How deep are you going on the '17 discontinued list?

2 hours ago, JustTheMessenger said:

I think the trend is more in anticipation of the expanding US consumer.  There is an increasing number of people venturing into the cuban cigar market and most of those prefer the "Short/Fat".  The reduction of the smaller ring and long/skinny formats is likely meant to free up tobacco stock for new larger ring gauge offerings.

If you like the smaller sticks such as petit coronas or long ones like the Boli CG, time to begin hedging your stock on the formats you enjoy....especially if they are not of the mainstream names like Cohiba, Monticristo, RyJ, Punch, etc.

VIP hour of our smoking event has ended.  The general public has just been let in.  Get ready, it will be a few years for it to settle down.

That's because we've learned if you buy a "short and fat" cigar, your cigar will always be at the "sweet spot" when you're smoking it.  LOL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing. Life goes on and there are plenty of other cigars I like.

I don't think any one year of cuts has affected my regular rotation as much as this year's. Boli Tubos No 1 and HUPC are two major blows. BCG had been performing so well I went for a box and was richl

I buy what I already really like... not chase what's being discontinued...

Grabbed two boxes of HUPCs yesterday to supplement what I already have. At the rate I smoke cigars what I now have will last me a long time.

I have never even tried BCGs, but I think they are a very safe box purchase based on popular opinion so I will be grabbing one when they come up again on 24:24. I have been considering buying one for a while anyway, so all the more reason.  I rarely have time for longer cigars, so these will likely age by default quite nicely too. 

I am not really going to worry about the rest and therefore I am not going "deep" by any means. 

17 hours ago, JustTheMessenger said:

I think the trend is more in anticipation of the expanding US consumer.  There is an increasing number of people venturing into the cuban cigar market and most of those prefer the "Short/Fat".  The reduction of the smaller ring and long/skinny formats is likely meant to free up tobacco stock for new larger ring gauge offerings.

If you like the smaller sticks such as petit coronas or long ones like the Boli CG, time to begin hedging your stock on the formats you enjoy....especially if they are not of the mainstream names like Cohiba, Monticristo, RyJ, Punch, etc.

VIP hour of our smoking event has ended.  The general public has just been let in.  Get ready, it will be a few years for it to settle down.

Jtm

i have read and reread your post about 6 times ... I can't see where it has anything to do with the point of my post or why you quoted me .

i certainly don't wish to be misunderstood .

the only point I was trying to make was ... I was buying upmann pc's 15 and 20 and 25 years ago ... don't need to get any now .

if you misunderstood this ... I am truly sorry .

derrek

17 hours ago, JustTheMessenger said:

Jtm

i have read and reread your post about 6 times ... I can't see where it has anything to do with the point of my post or why you quoted me .

the only point I was trying to make was ... I was buying upmann pc's 15 and 20 and 25 years ago ... don't need to get any now .

derrek

4 hours ago, dvickery said:

Jtm

derrek

Oh, so sorry dvickery.  No disrespect intended.  I didn't pick up in your initial post that you were "set" on those and didn't need any more.  I misinterpreted it to mean "they must not be very good if they're not selling".  I wanted to express we are likely to see an overall trend of fewer and fewer small formats.  Which will be a shame.

Picked up 2 boxes of the Boli #1 Tubos, as I love that size. Also picked up a box of the BCGs, though I've never had one previously. I'll let them settle for a month and try a few. If they are as good as I anticipated they'll be, I'll pick up another box or so before summer hits here in the US.

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2017 at 7:49 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

I don't think any one year of cuts has affected my regular rotation as much as this year's. Boli Tubos No 1 and HUPC are two major blows. BCG had been performing so well I went for a box and was richly rewarded. Was probably going to pick up another in a few months but now I may be picking up two a lot sooner. I don't smoke Churchills frequently so 2 boxes should last me for several years.

The Boli Tubos No. 1 just kills me. I've been onto these and the No 2s for a couple of years as I believe they were the best Bolivars (yes, better than BBF and BRC) until the BCG just came in like gangbusters in late 15. I love Coronas, and I was just so thrilled to have a Boli Corona that performed again after 20 years, even at the price premium of the Tubos. Well worth it, IMO. Now, I'm stuck with a No. 2 that I wish was longer...

