Rafael Gonzalez Perlas Question

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a big big fan of these. They present such value for money. They do need some time down to lose some water, they seem sensitive to it, a little more than Monte 5. Ive experienced favours more

I couldn't resist to buy one of those cute Cabinets.These are indeed repacked Petacas and the Cabinets were bought by 5th Avenue. They are totally different to Cuban Cabinets. Massive wood instead of

Exactly. The pc, with age, becomes much more complex and refined. But the Perla, in my experience, is ready ROTT. The same relationship can be said of the Monte 4 and Monte 5, IMO.

On 1/29/2017 at 10:33 PM, JohnS said:

The Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas have come up a few times on 24:24 sales in the last few years but in that time I only remember the Perlas coming up once, and that was a few months ago. Of course they sold out in minutes. @Smallclub has them in his rotation, like @soutso, so that would be enough recommendation for me. I must admit it's one marca I haven't been able to grab, which I mean to rectify.

Don't worry @JohnS I will rectify that for you :) See you at Havanathon!

• Thanks 1

On October 25, 2017 at 12:25 PM, losttrailer said:

I couldn't resist to buy one of those cute Cabinets.These are indeed repacked Petacas and the Cabinets were bought by 5th Avenue. They are totally different to Cuban Cabinets. Massive wood instead of plywood, the slide-top is not mill cut and they are packed NC-style.

RG_Perlas_01_small.thumb.jpg.08f12d8f7b34c3f51375e3f60a3154ff.jpg

RG_Perlas_03_small.thumb.jpg.c31a8b406cdc8f5074fa01283c457b89.jpg

Like Klaus i didn't like them when they were released but after three years they came around nicely and since then i stocked up whenever i got to Spain.  I forgot to bring some this year and was down to my last Petaca, so had a good excuse to buy this one ;-)

That looks awesome great looking boxes

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you very much. German shops are generally more expensive due to the taxes, not as much as UK though :-)

Given this is a german only packaging release, you're going to have to bite that bullet... and find a german shop that actually ships to your location.

19 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

Given this is a german only packaging release, you're going to have to bite that bullet... and find a german shop that actually ships to your location.

They generally do not ship to Turkey, either. I will wait until my next trip to DE unless a friend comes to Istanbul earlier. Lets see.

Can anybody comment on quality? Are they inspected/selected before boxing? I have 50% luck in blind buys of 25ers. What about 50ers?

• 2 months later...
This has come up a few times already, John, and I guess Lotus is aware of that already. E.g. see the post below from a few weeks ago (my reply to Lotusguy to the end of my post).
Those new 5th-Ave cabs are repacked cigars from 2013, and my strong conjecture is (although nowhere mentioned), those are repackaged from cardboard packs (it's the only option making sense). That said, they don't need to be bad sticks at all, I still got 2012er petacas which are smoking superbly. The 50-cabs are even coming at a discount compared to current 25er dress boxes (which might tell us something - or not.... ). Cheers, mate!

Just a bit of an update.
The latest 50 cabs are made up from 25 count boxes from 2017 according to Christoph at LCdH Hamburg.
I'll let you all know how they are when mine arrive soon...

14 hours ago, Akela3rd said:

Just a bit of an update.
The latest 50 cabs are made up from 25 count boxes from 2017 according to Christoph at LCdH Hamburg.
I'll let you all know how they are when mine arrive soon...

Not saying I doubt that info (everything's possible), but a bit weird. According to other reliable sources it is - or has originally been - 2013 stock. This appears plausible to me in the case of surplus cardboard stock that was floating around, and also given that older petacas were frequently available in sales, too. But it wouldn't make much sense (to me) to repack fresh production and then granting a discount on them, while at the same time you can get current production in their original boxes. But who knows, perhaps they need to rid the last cab-boxes of which they made a wee bit too many....

Well, if you ordered some yourself you'll be able to check whether those are box-pressed or not (early bands were differing as well). Thanks for the update!

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

Not saying I doubt that info (everything's possible), but a bit weird. According to other reliable sources it is - or has originally been - 2013 stock. This appears plausible to me in the case of surplus cardboard stock that was floating around, and also given that older petacas were frequently available in sales, too. But it wouldn't make much sense (to me) to repack fresh production and then granting a discount on them, while at the same time you can get current production in their original boxes. But who knows, perhaps they need to rid the last cab-boxes of which they made a wee bit too many....

Well, if you ordered some yourself you'll be able to check whether those are box-pressed or not (early bands were differing as well). Thanks for the update!

To be fair he did start with the caveat "from what I know"...but then again he is one of the directors. Like you say, we'll see when they arrive. 

• Like 1

Could anyone be so kind as to pm me with a vendor to order this from, Spanish if possible 
cheers

It's a german only release - why would a Spanish vendor carry them?

On 2018-02-06 at 2:18 PM, Fugu said:

Just received these. 

444BFF2D-56E6-4AAB-93B6-50F187E2B72C.thumb.jpeg.bcaeaf7d6dd8b610eccf1bdca251cc3e.jpeg

No hint of which year they are from...

Definitely not box pressed.

Superb quality by the looks of it.

• Like 2

Just received these. 
444BFF2D-56E6-4AAB-93B6-50F187E2B72C.thumb.jpeg.bcaeaf7d6dd8b610eccf1bdca251cc3e.jpeg
No hint of which year they are from...
Definitely not box pressed.
Superb quality by the looks of it.

Not consistent wrapper shades either. That jives very much with the idea that these are repackaged petacas.