Answer this one for me.....how long does it take to get a handle on the world of cuban cigars.

Time wise to get a handle on CC's? Hmmm... I would say that depends one thing: Sampling.
I am no expert by a long shot but I would be willing to bet I have tried pretty close to 85% of regular production cigars. I purchased well over 50 singles and recieved gobs from trades, fivers and swaps for shelves/drawers.
My advice: Sample, sample and sample. Find some fellow BOTL, go to a herf and swap stories and cigars. Three of my top five cigars in '16 came from fellow BOTL.
RE: Getting a handle on aging. I recieved a huge sampler from an FOH member who had a bunch of '14 cigars he was gracious enough to part with. I was able to do quite a few vertical tastings and started to see where some of the cigars I tried fresh would be in two years. A true eye opener.
To sum up: Sample like a madman, get with some great BOTL's and enjoy the friggin ride:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The devil lives in the details. Why would anyone want to shortcut a life time journey in the cuban cigar world? That journey is the point. That IS the beauty of it. Trying out cigars and find the best

I see this question as an enigma. You might as well ask, when will I be happy? My friend Nik says he knows a guy that buys 1 box of Monte 4's a month. That is all he smokes. That is all he wants

I find the exact opposite is true! I go to non cuban sites and see about 1000 different "lines" and each line has 4 to 10 different sizes. At the end i get confused and send a message to this blo

36 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

And I'd add, for those who don't have access to habanos, or live in a high taxes country (UK, Canada): be or-ga-ni-zed. Find 4 buddies with the same interest, and split ALL your purchases. I guarantee you that a "composite box" of 5x5 robustos or pyramids/campañas of the same age will make you learn faster and cheaper than the five boxes of robustos or pyramids/campañas…

That is about the most astute and constructive piece of advice yet. I do believe it takes a significant financial investment to get 'a handle' on the world of Habanos.  Read all you want for an intellectual/theoretical handle but to get a comprehensive/practical handle takes time and money.  It doesn't take the cost of a second mortgage mind you, but if you spend $10 plus per cigar, it isn't exactly inexpensive.

If you only smoke PCs and Minutos it's a little cheaper.:)

I would add, that the experience that is "Habanos" is something often times better shared with friends. This is why many of us frequent sites such as this. The box 'sharing' technique has then a multifaceted effect which makes it very appealing.

Great ideas guys... Yes, cigar smoking takes disposable income, but you don't have to be rich (not yet anyway) to experience Habanos and get well on your way to having a 'handle' on the Cuban cigar!

... now we are getting somewhere!

Perhaps the aspect of 'frequency of smoking' is now coming to light. Do you need to smoke a cigar a day, have a $250 or $500/month cigar habit? I don't think so.

I have to agree that 'smoking' time is the experience that we are most likely talking about. Yet smoking is not a race! Ask any seasoned smoker! Many of us prefer smaller ring, lesser cost and shorter cigars. Why start, like a guy that I saw in the frauds forum with the BHK? You don't have to... Getting a handle, part of it maybe that you don't need to start there... This brings me back to Goo's position. What the hell is wrong with starting with the PC? You read it here all the time, and that advice costs you nada! You don't need to get the BHK to get a handle on the Cuban cigar, and you could have learned that here for free!

A blend of more modest cigars, shared with friends (box splits) with a two cigar a week consumption rate, can have you enjoying many different cigars, and even at $10 each (not a necessity) can have you enjoying 8 different cigars a month for less than $100.00.

If you can afford a cell phone, you can get a handle on Cuban cigars, as stated, if you are smart about it.

-Piggy

• Like 4