Is different cigars touching an issue?

52 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Never let tubos touch, this could cause electrolysis and spontaneous combustion!!! Touching tubos should only be stored in pure argon gas! Argon helps develop plume by the way...

-the Pig

Yes yes. This I have heard of. My neighbors garage man-cave thing burnt to the ground. 

images.jpeg

Coming from the pipe world as I do, I keep "genres" of cigars separate -- just in case.  Any remaining NCs I keep in sealed boxes.  For loose CC sticks in trays, I keep lighter leaf separate from darker and maduro leaf.

Does it matter?  Maybe not.  But I was recently watching some of the FOH video reviews (not sure if recent or a bit older), but I think Rob mentioned the Siglo VI / Genios wrapper experiment in which they removed the wrappers from those two sticks and switched them -- resulting in the Siglo tasting like the Genios, and the Genios tasting like the Siglo.  To me, this indicates that in some cases the wrapper can impart a significant flavor to the end result.  Does this mean that tobacco-on-tobacco contact for cigars is as important as it is for pipe tobacco (where the surface area contact is much higher, and the difference in aromatic qualifies of the various leaf in use can be more significant)?  Not necessarily, but  I do think tobacco-on-tobacco contact over long years may result in some exchange of oils and flavors.  Keeping broad groupings apart is a compromise, doesn't take a lot space or work, and is both precautionary and speculative. 

Ok... I just dug out Rob's post from 2008, for reference.  In fairness, this was 9 years ago, and we may know more now than we knew then, so I might be operating under old data.  And this is just one of several links in my chain of reasoning, which might be all hogwash anyway.  :-)

Coming from the pipe world as I do, I keep "genres" of cigars separate -- just in case.  Any remaining NCs I keep in sealed boxes.  For loose CC sticks in trays, I keep lighter leaf separate from darker and maduro leaf.

Does it matter?  Maybe not.  But I was recently watching some of the FOH video reviews (not sure if recent or a bit older), but I think Rob mentioned the Siglo VI / Genios wrapper experiment in which they removed the wrappers from those two sticks and switched them -- resulting in the Siglo tasting like the Genios, and the Genios tasting like the Siglo.  To me, this indicates that in some cases the wrapper can impart a significant flavor to the end result.  Does this mean that tobacco-on-tobacco contact for cigars is as important as it is for pipe tobacco (where the surface area contact is much higher, and the difference in aromatic qualifies of the various leaf in use can be more significant)?  Not necessarily, but  I do think tobacco-on-tobacco contact over long years may result in some exchange of oils and flavors.  Keeping broad groupings apart is a compromise, doesn't take a lot space or work, and is both precautionary and speculative. 

Ok... I just dug out Rob's post from 2008, for reference.  In fairness, this was 9 years ago, and we may know more now than we knew then, so I might be operating under old data.  And this is just one of several links in my chain of reasoning, which might be all hogwash anyway.  :-)

Apples and oranges - you can't compare pipe tobacco which at least has glycol if not flavoring agents with cigars at all.

8 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

Apples and oranges - you can't compare pipe tobacco which at least has glycol if not flavoring agents with cigars at all.

Right.  Only mentioned here to indicate that my default position is to avoid mixing cigars: first to keep NC and CC apart, and then to add a "light" and "dark/maduro" distinction (more or less).

Your anti-gravitic flavortron osmosis proposal is intriguing.  

(Total sidebar: If it were possible to move the flavortrons around, I wonder if you'd want a flavor concentration toward the first third, or the final third?  If it's me, I'd prefer it toward the final third so the cigar tends to improve as you smoke it.  Maybe you could just clip the first third off and rather than going from "ok to good to great", you just experience the "good to great" part?  But, uh, *cough*.  Back to reality...  Sortof...)

22 hours ago, PigFish said:

Never let tubos touch, this could cause electrolysis and spontaneous combustion!!! Touching tubos should only be stored in pure argon gas! Argon helps develop plume by the way...

-the Pig

Thanks I have been wondering about storing my tubos

Any thoughts on the Caramilk secret?

Your anti-gravitic flavortron osmosis proposal is intriguing.  

(Total sidebar: If it were possible to move the flavortrons around, I wonder if you'd want a flavor concentration toward the first third, or the final third?  If it's me, I'd prefer it toward the final third so the cigar tends to improve as you smoke it.  Maybe you could just clip the first third off and rather than going from "ok to good to great", you just experience the "good to great" part?  But, uh, *cough*.  Back to reality...  Sortof...)

That's it - I am from now on putting all my cigars into watch winders.

5 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

Not knowing the level of your cigar ages or quantity, here is my general comment.

If you let singles, pairs or fivers come in to open touching from elsewhere, freeze'm for a day then let them play.

CB

Why aren't you cosmopolitan! -LOL

-Piggy

• Like 1