Cigar Case Recommendations

24 minutes ago, PigFish said:

As people are posting different ideas on how to travel with a cigar now, I have a question to ask. How many of you keep your smaller travel cases, leather or wood cases, in your humidor?

I keep my empty tubos in a humidified (with Bovedas) Tupperware container, as well as my leather 3-finger case and several cedar sheet separators from dress boxes.  I use tubos or the leather case for a night out by myself, and my Xikar 10 count case for longer trips. Humidified cedar sheets go in my Xikar when travelling.

- MG

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

As people are posting different ideas on how to travel with a cigar now, I have a question to ask. How many of you keep your smaller travel cases, leather or wood cases, in your humidor?

This is something that I have done for sometime now. I mean why let your travel case, such as a leather one, get all dried when you can have it 'seasoned' and ready to go when you are?

Since humidor space is not a problem for me, I have been known to throw all sorts of things in a humidor. And if you want to keep your hygroscopic 'transporters' in line with your cigars, you should store them in your humidor with them!!!

Cheers! -Piggy

Would cases with glue be negatively affected being stored in humidity? I'm trying to think of any of my cases are constructed with glue on the exterior components? 

7 hours ago, PigFish said:

This is something that I have done for sometime now. I mean why let your travel case, such as a leather one, get all dried when you can have it 'seasoned' and ready to go when you are?

Since humidor space is not a problem for me, I have been known to throw all sorts of things in a humidor. And if you want to keep your hygroscopic 'transporters' in line with your cigars, you should store them in your humidor with them!!!

Cheers! -Piggy

I keep both Xikar cases (5 & 15 ct) and my leather 3 finger case in my humi. I do it more for convenience, as everything is kept in the one spot .

I have a 15 count Xikar travel humidor but I rarely use it anymore. Rather, I use a varnished 10 count Cohiba Piramides Extra box when I'm on the go. I don't even bother with a boveda pack anymore...no need, average relative humidity is so stable year round in my part of the world that the box serves its purpose as a temporary humidor.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:48 PM, PigFish said:

I kinda' like my Cohiba case. It will hold a Monte Esp. or Lanceros in favor of those fat short cigars that are all the rage!

DSCN1570.JPG

-Piggy

I almost spit out my wine when I saw "resident cigar climatologist" next to your name.  That's some serious street cred!

I have a 15 count Xikar travel humidor but I rarely use it anymore. Rather, I use a varnished 10 count Cohiba Piramides Extra box when I'm on the go. I don't even bother with a boveda pack anymore...no need, average relative humidity is so stable year round in my part of the world that the box serves its purpose as a temporary humidor.

Likewise I have a Monte Edmundo leather travel case but always use a varnished Secretos box, which doubles as a dry box at home. Every time I check its humidity it's always close to 60. Good enough for moi.

Recommendation? Tubos!

Own a couple of cases of diff. kind - never actually use them!
When it comes to practicality, it is like with my lighters - I always grab the working horse instead of the chichi, and that's a tubo (or two or three...). While cases are looking nice - if you ask me, the best, the perfect transportation means is a tubo. Can't quite follow the fuss about carrying cases, and I don't get it why on earth I keep on buying this gewgaw once and again when I come across a - what I consider at that moment - nice one....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnInCleveland said:

I almost spit out my wine when I saw "resident cigar climatologist" next to your name.  That's some serious street cred!

... let that be a lesson to you! Don't drink and post!!! -LOL

If the shoe fits baby... only if the shoe fits! -tP

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2017 at 0:15 PM, PigFish said:

Agree with the logic regarding humidity, but I keep them separate to reduce the risk of introducing foreign contaminants into the humi.  My travel cases have seen a few places.  Sometimes outside camping, etc.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:02 PM, El Presidente said:

The best I have found (and use religiously is this one: The leather imparts no discernable flavour. 

http://www.fohclassifieds.com/2016/10/04/cigar-case-2/

Ok Rob, I have trusted your stick reviews and now I am running with your travel case review.  I ordered one and can't wait for it to come!  Looks like a great case.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Reviving this thread... all the links are dead including the fohclassified one (what case was that?)

I've got the smaller Dupont/Cohiba two-cigar case, which barely fits two robustos. Would like a three-cigar leather case for going out in the evening, preferably high-quality hard leather. 

Any recommendations?

1 hour ago, patrickamory said:

Reviving this thread... all the links are dead including the fohclassified one (what case was that?)

I've got the smaller Dupont/Cohiba two-cigar case, which barely fits two robustos. Would like a three-cigar leather case for going out in the evening, preferably high-quality hard leather. 

Any recommendations?

When I was in Houston a few weeks ago I checked out an elie bleu 3 stick case in a color they call Havana. I very much liked it though it seemed big to me. It's been on my mind since, though. 

55 minutes ago, Meesterjojo said:

When I was in Houston a few weeks ago I checked out an elie bleu 3 stick case in a color they call Havana. I very much liked it though it seemed big to me. It's been on my mind since, though. 

This? That looks super nice.

https://www.northwoodshumidors.com/elie-bleu-brown-havana-patina-2-3-cigar-leather-case/

• Like 1

Reading this old thread made me check my cigar cases - I only use 4 all the time, a 3 finger Cohiba, a 3 finger Partagas, a JJ Fox and an old WWI vintage case with the GB coat of arms plus 2 Xikar 5 count  and 10 count boxes ...

So I have 6 cigars cases that lay around and I never use.

3 are leather, made in Spain, 1 is leather with cedar insert and the Swiss flag and 2 are ultra light weight carbon fibre, Swiss made I believe.

01.jpg.f0af6c8979f65d024aabaf92ddb9191f.jpg

02.jpg.c90b1dd9334106012b77d7163ce5fff3.jpg

03.jpg.1c74374627b4cecf5f8536e30a88b368.jpg

03a.jpg.92499ee7b564a7bb60a96e34da805b08.jpg

04.jpg.79dc296ee5e61377114c8c56c9aba6c7.jpg

05.jpg.a1d1b42ad4f65e2fc6cb9f22e2484226.jpg

05a.jpg.a63207ebc1f2de5ba0ef6d8aef1753a5.jpg

06.jpg.ab6b64b61d13222f43f1e5168836ee4d.jpg

07.jpg.ccc6cc5ea38c5633887df6d0438dcce9.jpg

• Like 1