The HUPC is excellent. Period. I've been gravitating away from Marevas (and Minutos) for some time now, but when I just want a good hit of Upmann, the HUPC never fails to deliver. At least there's still the Majestics, which are also quite good and oddly much cheaper than the PCs.

The biggest loss for me is the JLP Petit Cetros. Far superior to the others in the JLP lineup, this has been my everyday smoke for years. I honestly don't know what I'm going to replace it with. I've not tried them yet, but I've heard the Petit Cazadores are quite good, and hopefully the same blend, but the Cazadores are not the same, and neither are the Cremas, Brevas or Nacionales. IMO, the best value in the world, and if you've never tried one, you'll be blown away at well under $2 each. Just avoid the BLE 11 codes. Only consistently off code I've ever had. BLE 12 is fine.

Going to try and buy a box of JLP Petit Cetros' now to try based on your comments! Been looking for a cheap daily smoke. Sad that they are discontinuing so much :(

4 hours ago, Luca said:

Going to try and buy a box of JLP Petit Cetros' now to try based on your comments! Been looking for a cheap daily smoke. Sad that they are discontinuing so much :(

Get them while you can--my main and cheapest source has evidently run out. The good news is I have sampled some Petit Cazadores in the meantime and the results were quite positive, and I believe they will be an adequate replacement for my beloved Petit Cetros. 

• Like 1

Get them while you can--my main and cheapest source has evidently run out. The good news is I have sampled some Petit Cazadores in the meantime and the results were quite positive, and I believe they will be an adequate replacement for my beloved Petit Cetros. 

Yes and they're roughly the same price too! Do you think they are a step up from the Petit Cetros?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Luca said:

Yes and they're roughly the same price too! Do you think they are a step up from the Petit Cetros?

The Cetros were much cheaper than the Petit Cazadores from my primary source but they are about the same price from most other vendors. I would say that I still prefer the Cetros but the Petit Cazadores were very comparable. I found that the Cetros lasted a bit longer for me as well. Again, I would definitely avoid the Brevas, Cremas and Nacionales as every one I've tried was terrible. So far, the Petit Cetros and the Petit Cazadores are the standouts. Haven't had a Cazadores or Conservas however. 

• Like 1

The Cetros were much cheaper than the Petit Cazadores from my primary source but they are about the same price from most other vendors. I would say that I still prefer the Cetros but the Petit Cazadores were very comparable. I found that the Cetros lasted a bit longer for me as well. Again, I would definitely avoid the Brevas, Cremas and Nacionales as every one I've tried was terrible. So far, the Petit Cetros and the Petit Cazadores are the standouts. Haven't had a Cazadores or Conservas however. 

I guess that's the reason why they're discontinuing the Brevas, Cremas and Nacionales. Doesnt make sense why they are getting rid of so many other great vitolas though. It's as if it's a pre-requisite for Habanos SA to discontinue good vitolas every so often...

:(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Luca said:

I guess that's the reason why they're discontinuing the Brevas, Cremas and Nacionales. Doesnt make sense why they are getting rid of so many other great vitolas though. It's as if it's a pre-requisite for Habanos SA to discontinue good vitolas every so often...

:(

I believe only the Petit Cetros and the Cremas were cut from the current lineup. Brevas, Nacionales, Cazadores, Petit Cazadores and Conservas will soldier on. The Conservas is actually quite large at 44 x 140mm, very close to the Franciscos vitola (Boli CE) which was 44 x 143 and was considered a Grand Corona informally.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Luca said:

Got to tell you Luca, I crack up every time I see that pic of Laurence jamming 3 cigars in his mouth. Priceless !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I believe only the Petit Cetros and the Cremas were cut from the current lineup. Brevas, Nacionales, Cazadores, Petit Cazadores and Conservas will soldier on. The Conservas is actually quite large at 44 x 140mm, very close to the Franciscos vitola (Boli CE) which was 44 x 143 and was considered a Grand Corona informally.

Yes you're right NSXCIGAR. I should of checked before I posted. Thanks for correcting me :) I hope the Petit Cazadores are a good "replacement"

Luca

1 hour ago, stunod said:

Got to tell you Luca, I crack up every time I see that pic of Laurence jamming 3 cigars in his mouth. Priceless !

Haha thanks :) He is my superhero! Not all superheros wear capes you see!