obviously, your mileage may vary, but that's my experience.

I don't really have the opportunity to buy in person and until last week, I didn't even know of this site, thus it was always a case of buying blind from one of the two very well-known HK online retailers. Unlike many others on this site, if I can buy 3 or 4 standard-production boxes a year I'm doing well. This one will be a special treat, courtesy of my county's fellow taxpayers (not that a whole lot of people in my county pay taxes, sadly). You're definitely right about the Monte 2s being hit-or-miss, and since I started smoking I've always had a box in my humidor. Until this one (and the M2s), I'd always had exceptional sticks. The last box had beautifully dark, oily wrappers and each one was a masterpiece. That's why I bought two boxen in a subsequent order. hoping lightning would strike twice. It clearly did not. That 4 I had this afternoon, the first third was beyond good; a marvelously complex smoke, but then it started to have problems like all the others in the box; it was burning at a 45 degree angle and that one side of the wrapper just wouldn't stay lit. I did manage to finish it, but it was a struggle.

5 minutes ago, Dude said:

Not sure if anyone has suggested a box of Ramon Allones Specially Selected. IMHO the best robusto available today. And the price is right!

Never been a fan of the RA line. I bought a box of these, smoked three over the course of six months, traded them for a box of Boli RCs, and never looked back. I still have a few of those RCs in my humi and they are deeeeelish! Almost time for a fresh box, if a certain client would pay his bill!