"That's not a beetle"....THIS IS A BEETLE!

5 hours ago, GrouchoMarx said:

But - if I'm not mistaken - that is NOT a "tobacco beetle". (Looks way too big -  and there was only one).

SOOooooo the question is what kind of beetle is it, and how did it manage to survive?

We are pretty sure it belongs to this family. 

Powderpost Beetles

Powderpost Beetles

True Powderpost Beetles(Lyctidae):

The adults are very small, less than 1/4" in size. They are flattened and reddish-brown to black in color. Larvae are white, cream colored, c shaped with dark brown heads. Larvae create tunnels in the wood and become pupae. As adults, they bore out through the wood, pushing a fine powdery dust out.The shape of their holes are round , about 1/32-1/16 pinholes.

They attack hardwoods depositing their eggs. They can attack bamboo(technically a grass), but because of the large pores they will attack. Their diet is starch, sugar and protein in the sapwood of hardwoods Wood that is less than 6% moisture content is seldom attacked.The life cycle averages one year to complete.This wood-boring beetle is the most widespread in the United States. 

3 hours ago, shlomo said:

What happened to all the doubters of beetle's existence over the past several years? ROFL!!!

:confused:

just because you have installed a nice mouse prevention system

.........doesn't mean it will do much about a capybara   :wink2:

• Like 3

nasty looking critter..

That is one of the several reasons I buy from FOH.. The great team inspects before putting up for sale.. Thanks team

I keep my humidity ~ 65 - 67.. So, me think beetles should not be an issue.. Is my understanding correct?

crap.. Now I'm gonna have to inspect every stick in my humidor. There goes my day !!

Humidity control doesn't prevent beetle outbreaks, temperature control does. Did you mean 65 - 67 degrees Fahrenheit maybe?

10 hours ago, El Presidente said:

This. (different strokes for different ... :P)

But as we are at it, - and this is indeed an interesting case - don't want to be nitpicking, Rob, but in the pic, what I see is a dead animal.

I will also instantly give you my reasons why I am sceptical here: In the pic, the animal shows a very untypical leg (and body) posture. In addition - and that's actually the strongest indication for me -, there are also at least two legs (and perhaps also a bit of another tibia) broken off. Limbs don't come off easily in vivo, even when handling and manipulating with instruments such as tweezers. And I guess you didn't do that before taking the pics (?), apart from opening the cover. When alive, it will actually give you a tough time trying to rip out a leg from such a beetle, as they would usually pull them in close to the body. This rather looks to me like legs broken off from a dead specimen.

How sure are you, Rob and Adam, that this one has in fact still been alive? Did you actually watch it move around after you pulled it out from its "burrow", perhaps it even tried to fly off? Sometimes, in particular when observed under a microscope and not using a cold-light source, drying and heating effects can induce legs to perform slow movements, giving the impression of a live animal.

So while this is surely not a tobacco beetle, the question remains how and when it did get in there, and did it indeed survive the freezing procedure? Those species may indeed have a higher frost-tolerance than Lasioderma, but I doubt that such a species of wood boring beetle ("woodworm") would have easily survived the freezing process either. At least this here is rather looking like a case where an imago had been trapped in the box (in Cuba or elsewhere), rather than developing in it, due to the long, one to multiple-year long life cycle. My 2Cts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Or...if it is installed in Cuba, it won't do much for mice either...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Sure is a big beaver.....

• Like 1

On 07/02/2017 at 4:55 PM, El Presidente said:

We are pretty sure it belongs to this family. 

Powderpost Beetles

Powderpost Beetles

True Powderpost Beetles(Lyctidae):

The adults are very small, less than 1/4" in size. They are flattened and reddish-brown to black in color. Larvae are white, cream colored, c shaped with dark brown heads. Larvae create tunnels in the wood and become pupae. As adults, they bore out through the wood, pushing a fine powdery dust out.The shape of their holes are round , about 1/32-1/16 pinholes.

They attack hardwoods depositing their eggs. They can attack bamboo(technically a grass), but because of the large pores they will attack. Their diet is starch, sugar and protein in the sapwood of hardwoods Wood that is less than 6% moisture content is seldom attacked.The life cycle averages one year to complete.This wood-boring beetle is the most widespread in the United States. 

Wow - I suppose you can either put a leash on it and have a pet, or gut it and toss it on the BBQ?