Rafael Gonzalez Perlas Question

50 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

This thread makes you think that the Perla is a mediocre cigar? Everything that has being said about the Perla could be applied to the pc…

@Smallclub I have two boxes of Perlas ordered. Amazing price... Well worth it even if mediocre...I enjoy a mediocre Cuban almost as much as I do a good NC. I think they are going to hit the spot and help me age some of my Robustos that I constantly burn through irregardless of time. 

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a big big fan of these. They present such value for money. They do need some time down to lose some water, they seem sensitive to it, a little more than Monte 5. Ive experienced favours more

I couldn't resist to buy one of those cute Cabinets.These are indeed repacked Petacas and the Cabinets were bought by 5th Avenue. They are totally different to Cuban Cabinets. Massive wood instead of

Exactly. The pc, with age, becomes much more complex and refined. But the Perla, in my experience, is ready ROTT. The same relationship can be said of the Monte 4 and Monte 5, IMO.

Personally, I love the Perla, but you have to find a good box (i.e. inspect before purchasing, or trust a good merchant like Rob to inspect for you).

When I went to Havana with the FOH crew in November '16, the first box of cigars I bought there was a 25-box of RG Perlas, found one with a 2013 code IIRC (either 2013 or 2014).  They were absolutely superb, I smoked them as my daily cigar, and shared around with many.  I never got any acridity in mine, just lovely chocolate, white pepper, and a smooth creamy finish.  I think I only had one left by the time I left for home.

They are great cigars. Just need to do the sanity check for good aromas/wrappers, IMO.  With ready funds, I would easily buy more boxes.

I think the flavor that stands out to me the most in RG Perlas is that rich, toasted tobacco backbone. Very similar to the toasted tobacco backbone in a Sancho Panza non plus (minus the salt) Very tasty!

Outstanding little smoke. I would love to try some Petit Coronas from RG.

• Like 3

So you aren't gonna believe the crazy thing happened to me today!  I was out getting in my car and over up against the neighbors retaining wall was what looked like a small postage box.  I walked over and lo and behold it was a package for me!  Thanks @fabes for the bomb!  Awesome BOTL!  Good thing I went over and checked things out.  At least the mailman got it sort of close to my house!

IMG_0492.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Zombie thread!  

Couldnt help it tho.  Just picked up 50 of these via 2 5x5 packs. Killer deal on em, so why not go for it blind? ?  Got the 5x5 for the ease of transport given some upcoming travel. If just average, I won't mind having out to my companions on the journey.

So you aren't gonna believe the crazy thing happened to me today!  I was out getting in my car and over up against the neighbors retaining wall was what looked like a small postage box.  I walked over and lo and behold it was a package for me!  Thanks @fabes for the bomb!  Awesome BOTL!  Good thing I went over and checked things out.  At least the mailman got it sort of close to my house!

IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.52d0b33752dc14a1f32956b55cc7da24.JPG

Why do the first two look similar and different than the next two that look similar to each other?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, kalibratecuba said:

Why do the first two look similar and different than the next two that look similar to each other?

@fabes has possibly sent @zeedubbya a couple of Rafael Gonzalez Perlas that are pre-2010, when the band changed.

Incidentally, I've finally been able to source a box of Rafael Gonzalez Perlas from a recent 24:24. Thank you @El Presidente for sorting out for these boxes, the ones I've had so far have been superb, just like what has been intimated in this thread from many of you.

• Like 1

I'm stoked. I only kept 10 from a RG lonsdale box split years ago.  Sold off five and smokes the other 5.  So dumb, but glad to grace the humi with RGs presence again soon!

Nailed it. The darker band on the perlas on the left is 2013 box code and the two with lighter color band are from a 2012 box. 

Having smoked a couple more of them, the perla still leaves me confused. I feel like they are suited for Christmas time, but the petit corona is still my favorite of the bunch by a long shot. 

@fabes has possibly sent @zeedubbya a couple of Rafael Gonzalez Perlas that are pre-2010, when the band changed.

Incidentally, I've finally been able to source a box of Rafael Gonzalez Perlas from a recent 24:24. Thank you @El Presidente for sorting out for these boxes, the ones I've had so far have been superb, just like what has been intimated in this thread from many of you.

That makes sense. I was leaning towards macular degeneration on my part or quality control.

I'm always considering smoking only cigars under 5 inches and cigars 6 inches or over with under 40 ring gauges. Many people on here seem to share that preference here. What I'm saying is, don't buy up my future stock.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, peckinpahhombre said:

They are a deal here in Canada. I ordered a box and loved them and have socked away three more boxes.  All were 2012 box codes, straight from the Habanos distributor here in Canada.  Not big sellers I am told, and so they have aged stock.

I think that's the deal worldwide. Hence the sale.  I'm game, but my fear is discontinuation. Will report the code on exthey land in Atlanta GA

1 hour ago, peckinpahhombre said:

They are a deal here in Canada.

They are a deal almost everywhere. Price is €2.64 in Cuba and in Spain, €3.60 in Italy, €4.20 in Germany, €4.40 in France and Benelux, etc.

