How deep are you going on the '17 discontinued list?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing. Life goes on and there are plenty of other cigars I like.

I don't think any one year of cuts has affected my regular rotation as much as this year's. Boli Tubos No 1 and HUPC are two major blows. BCG had been performing so well I went for a box and was richl

I buy what I already really like... not chase what's being discontinued...

18 hours ago, topdiesel said:

Picked up a couple more boxes of the Tubos #1.  Bolivar is dwindling away.  Picked up some others as well.  Won't be chasing any more.  Saving my money for the new Elegantes.   Anyone have any word on the RA Superiores?  Seems like they are thin on the ground. 

Saw a couple boxes of Superiores last week at Hotel Nacional. Can't say I saw them anywhere else tho

• Like 1

I recently bought 5 boxes of HUPC's my first ever 2015's along with 5 boxes of du princes that should be enough for me for the next 15 or so years lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, forgop said:

Cabs are long gone

True, however: 

A: Hope springs eternal 

B:  Most anything is available for a price 

C: Taking a man's dreams is crueler than taking his life

• Like 4

shallow for me as well, the discontinued lists from previous years have hurt me more than this one,having said that the reason for the discontinuations is apparently they don't sell so well so we should still see stock for the foreseeable future  

On 2/10/2017 at 9:46 PM, topdiesel said:

Picked up a couple more boxes of the Tubos #1.  Bolivar is dwindling away.  Picked up some others as well.  Won't be chasing any more.  Saving my money for the new Elegantes.   Anyone have any word on the RA Superiores?  Seems like they are thin on the ground. 

I hope they keep the Superiores. They haven't been around that long but are awesome smokes

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rocketman64 said:

the "classics" -- BLS, RASS, Monte#2, Connie A; etc

Can I ask what is a BLS?  I am not trying to be an asshat, I just am curious if this was a typo or just something I am missing?  

• Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 9:29 PM, bb360 said:

where's the ls the List

On 2/12/2017 at 1:01 AM, Rocketman64 said:

sorry for the noob question, but where is this "list"?  

The list can be found in the topic below:

Not everything on the list is being deleted - in some cases (like the Montecristo No. 1 and 3) it is only a packaging type that is being discontinued.  There is an easier to read summary of it here:

In regards to the original question, I have three boxes of the du Prince sitting in the OLH, and I would love to get my hands on a box of Don Alejandro's if the opportunity arises.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

Evidently just a bit deeper with today's 24:24...

I'm in the same boat - I now have two boxes of the HUPC in the OLH to keep my du Prince's company.  Still keeping an eye out for those Don Alejandro's.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2017 at 1:13 AM, zeedubbya said:

Can I ask what is a BLS?  I am not trying to be an asshat, I just am curious if this was a typo or just something I am missing?  

Kind of curious myself, anyone?  

Nothing deep really. Might add a box of bcg, du prince, boli1, and hupc but I would buy them anyway. I do prefer most cigars young and fresh. Going deep is quite not solve that problem for me. Still feeling gutted with some...

On 2/12/2017 at 11:14 PM, SinfullyPatient said:

I picked up... 5 boxes of BCG's.

Of all the vitolas on the 2017 discontinued list the BCGs seem to be in lowest supply in relation to demand.  I wish I would have purchased 5 boxes.   

Punch Punch Cab and debating HUPC.  Never been a small format guy until recently but as soon as they were discontinued I've been hearing great things.  Wonder if that's coincidental or not...

Heard great things about BCG but I don't know that I have enough room in my life for another Churchill.  I suspect part of the thinning of the herd in offerings simply comes from the fact that Churchill or DC format is already a niche market as is.  I'm no market expert by any means, it just seems like outside of our enthusiast bubble, large format cigars aren't big sellers and their leaf is hard to come by.

• Like 1

Of all the vitolas on the 2017 discontinued list the BCGs seem to be in lowest supply in relation to demand.  I wish I would have purchased 5 boxes.   

I think I'm going to order 2 more BCG's for a total of 5. 2 arrived today and another is enroute. A box of VR DA's also landed and it may be the nicest looking box of cigars I've ever received

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, forgop said:

I think I'm going to order 2 more BCG's for a total of 5. 2 arrived today and another is enroute. A box of VR DA's also landed and it may be the nicest looking box of cigars I've ever received

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Are those Don Alejandros OPS NOV 15?

20 hours ago, MrGlass said:

I'm in the same boat - I now have two boxes of the HUPC in the OLH to keep my du Prince's company.  Still keeping an eye out for those Don Alejandro's.

Yes, I still think about those aged H.Upmann Petit Coronas we group split last year, they were just so, so good! I've stocked up on the HUPC myself and I look forward to aging them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnInCleveland said:

debating HUPC.  Never been a small format guy until recently but as soon as they were discontinued I've been hearing great things.  Wonder if that's coincidental or not...

I think the H.Upmann Petit Corona was something we took for granted.  It was a solid performer, but because it was small, cheap and easily obtained, it was often overlooked.  I was lucky enough to split some aged ones with @JohnS last year, and at 10 years they were still packing a mighty punch with no signs of letting up.

For what it's worth, I think you'll be glad if you add a box or two of these to your collection.  Especially in the years to come if you give them some time to sleep.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 9:25 PM, dvickery said:

Nothing

if upmann pc's were big sellers they would not be discontinued ... the time for buying upmann pc's was 15 years ago .

derrek

I think the trend is more in anticipation of the expanding US consumer.  There is an increasing number of people venturing into the cuban cigar market and most of those prefer the "Short/Fat".  The reduction of the smaller ring and long/skinny formats is likely meant to free up tobacco stock for new larger ring gauge offerings.

If you like the smaller sticks such as petit coronas or long ones like the Boli CG, time to begin hedging your stock on the formats you enjoy....especially if they are not of the mainstream names like Cohiba, Monticristo, RyJ, Punch, etc.

VIP hour of our smoking event has ended.  The general public has just been let in.  Get ready, it will be a few years for it to settle down.

• Like 3