They are a deal almost everywhere. Price is €2.64 in Cuba and in Spain, €3.60 in Italy, €4.20 in Germany, €4.40 in France and Benelux, etc.

I think what he meant was that with the insane taxes in Canada placed on tobacco, they probably are only, and I say only, 8 bucks a stick plus 13 percent HST. lol. Instead of paying 28 bucks plus HST for a PSD4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a helluva smoke at any price, really. I have yet to try the RGPC. I think a touch of burnt sugar sweetness would just elevate that great toasted tobacco flavor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fabes said:

Nailed it. The darker band on the perlas on the left is 2013 box code and the two with lighter color band are from a 2012 box. 

Having smoked a couple more of them, the perla still leaves me confused. I feel like they are suited for Christmas time, but the petit corona is still my favorite of the bunch by a long shot. 

These are long gone!  The lighter banded ones were a bit better.  I will be making many more purchases of these in the future for sure.  Cheers again @fabes, they were right up my alley for sure!!  

Although...I am thrilled the Asia Pac. RE will be a RG this year.  In a Britanicas Extra.  I may have to sell a kidney to go deep on these.  The pics on CCW look great if you haven't seen them already! 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 30/01/2017 at 10:23 AM, Lotusguy said:

Since when do RG Perlas come in 50 cabs? Or any kind of cabs, actually?

I came across this question in another thread and after a little research this morning I found that yes, 50 cabs of RG Perlas are currently offered exclusively for the German Regional distributor.

Klaus, I've sent you a pm with more details. I have no doubt you'll confirm more in person on your next trip to Germany.

38 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I came across this question in another thread and after a little research this morning I found that yes, 50 cabs of RG Perlas are currently offered exclusively for the German Regional distributor.

Klaus, I've sent you a pm with more details. I have no doubt you'll confirm more in person on your next trip to Germany.

I reached out to that distributor a few weeks back and was informed that the 50 cabs are issued by the German Importer 5th Avenue under license of Habanos. Furthermore, they do have the usual green seal and importer seal, but do not have factory stamps on the bottom of the box.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, fabes said:

I reached out to that distributor a few weeks back and was informed that the 50 cabs are issued by the German Importer 5th Avenue under license of Habanos. Furthermore, they do have the usual green seal and importer seal, but do not have factory stamps on the bottom of the box.

Interesting, isn't it? There are less than 10 regular production cigars that come in 50 cabs, with some 50 cabs packaging deleted in 2017 (Punch Double Corona and Punch Punch come to mind) and now a regionally-distributed 50 cab release comes out for Rafael Gonzalez Perlas! Who would have thought?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Interesting, isn't it? There are less than 10 regular production cigars that come in 50 cabs, with some 50 cabs packaging deleted in 2017 (Punch Double Corona and Punch Punch cone to mind) and now a regionally-distributed 50 cab release comes out for Rafael Gonzalez Perlas! Who would have thought?

Speaking of interesting, this looks like the first time RG is offered in SLB packaging. Outside of the Cigarritos coming in a SBN packaging all other RG are dress boxes.

Sad about the deletions, but pretty cool to see these come around. Hopefully we will see more offerings like this! I would think H.Upmann Half Coronas would also be a great candidate for a 50 cab packaging. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

This has come up a few times already, John, and I guess Lotus is aware of that already. E.g. see the post below from a few weeks ago (my reply to Lotusguy to the end of my post).

Those new 5th-Ave cabs are repacked cigars from 2013, and my strong conjecture is (although nowhere mentioned), those are repackaged from cardboard packs (it's the only option making sense). That said, they don't need to be bad sticks at all, I still got 2012er petacas which are smoking superbly. The 50-cabs are even coming at a discount compared to current 25er dress boxes (which might tell us something - or not.... ;)). Cheers, mate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @Fugu! No doubt they are repackaged cigars. Still, it's weird for Rafael Gonzalez cigars to firstly not come in a dress box and secondly not contain the famous English text on the box to 'smoke immediately or rest for one year'.

I spotted the 50 cabs about a month ago as I was looking for RG Perlas. I too was intrigued and assumed at first that it was an iffy repackaging job. A bit of research etc and found them to be legit. I did notice the lack of ribbon & box code etc in pictures so Goo's theory of repurposed cardboard packs makes sense.

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

Still, it's weird for Rafael Gonzalez cigars to firstly not come in a dress box and secondly not contain the famous English text on the box to 'smoke immediately or rest for one year'.

That's because it is not a "genuine" Cuban release. They are repackaged by 5thAve in Waldshut-Tiengen. That's also why they are not carrying box codes nor the Cuban warranty seal. These are non-boxpressed cigars, so the cab-repackaging (SLBs also liklely not made in Cuba) seems to be the most logical option, apart from jar or tin perhaps.

Side note - the Cigarritos were also lacking that "famous" text (of course due to the SBN box) and the Perlas dress box isn't carrying it either (neither does the Petit Piramides, for that matter...). So, that actually wouldn't be the first time here.

• Like 1